50 and over 5k and beyond

May 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 12 times)

az2mntrail You don't have long now till your next race. I think you must be in good shape for it. 

There is a Half Fanatics club for those who do HM's close together.  www.halffanatics.com  They are a sister club to the marathon maniacs.

Somehow, I signed up for 56 hrs. at work this week.  So I only have 2 days for running.  Today 10 miles plus some yard work.

Chantilly:  OMgoodness, 56 hours!?! By mistake?  Hope it's not a result of running, LOL!! A forced cut-back week is good, right? Good job on your consistent long runs.  Yeah, was thinking of that .......half fanatics.......somehow being 'half-crazy' sounds better, HAHA!   I feel as ready as I can be for my 25K trail race. Only 8 days left, can't wait!!

adkkev

http://www.gulflive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/04/can_you_get_the_bird_flu_from.html

adkkev: This is our latest news about turkey here in the midwest.  Hope it gets better by fall season.  Probably will cost more regardless.  Does your son bring fresh (frozen) salmon, etc when he visits?  DH and I are always surprised and confused why salmon, etc. doesn't cost any less (than the midwest, southwest) when we visit Alaska or WA state.  Maybe it has to do with WHEN we visit.  Do you go turkey hunting with him?  Don't you love the solitude of running on a nature trail all by yourself? Especially on a beautiful day as you say.  Does your son run?

There are two turkey seasons in NY ... one in May, one in October.  In May you can only get one tom turkey.  In October you can get a tom or a hen.  Hunting times are between sunrise and noon.

I don't go turkey hunting with him ... I stick with fishing!

He has brought salmon back with him at least once ... he brought back some moose once as well.  But we've had salmon, moose, and caribou while up visiting him (he's shot/caught it all).  This past fall he went dip netting for salmon - he & his fishing buddy came home with 76 of them - 36 salmon apiece is a LOT of salmon!!

My son tried his hand at running - we ran the Equinox marathon in Fairbanks as a part of a 3 man relay team a couple years ago - our team managed to finish 44th out of 146 teams.  But that pretty much ended his running career ... he has a wonky knee & not all that much enthusiasm for running.  Now on the other hand he can hike/backpack like there's no tomorrow.

And yes, I like running on the trail by myself ... just boggles my mind that there aren't more people out enjoying it on such beautiful afternoons!!  But I'll take it ...

Lastly ... 3.5 miles at lunch time today, running on the streets/sidewalks around the office neighborhood.  Sunny & warm!!  Decided to get the run in then because we're going to see Brian Regan tonight ... won't get an opportunity to get a run in after work.

Chantilly75

Art in AZ  Bleacher workout plus the pull up bar are good additions to your runs.

Yes, this will be 4x 12 hr nights and a day 8. Won't be making this mistake again. 

az2mntrail Did you have fun at the dance?

NH Runner Good luck on your 5 Km. Have fun with the family.

So…..are you just talkin' turkey or carrying ammo?   Maybe a bow and arrow?....in keeping with the arm workouts and all.

adkkev You did some lunch runs last year. Not as scenic as your trail. But a good use of your time.

7 miles. Back to work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Wed, 5/6/15, 9.5 easy miles in 1:21:49 - last 3 miles at a quicker pace.

Thu, 5/7/15, 9 easy miles in 1:19:18 - it was raining, so wore a jacket.  Rain stopped about a mile in ran another 1/2 mile before taking off jacket and carrying in left hand.  Covered watch up so was kind of just running.  Around 6 miles took a peak at time and realized I need to speed up if I was going to keep it under 9 mpm for whole session. At 7 miles was right at 9mpm, but a tad over so kind of just went.  Last mile was one of my fastest non-treadmill training miles...

Fri, 5/8/15, 10 tempo miles in 1:21:18 - last 9 at sub 8mpm - felt good except for last mile (uphill and into the wind) but pretty happy with the work out.

Chantilly - 56 hours?  Sure hope you're getting OT for that!  Good that you got some runs in.

adkkev - BIL and nephews hunt, mostly deer.  BIL has taken up bow hunting. I think it's good to know where your food comes from.  Is Alaska the only state w/o wild turkeys?

NHRich - Good luck tomorrow!  And especially have fun!  Definitely think races are better when there are lots people you know running with you.

