50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

WDWRich

Deb - Got to love the autumn.  It was always our favorite season when we live in the Northeast.  Enjoy!

Bumped up to 5 miles this weekend, and still no pain in the Achilles.  Really happy about that.  Will do a couple of 3-mile maintenance runs during the week and then run a 10k distance on Saturday.  Looking forward to it.

Run strong everyone.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

justrundan

Debra- I've been pondering spring races.  DCHM is very tempting, but haven't decided for sure.  At the Fox Cities we didn't get there in time to locate pace groups.  They had 3 corrals, and I was in the 2:00-2:30, but we got there just minutes before the start, so we kind of 'oozed' into the crowd as they slowly moved forward.  I saw the 2:15 pacers starting at about mile 5, and tried to keep them in sight.  The last 3 miles was a struggle and I suddenly realized i couldn't find them.  I knew I was on pace to a little better than 2:15, so thought maybe they had been 2:15 gun time???  After the race we found DS good friend who was running it with us; she expected 2:05-2:10, but she told us we had passed her and the 2:15 pace group around mile 11-12 or so.  I hadn't even seen them!  So I sorta used them, but not the entire way.

Rich-glad the Achilles is behaving.  Keep up the good work.

Well, I'm 0-for October, as in no miles yet.  Ran my usual route, 4.4 last Monday, then life and work and the motorcycle trip got in the way.  Enjoyed the ride despite wet cool weather almost the entire way.  We rode straight up through central WI, then headed east to connect with M-35 and M-2 along northern shore of Lake Michigan.  First night in Manistique, MI.  Then rode over to and crossed the Machinac Bridge in a pretty good wind!  Rode south on M-119 along western shore of MI, beautiful fall colors.  Saturday night in Cadillac MI, then up early to get to Muskegon and catch the high speed car ferry to Milwaukee.  Finally sunny that last leg!  857 miles total, great time.  That's my RR (ride report)!

Hoping to get back in the running shoes tomorrow morning.  I may change my mind about races and do a 10 K later this month or November.  Thought I should try to improve my PR for that distance since it's been a good year for that.  I've only run that distance twice, so should be doable.

Have a good running week friends!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Rich~So happy to read about the "no pain" run.  Enjoy your 10k run this weekend.  It'll be sweet to get back to your previous mileage!

Dan~Nice Ride Report -- 857 miles! Shocked Sorry the weather wasn't what we had the previous weekend, but it sounds like you had a great time regardless.  Weather should be perfect for your run today.

Sunday was a superb day for the Lakefront Marathon.  Winning M came in at 2:28:23, and F at 2:45:30.  Just embarrassing that the winning time is close to my HM time.Blush  I love volunteering at races, and this one is the best!  Worked the merchandise booth, and it was a great opportunity to congratulate and talk to many of the participants and their families.  So many awesome stories!  Best moment of the day was when the RD ran out to "talk in" 2 ladies to the finish line before the official cut off time.  A large crowd gathered along the finish shoot to cheer them on. They made it in with an official time, and their anguished smiles spoke volumes!

After the race, ran an easy 2 miles back to my car and 4 miles on the bike path yesterday.  Lovin' the weather! Big grin

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Art in AZ

Rich - Great news on your Achilles feeling better. Good luck in the 10K.

Dan - Nice bike ride. I remember the area from when I lived in Northern Illinois and we camped and hiked in Wisconsin and Michigan. Fun times back then. Don't feel bad on your miles, I'm in the same spot. Just 13 for the month. I'm really going to have to crank it up if I want to maintain my monthly average.

Debra - Sounds like you had a really good time at the race.

Saturday we went north for a drive to see if there were any color changes yet. Stopped at Arcosanti for their 8:00 AM 5K race. Well, I was kind of prepared for the event. Being at an altitude of about 4,200 feet I knew the weather would be cooler than the Valley here and I didn't expect too much difference in the air. It was probably in the upper 40s or lower 50s and windy. Good thing I had my long sleeve shirt to wear. It was a very small crowd of 17 runners. Not sure why the low turnout. The course was around Arcosanti so it was on a couple of dirt roads and some trails. Ran through the trees, along a creek and up and down a few elevation changes. Felt good running at the start but about a mile in could start to feel my chest hurt and it felt like I was having trouble breathing gasping for air some. Like I couldn't get enough. So I slowed down and took it a little easier. Legs and body felt fine, just a shortness of breath. Even walked during a long gentle incline. Boy I thought I was in better shape than this. Ended up finishing 5th in 29:57. I certainly didn't think a 3,000 foot difference would have that much impact. Rested and we continued on our journey until heading home later in the day.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

WDWRich

Art - Sounds like a nice way to spend a Saturday.  I know what differences in elevation can do to your running comfort.  I live in SoCal at just about sea level.  Once a few years back we vacationed during the summer at Lake Tahoe.  The condo we rented sat at about 7000 feet.  The first time I went out for a run there I felt absolutely terrible after just one mile, and thought 'Why the heck can't I breathe?".   The elevation really takes a toll.   Smile

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Hi everyone!  Sorry for being MIA for a couple of weeks.  Business schedule has been hectic but I managed in some 6 -10 miles of training runs on my mountain trails.  Arriving on Sept. 30, ran 6 miles on the trail with the least hills and lowest elevation (about 6600 ft).  Even tho' I was kinda tired from sitting and sleeping most of the way on the flight, I couldn't wait to get on the trail.  Just so glad to be back!!  Smile  Oct. 1 and 2, got up early and ran 6 - 8 miles respectively, at about 7,000 ft, different trails, took 30 second walk break every 1/2 mile with each run again, felt great, no lung busting episodes (for air).  I know I have to acclimate and need to take it slowly which is difficult as I tend to be very impatient. But so far, I have had good runs. Oct. 2 (Wed), after my run, picked up rental car and drove to NM on business.  Unfortunately, my rest day on Thursday turned into rest days till Sunday!!  Roll eyes Too much work, meetings, visits with colleagues and family. Returned late on Sunday but got up early Monday, finished 8 miles with some hill repeats, took 1 minute walk break after every mile, tough run but made it under 1:25.  Was hoping to run yesterday but well you get the idea, busy, busy, busy.  So I am planning on a 10 mile run today in the gusty tornado like winds, haha!!  Temps have been ideal, with some cloudy/hazy days but the winds here can be crappy.  It kicks up the dust as there has not been any rain lately thus the choice of trails are important so I get the wind protection from the more shaded trail.  But I don't mind, it's better than being in the gusty freezing wind of MN!!  Have to take advantage of the weather here as long as I can Smile

I am running the Cave Creek thriller 19k distance (11.7 miles) TRAIL race on Oct. 19th, Saturday.  You all are gonna think I've lost it Confused but I am thinking of running the Y Phoenix HM ROAD race the next day, Oct. 20th, Sunday.  My initial plan was to run the Durango Double (same weekend in CO) but prices got too ridiculous.  I waited b/c I wasn't sure WHEN I would be here.  Anyway, I was going to run the 25K (15.5 miles) TRAIL race on Saturday, then the HM ROAD race the next day.  I think the AZ races are more 'do-able' anyway, and closer, and less $$.  Just want to see if my body can perform the challenge of running 2 consecutive races, yikes!!  LOL!!  Actually, I am excited. But things do change, so if the Y Phoenix doesn't happen, there's the Peoria Halloween HM the following Saturday, Oct. 26th.  Will keep you updated. May run all three!! Cool

Deb:  Fall is certainly making a short appearance up north but they sure are beautiful.  Volunteering at races is such a well-spent day, cheering on the racers and appreciating all the planning it takes for such races to happen!  Thanks!!

Rich:  Awesome on the training runs, glad the injury is keeping up with you!!  Good luck on the 10k on Saturday!!

Art:  hope we meet on one of the PHX races; didn't know Arcosanti had a race?!? Wouldn't have made it anyway but good to know.  Great finish time despite the elevation change.  You have to run up north more often!

Dan:  WOW!! over 800 miles of bike time, good for you!!   Weather is always so unpredictable when there is a planned bike ride.  I haven't ridden once here .......yet!! Business travels has taken most of my days.  Neighbor friend/biker and I are hoping to ride at least once before I leave. Grand Canyon 'loop' ride was a plan (literally our backyard) but the NP is closed, bummer!!

Ray:  hope all is well!

justrundan

AZ= This is my ride when I'm not running.   R1200RT.    I've had it the last 3 years, had K75RT prior to that.

Below is the line up of Beemers that I rode with around Lake Michigan. This was Saturday morning, getting ready to leave Manistique MI for the Machinac Bridge.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Dan~Great pics, your ride if gorgeous!

AZ~Nice to have so many race choices, have fun choosing.

Rich~Hope you enjoyed your weekend run and pain free.

Art~What a beautiful course for your race.  You did a fantastic job dealing with the elevation!

Kathy, Marie, Mary Kay, Ray~You're all missed, and hope everyone is doing well.  Check in when you can! Smile

Ran 25 miles for the week for the fist time since early August.  The autumn weather has been wonderful for running and I was happy to take advantage of it.  Sunday morning, DH (on his bike) and I headed out on a sunny, cloudless 53F day on the dirt multi-use path.  Ran 9.6 miles and it was hard to hold back because everything fell into place.  Lots of folks running, cycling, walking their pups before the Packers' game.  I will continue to run on the path until the snow builds up.  Unfortunately, the touring bike groups and jogging stroller proponents won out and they just can't turn down federal $$$$!  The path will be widened (many trees taken down) and paved next spring.Disapprove  We have many paved paths, it was great to have this one remain shaded and rustic.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

Dan - I'm not a motorcyclist, but that's a nice bike in my book!

Deb - Congrats on the 25-mile week.  Keep on enjoying that dirt path while you can.

Plans changed late last week and DW and I had to head out of town very early Saturday morning and didn't return until Sunday evening, so I had no chance to run at all.  Life happens!  Will pick up tomorrow and plan to do a minimum 6.2-miler next Saturday.

Cheers!

Rich

Cool Hi all, quick update:  I  am running the 19K 'thriller' trail race tomorrow in Cave Creek (AZ); training runs have been good between hectic travel/work schedule.  However, that busy schedule will not allow me to run a 'double' race this weekend, crap!!  I am not running the HM on Sunday after all due to my presence being requested in NM for meetings which were moved from Tuesday to Monday morning so have to drive there on Sunday!!  Such a Bummer!  Older brother arrived yesterday from NM and going with me to the race tomorrow outside of Phoenix, rare treat to have family member (and 'fave' brother) to cheer me on!!

Art:  since my HM on Sunday fell through, I am considering the Peoria Halloween HM on the 26th instead.  Hope to return from NM on Friday, are you still planning on running that race?

Dan:  awesome ride you have!!  I love any bikes, especially glad to see more women riders, have biker friends/colleagues who love their BMWs. Does DW ride with you on your bike?  How comfortable is she on long road trip like the one you did recently, if she went.  One of these days (while I live in the midwest), I (we) will need to plan a road trip to the NE region where we have yet to explore on a bike.  Sadly, my bikes are going into hybrination(?) Cry for the winter.

Deb, Rich, Ray:  hope all is well!!

Safe running everyone, and catch you all soon!!

Crazy Diamond

AZ~Have a fantastic "Thriller" run tomorrow!  Enjoy having your DB there to cheer you on. Sorry about the busy schedule and missing the HM on Sunday.  I hope you and Art can meet up and run the Halloween HM together!

Rich~Life sure does get in the way of running sometimes!  Hope it works out this weekend.

Just finished up 3 straight days running 6 miles or more each day  Weather was above normal for the first half of October, the past week has been below normal.  Sure beats hot & humid!  Brisk wind had me scrounging for gloves and fleece headband before today's run.  I'm not as prepared as I'd like for the 50 mile relay next week.  The knee stiffness in Sept. threw a wrench into my training, but looking forward to running the 2 legs I've chosen and partying with the team when we're finished!

All the best to anyone running events this weekend -- run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Debra- you are sure right about the weather this past week; had to dig out my 'man tights' to keep warm, and using my rain jacket with built in lights for the pre-sunrise runs.  The stars are SO bright for those early morning runs.  What are the relay legs like that you will be running?  is it a very hilly course?  Sounds like a blast.  Have a fun time partying.  DW & I will be in DC next weekend, Th-Su, with college friends.  I'm the only runner of the 4, so I won't get much time on the roads.  Right now the forecast for DC looks pretty wet/chilly.  Be sure to pack your warm/dry running gear!  Surprised

AZ-Hope the CAve Creek run was fun and went well.  DW will ride with me for shorter rides around our area, up to an hour.  She gets a little claustrophobic after that with the helmet!  She'd never go on a multiple day/all day ride.  Not her cup of tea, unfortunately.

16 miles this week, did not get in a long run Friday or Saturday like I usually do.  DW and I had planned a party for Friday night, with my "Kansas chili", bonfire and watching the lunar eclipse.  Spent much of Friday preparing all that, then rain/clouds kept the moon from being very visible, so that part didn't work out.  The chili, however, was a big hit!  Big grin

MaryKay, Ray, Kathy, Marie, hope all is well.  Happy running to all; keep warm and dry!

Dan

WDWRich

AZ - How was the 19K Cave Creek trail race?  Sounds like it would be something right up your alley.

Deb - How long are the relay legs that you are running?  I'll bet you'll be just fine.

Dan - Any left over chili?  Smile

Ran 6.2 miles on Saturday morning.  DW came along on her bike.  After the usual maintenance runs during the week, I'll try at least 7 next Saturday.  Still no Achilles pain, just some occasional stiffness.  Weather has been great with lows in the 50s and daytime highs in the mid 70s.

Cheers!

Rich

rmcj001

You've all been doing so well.  Rich, sounds like the achilles is doing well, that's so great!  Debra, I really like the 10k distance and enjoyed my 10K training program immensely.  I think it makes doing 5Ks and 1/2's less daunting, but I'm a bit weird that way...Az, How did the race go?  Waiting for that RR...Art, sounds like the impromptu race went reasonably well.  Dan, nice bike!

Did first run in a month last Wednesday.  Slow easy run 4 miles in ~41 minutes.  Left leg tendon was sore for next couple of days. Lots of walking, some fast on hills and did a quick 3.1 in 26 minutes with old college buddy.  Hoping things will be ok tomorrow, right now leg feels better than last week.  That's not saying much, could get a lot sorer by tomorrow...It did feel good to be moving quicker.

Ray

Crazy Diamond

Ray~Great to hear from you. Hoping the leg continues to heal.

Rich~Yay! on the pain free run!  Enjoy those wonderful temps on your 7 miler this weekend.

Dan~Your early morning runs sound beautiful!  Looking like the weather for my relay will be similar to the HM we ran in May.  I'm running legs #2 and #10.  The final leg is a very flat 4.7 miles, leg #2 is a very hilly 6.7!   I must be out of my mind!!!  Enjoy your DC visit with friends, and if you see me running south along Hwy. 42 - shout out something encouraging!

AZ~How'd the race go?

Ran a nice 7 miles on Sunday in the crisp autumn air on the bike path.  Lots of leaves down and nuts from the many horse chestnut trees scattered over the path.  The nuts are the size of billiard balls this year, and dodging them is like tip-toeing through a mine field.  Unfortunately yesterday afternoon I missed one hidden under some leaves on my 3 mile run, and turned my left ankle - shoot!  I was 1.5 mile out, and hobbled back to the trail start.  Doing the RICE routine, plus pain reliever.  Trying to stay off my feet as much as possible, but I'm on my feet all day at work.  Thankfully took off Thursday and Friday. Bringing a chair to DS2 CC sectional meet tomorrow, but it will be so difficult to not run the course cheering on the team.  Just need it to not ache for the relay.  It has been said by many of us this year ... It is, what it is!

Run strong AND safe friends!

Quo Vadis?