50 and over 5k and beyond

May 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 12 times)

Took sort of a break yesterday and did a 14 mile bike ride along the canal.

AZ - Nice race report and good run. It's been a while since I've been to the Seattle area. Had both types of weather there. Rain and no rain. Lots of green and good seafood.

Chantilly - nice couple of runs there. It'll have to be rhubarb/strawberry pie. Love strawberries. Wish strawberries did better here. It's easier to buy them when on sale than to grow them and get the same amount of fruit.

Art:  thanks!  yes, we had great seafood each day and huge fresh fruit from farmers' market .... Weather was ideal during our time there with partly sunny days and in the 50s/60s.  I know it's quite a distance for a drive "just for pie" but Rock Springs store/cafe along I-17 at Black Canyon will probably have rhubard, etc.  There are enough midwest people who live/retire in Phoenix area now........I'm sure the restaurants who cater to many of the 'senior communities' have them.  I'm beginning to enjoy bike rides lately.  Good cross-training and distance along the canal.  Mostly gravel?

justrundan

4.9 miles on the Devil's lake trails; wet and muddy after rain most of the night.  'slighlty' turned right ankle about halfway in, so I didn't get the distance I had hoped.  I think the ankle will be fine.

AZ- DW & I have strongly considered taking the Empire Builder to Glacier National Park next summer.  Need to plan it about a year ahead of time in order to get things set up at the park, it fills up so fast, or so we've been told.  Mailing my Dances with Dirt registration today. 

Dan

Yesterday (Thurs), we noticed it rained most of the night and rain clouds still lingering throughout the morning.  I planned on going for an easy run, not sure how long.  Got dressed and while talking to my sister on my cell, it began to POUR!!  So I waited after checking weather satellite that the sun was gonna break through.  After a couple of hours, the clouds parted and the WIND picked up.  Hmmmm, "come on, it could be snowing and below zero," I told myself.  Temp around 55 degrees, NICE!  Just a run to the lake and back turned into running around fairgrounds.  It was WINDY but it kept me cool and the sweating to a minimum.  Told myself to 'just run' until it starts to rain as the dark rain clouds made their appearance from the west. Finished 10.1 miles, YAY!!  DH was home early and taking a nap when I returned.  Think we are still 'recovering' from our trip.  About 1/2 hr later, It POURED again and rained throughout the night.

4.9 miles on the Devil's lake trails; wet and muddy after rain most of the night.  'slighlty' turned right ankle about halfway in, so I didn't get the distance I had hoped.  I think the ankle will be fine.

AZ- DW & I have strongly considered taking the Empire Builder to Glacier National Park next summer.  Need to plan it about a year ahead of time in order to get things set up at the park, it fills up so fast, or so we've been told.  Mailing my Dances with Dirt registration today. 

Dan:  Good to get some 'practice' running on wet/muddy trails .......don't know how race day conditions will be.  What was the terrain like on the spot where you 'slightly' turned your ankle?  I usually stop and see how I could have place my footing ......even a 'small' incline will make your shoe slip .....and keeping strides shorter and quicker will help.  We learned from another couple who wanted to get off and stay at Glacier that the hotel (walking distance from train depot) didn't open till today (May 29).  But there are many other hotels/motels in/close to the NP.  Years ago, we camped out a couple of days, must have lucked out as we didn't have any problems with getting a spot.  Planning it ahead is smart planning.  Still thinking about it ..........

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Sounds like a great train ride. It is nice to just look out the windows and rest, but I have never been on one long enough for a sleeping car.  Did you need the rain?  We need some.

justrundan Hope the ankle is ok.

9 mile run on the track

10 minutes stationary bike

1 mile run on the track

10 minutes of weight machines

1 mile run on the track

15 minutes of walking.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday, 5/29... 6 mile railtrail run today, walk / jogged the first mile, then ran the rest of the way.    My sore leg's still sore, but no worse for the wear.   Stopped and bought 3 Chocolate flavored Gu for next week's half today, no backing out now...lol

art... thanks!  I'm between a rock and a hard place with this leg of mine.    I still think I can get to the start line healthy.    It'll be out of character, but I just can't do anything stupid next week...lol

adkkev... it must feel strange to have a quiet house with the grandkids gone.   Little kids are a treat to have around, aren't they?

az...  trail races sound like fun.   You get to wallow in the mud and act a like kid and it's ok, 'cause everyone's doing it...lol   I still think you should have pounced on the other runner when he went down...lol

Dan... good luck with the ankle, can't be too careful with that stuff...

Chantilly... the turkey's in the freezer.   Nice workout yesterday!

Art in AZ

3 miles this morning before this weekends activities. Running this weekend will be interesting.

AZ - I have been to Rock Springs Café a couple of times. Had apple and pumpkin pie there. Will have to remember next time I pass there. And good timing on getting a run in between rains.

Dan - Hopefully the ankle will heal quickly.

Chantilly - Good workout there with a combination of exercises.

Rich - Have you tried the Gu before? If not you might want to try one before the run. No sense having a bad reaction to them during your run.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

NH Runner Hope your (taper) week goes well.

Art in AZ  Have a good weekend.

9 miles in new Kinvara 6 shoes. They seem to be more cushioned than the Kinvara 5, which I had found to be fairly hard on the bottom. Mowing the lawn this afternoon.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Sunday, 5/31... we've got the weather system that's been raising so much havoc in Texas over us in New England today and forecast to be with us 'til Tuesday.    It's raining and 54 degrees...   I did manage to get in a 5 mile railtrail run though by timing the run to coincide with a break in the rain.    Still dealing with a sore leg...10:46, 9:49, 10:05, 10:06 and 9:34, but feel like I should keep moving.

Art...yes, I've used Gu before with no issues.    There's something about their Root Beer favor though that just doesn't set well with me.

Chantilly... this week's taper will focus on trying to get my sore leg to behave.     You like the new Kinvara 6's, eh?    Nice run today...

I've mentioned that I've had tight/achy calves for about 2.5 wks and it has not gotten any better.  I know I have been running more 'hills' than usual and the 25K was brutal so took rest days after last trail HM.  Ran 10.1 miles on Wed. and calves felt ok until evening when they felt more fatigued than usual. So next day (last Thurs.), I did more research and recalled a couple of articles/postings about magnesium supplements for nighttime leg cramps.  So decided to try it.  Took 400mg Mg and 400mg Ca (to help absorption process) before noon and a couple of hours later, RELIEF!! WOW!! I avoid ibuprofen like the plague.  DH has been massaging my calves for temporary relief, and feels like I've been using the foam roller in my sleep, LOL!!  More doesn't always mean better so just taking the 400mg dosage once a day and they feel so much better.  So have not run last 3 days just for recovery reasons but stretching and using the health rider at home.  Today, went for a 35 min. mtn bike ride, lifted some weights, a few core exercises and yoga.  DH and I attended a retirement party for one of DH's co-worker at the hospital.  Good homemade food!  NICE today, about 60 degrees, a bit cool with the wind but mostly sunny!!

NH:  Can you remind me what happened that you are dealing with a sore leg?  Those pace times are pretty good despite the sore leg, hang in there!

Chantilly:  yard work never ends it seems.  Good cross-training anyway.  Great job on the double work outs!!

Art:  Weekend weather will make your running more interesting?

Dan:  hope the ankle is healing quickly.......those trails are waiting.

adkkev:  I miss our GDs (in AZ), they are growing and changing so quickly!! Lucky you that they came to visit