Az - Tape time!  Yes!  Not sure about the ball room dancing...definitely would need lessons and DW would need to be patient and have a pair of Rich's steel toed dance shoes...

Art - Some good runs recently, if not long.  Need to find you some more races.

Ray

NH Runner

Saturday, 5/9... 4 miles total today, ran the 5K in 26:13.    Everyone's GPS said the course was long and it's not certified, so probably is.    I'm happy with that time, the hills don't let up 'til the last mile.    Anyway, that was good for 2nd in age group, but don't know where I fit in overall.   Son-in-law ran 27:--, DD, 35:-- and granddaughter 33:--.    Lots of fun...

adkkev... dressing in camo and walking through the woods sounding like a turkey during turkey season doesn't appeal to everyone...lol    You've got a pretty good handle on this running stuff, you keep it low key and fun...

Chantilly... yes, I carry ammo.   No archery equipment, although I used to back in the day.    I got my arm workout last year when I carried a 20 lb. bird two miles back to my rig...lol   Hang in there with work!

Ray... nice runs earlier this week!   Especially liked the 10 @ tempo, wow!

NH: Hey, you did great!! Beating family members!! Your training and pace times have its rewards!! YAY!! GOOD JOB  And congrats to everyone in the family.

Fri: at 9 am, it was about 34 degrees, 13-20mph wind, feels like 24 degrees and 88% humidity!    Leg muscles felt refreshed so finished 7.1 mile easy run; to the lake and around fairgrounds again.  Wind was a bummer but kept telling myself that weather conditions could be similar or worse for my upcoming 25K Trail Race next week.  Could have gone further but need to 'taper' ........and had a get together with friends for dinner.  Chantilly:  ballroom dancing was relaxing;  learned a couple of new steps!!  Visited with others we had not seen for awhile.

Today (Sat): temp was around 45 degrees, 10mph wind, feels 44 degrees and 56% humidity ........a bit warmer! LOL!!  DH was irritated that the university gym closed the pool area for some maintenance, didn't have any notice!!  So he asked if I wanted to go for a run while he biked the mtn bike trail at Movil Maze.  I was ready in 5 minutes!    Nice cool run, quiet and only ones on the dirt trail. Finished 4.1 miles.  So finished with 5 days of running this week, total for week: 27.4 miles.  Good cut-back week when compared to last week:  44.5 total miles.

justrundan

AZ- 34 degrees!  Yikes, glad that didn't make it down here!  Thanks for the trail running tips, those will help.

Chantilly- wow, you did have a busy week.   Good job squeezing in the runs between those long shifts.

adkkev- yes, Alaskans like their wild game/fish.  My nephew lives there and he and wife do the gill netting every year.  LOTS of salmon!

Nice runs Ray, aka Mr Speed!

Rich- nice 5K time.  Fun to run with family.  Especially fun to run with your Granddaughter.  Start 'em young.

Just rested early in the week, then 6.5 Friday, long hills mostly, and today DW went out with me for the first time in about 2 years.  Nice run/walk, 4.2 miles.  Her foot is doing OK, as long as she doesn't push it too much.

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms on the forum.   Hope you get spoiled tomorrow!

Dan

NH Runner

Sunday, 5/10... 10 mile railtrail run today at an easy pace, gave me 35 running miles for the week and another 13 riding the tryke.

az... thanks!   My granddaughter's 13 and running track this year, but this was her first 5K.    D.D. and son-in-law just took up running a few months ago, so the victory dance I did after the race was probably in bad taste, but I don't care!     The main thing is they all seem to enjoy running and racing and I'd really like to see them stay with it.   Your training's going well for the 25K that's coming, running in less than perfect weather is good training.    Your cut-back week was spot-on too, nice!

Dan... thanks!    Here's to more runs with DW at your side, after 2 years, it must have fun for her to be able go with you as well.    6.5 miles of long hills is good stuff!

Art in AZ

Quick post in between activities today.

What a beautiful Sunday morning it was. Comfortably cool and. sunny. Needed to run after 4 busy days of work sitting most of the time. Managed to squeeze in a quick 3 mile run Sat. morning. So this mornings plan was to get in 9 miles along the canal and enjoy a slow relaxing run. Felt good all around so added another 3 miles and made it a 12 mile run today. Felt I could have done a couple more but needed to get back and start the day's activities.

Rich - Nice run at the 5K. Especially running with the family.

Good running everyone. Off to have lunch now.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

Nice running everyone!!!

Spent most of Saturday planting flowers around the yard & veggies in our small garden.  Good thing there was a decent breeze because that sun was pretty hot!!

Our for Mother's Day brunch, courtesy of our younger son.  So much food!!  But everything was delicious.

Because it was pretty humid & it looked like rain, I went over to the gym & spin cycled 16 miles.  Hope that worked off some of the Mother's Day brunch!

rmcj001

NHRich - Congrats!  Well, done. A certified course will almost always read long, since part of the certification is to make sure the minimum distance traveled is at least the certified distance.  Wouldn't worry about either way, that's why the AG award is a good measure.  Sounds like everyone had fun and that's important!  Keep it up and stay healthy!

Az - That's some good mileage.  You're going to do great!  Love that you and DH were able to exercise together, priceless!

Dan - Good to hear that your DW's foot is better.  Keep here moving, but don't overdo it.  I'm still working on improving, not sure how long it will last.  I know at some point I'm going to start slowing down and am just trying to hold it off as long as possible.  I guess you can say I'm running "scared" 

Art - Loved that you squeezed an an extra 3 miles on your long run!  That's just great!  Good to get the run in before doing the "other" stuff!

adkkev -  Good workout with the gardening and spinning.

Saturday, 4 mile TM run in 33:40 - a quick progressive run to keep streak going.

Sunday, 10 mile inadvertent progressive run around home in 1:21:22. From mile 2 on were at MP pace or better, with last 2 miles under 8mpm.  Mile 4 and 5 were essentially same speed and figure with error we call them the same and gives me my progressive run.

This week should be a cut back week with a race on Sunday- we'll see how things go...

Ray

NH Runner

Monday, 5/11... 8 mile tryke ride on the railtrail followed later in the day by an easy 2 mile recovery run.   I wanted a little more distance in the run, but a thunderstorm was brewing, so I chickened out...    Slowly increasing the distance on the tryke rides, the railtrail is 9 miles long, so the potential's there to ride 18, but we'll see.

Art... thanks!  That 12 miler says a lot about your fitness level, not bad for an old guy!

adkkev... sounds like a busy day yesterday and fun.   Nice workout at the gym!

Ray... thanks!    I think this latest form change is going to keep me healthy, but it's still a little early to be sure.   I've avoided speed work like the plague and other than a few minor aches and pains, am feeling pretty good.   81 minutes for a 10 mile run ain't too shabby, if you're on fresh legs for Sunday's race, you'll do great!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 5/12... double today, 4 miles in the turkey woods followed later by an 8 mile road run.    Had two young toms come to the call this morning, "jakes" are toms born the previous spring and they're like teenagers with hormones raging, they'll actually run to the sound of a hen at times...lol   I'm after bigger fish.

Once the run got underway, I tried to run what I thought might be my half marathon pace for miles 2 thru 6, 9:12, 8:40, 8:32, 8:32, 8:38, 8:34, 9:27 and 9:11.   Those middle miles might have a little "wishful thinking" attached to 'em, but we'll see.   Got caught in the rain the last mile...

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning. After a few days in the mid 90s another cold front is coming through and the temps are expected to be mid 70s Friday and Saturday. We'll see. Would make for good running weather.

adkkev - Planted anything special in the garden?

Ray - Good luck this weekend at the race. You'll do great.

Rich - Hopefully your luck includes seeing something better later. Nice pace on the run.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Running with the watch covered up is a good idea from time to time. Good to hear that you had some rain. Some nice runs there.

NH Runner Congratulations on your race. That's a good 5Km time for a new 13 yr. old runner. It is nice to run with family.

az2mntrail A couple of good weeks for you before the race. But still fairly cold there for May.

justrundan 6.5 after your race is a good run.  Nice that your wife's foot is feeling better.

Art in AZ Sounds like some good runs along the canal for you.  I saw some people running along those when I was on vacation a few years ago. I thought they must be hot, since there is no shade?

adkkev Cycling is a good substitute.

12 miles. Avatar is from the ET midnight marathon at dawn.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica