50 and over 5k and beyond

November 2017 (Read 14 times)

NH Runner

Tuesday, 11/14... finally finished raking leaves today, but it took long enough that it made me pressed for time, so settled for a 5 mile trail run.   Bumped the effort up to being slightly uncomfortable...

Art... right now we're on the cold side, but if the air flow shifts around so it's coming out of the South, we can still warm up.   Once December gets here, the chance for warmer weather is pretty much over...lol    Today's run was mostly on a light dusting of snow, with a few bare spots thrown in.   36 degrees, so that snow should be gone tomorrow.

Ray... up until I raced once last month, then again on Nov. 4th, my previous race had been a 5K run back in early May of 2016.    At the end of that race, I was asking seasoned runners if they'd ever dealt with what was going on with me, so yes, it's been a while since I've been able to train for and run a race.   Biggest obstacles are regaining VO2 Max., leg strength and endurance.   What else is there, right? lol   Looking forward to your race report...

rmcj001

Mt Lemmon Half Marathon Race Report:
      This was Revel's inaugural running of the Mt Lemmon Marathon and Half Marathon. Looking at the elevation maps of the revel series of races, I determined that this would offer the best chance of equaling the 1st half of the Canyon City Marathon where I ran a sub 1:36 half on way to a 3:31 marathon. Goal this time was 1:35:00. My training this year has been pretty inconsistent and tho my mileage the last two months has been pretty good, I was feeling a bit apprehensive about this race.

To train for the long down hill that this race entails (basically 11.5 miles before finishing with 1.5 miles of flat) I chose a local mountain (Black Mountain south west of Palo Alto) with about 3000 foot elevation drop in 5 miles. Additional runs involved running from my home to the "Dish" (radio telescope behind Stanford) also with some extended downhill (about a mile with 300-400 foot drop). 2 runs on Black Mountain were 10 and 12 milers, with at least 4 miles of uphill and then 4-5 miles of downhill. Dish runs were longer 14-15+ miles with "Dish" sections right in the middle. Ran a couple of 10Ks in October, neither went badly, but weren't great either, which directly led to some apprehension.

So, though I put in some work, I just wasn't sure I put in enough work to accomplish my goal. To further muddy the waters, work wouldn't give me any days off and wanted me at work on Friday and Monday. This wouldn't have been too bad had we been flying, but wife and I had already decided to drive. I was able to get the ok to leave an hour early on Friday and was hoping to beat the worst of the bay area traffic.
      After a couple of false starts, DW and I headed out around 5pm on Friday and arrived in Azusa, CA around 11:30PM which is about 1/2 way. Got up early next morning and after a stop at Santa Ana Botanical Nursery were on our way to Tucson. Traffic wasn't too bad and finally arrived at the race expo just before 5:30PM (they close at 6PM). Big relief for me. We checked into our hotel and then head out to find the location where we need to catch the bus in the morning. Found it and then headed for dinner. Finally got back to the hotel and were in bed just after 10PM. I was just a little nervous and so only woke up about 3-4 times when the alarm finally goes off at 4:15 AM.

Got dressed and then head out looking for the "grab and go" breakfast. We can't find them or anyone to help us, when DW thinks she's forgotten something and heads back to room. I walk outside and find the hotel person smoking and ask him about the breakfast. He replies, "oh, those were gone in the first 15 minutes." So, by the time we got up. We jump in the car and get to the bus pickup point at 5AM. We pile into a bus and we're off. We look back down the canyon on the way up and it is an absolute gorgeous view of Tucson at night and then the sky starts to change with sunrise and it's even better.

Bus arrives at the dropoff area about 45 minutes before the start. We hang out on the bus as long as we can and then go join the rest of the runners. I jump in line for a port-a-potty and take care of business. Then join DW and just sort of stand around looking at the other runners. Temp is mid-40's and am really thankful we're not doing the marathon, 'cuz the high for the day will be mid-80's. With 15 minutes to go I start to shed my sweats and pack my drop bag. I pull out my space blanket and DW is hesitating on leaving her jacket so I offer my space blanket to her. She accepts and then they start us heading over to the start line. We drop our bags at the truck, grab some gatorade and they're collecting the space blankets. Oh, well. DW doesn't want to start near the back, even tho it is chipped timed, so we move forward about 1/3 of the way up.

The race starts and we're off. My strategy for the first mile is to try to be close to 7:15 pace and assess how I feel and adjust accordingly. There are still lots of slower people to get around and the first 3/4 of mile are just spent dodging and weaving. A woman and younger man are sort of staying with me, or I'm staying with them (you pick) and we cross mile 1 at around 7:08. Ok, that's good, I don't feel badly at all. The three of us are moving up and mile 2 goes by in 7:06, ok not bad. Mile 3 has what appears to be a gentle uphill and my two companions fall back just slightly as we cross the marker in 7:18. It's around here that I can feel a blister forming on the outside edge my left forefoot where I land. In mile 4, my companions speed up and go ahead of me a bit. I check my watch and we're now moving at a 6:50 pace, so I slow just a tad and cross mile 4 marker in 6:54. Suddenly the young male pulls to side and 1/2 mile later the woman pulls over too. Not sure what happened, but I keep going. Mile 5 is just under 7:00 minutes. And mile 6 is 7:01. About 1/2 way the aid station has food and tho I'm not hungry or thirsty I grab a banana and start to eat it.

Me eating a Banana

Slowed just a bit while I had my meal and mile 7 went by at 7:03. Around mile 8 another older runner starts to pass me. I ask him his age group and he's in the 50-55 range. I notice he has an accent and ask him where he's from, Marco is originally from Brazil, but has lived the last 20 years in Phoenix. He's really nice and I wish him luck as he pulls away. Mile 8 is 6:57. Then another male runner goes by and 1/2 mile later 2 females blow by me. Mile 9 goes by in 7:04 and 1 of the 2 ladies pulls up. Not sure, but looks like maybe a calf cramp. Her partner sort of looks back, but continues on. I'm keeping Marco in site and the lady just a bit behind him, but can't really see the other runner anymore. Mile 10 is also a 7:04 - I can now feel a second blister forming on the outside heel on my left foot. Oh, well, I'll just need to land a little more on the ball of my foot. The grade seems to change a little in the next mile and as I approach the 11 mile aid station I see a runner pick something up and continue. I don't think he's moving that fast, but I don't seem to be making any ground up. As mile 11 goes by in 7:10, I know we're about to hit the flats and try to maintain pace. As we hit the flat section I can tell I'm slowing up, but I can also see I'm gaining just a bit on the next runner. We hit mile 12 and I have 7:23 on my watch. It is pretty clear to me I'm going to catch the guy fairly soon and we both catch a woman with about a mile to go. As I go by them both, I can also see I'm making up ground on the woman who passed me in mile 8. I pick up my pace and we make a few more turns. Just before mile 13 I catch her. Mile 13 is 7:35 and I start my kick, then slow as I can't tell where the finish line is, then I locate it. I can hear them announce my name and try a little harder and see the clock 1:34:00 as I pass.

Mt Lemmon Finish
      Now I can really feel the blisters on my left foot! So, I head to the med tent to get my foot taped up. Foot still hurts. Did I mention I run in vibram five-fingers? Probably should have laced them up tighter. Oh, well. Grab some food and they point me to the results table. Official time 1:33:19.9, 33rd overall, 25th male and 1st in 55-59 age group! Start to head back to finish area and DW is already walking out! Cool! Her results 1:51:17.8 and we both time qualified for NYC Marathon!

Ray

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Congratulations to you and your wife! Sounds like you two were pressed for time, driving, no breakfast, etc. but made it.  Too bad about the work people. Hope the blister isn't too bad, I didn't even know that VF's had laces! I guess I always thought they were slip-on's. Nice photos.

az2mntrail Good placing in your race. Have fun with your MN friend in Albq!

Will wait to see if I can get back into shape, before looking into any races.

NH Runner You had snow, but the leaves weren't too wet to rake? Good effort on the harder 5 miler, plus the "easier" 6 miler. Hope the new clothes work out well for you.

Altair5 I have read those books a few years ago. Inspiring stuff.

Art in AZ  Are you getting cooler temps now, or still over-average temps? Have you gone for bagels lately on your bike?

2 mile run on the track and one hour walk.

-16F this morning, this is fairly normal for Nov.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

Ray- nice race report and great race!  DW and I were in Tucson last spring break and drove up Mt Lemmon the first day we were there.  I've never run a primary downhill race, sounds interesting.  That is a very pretty area with great views.

AZ- glad the ankle injury hasn't slowed you too much.  Your training is doing OK even though you are busy with lots of stuff.  Have a great time with the trail marathon and say hello to your MN running buddy for me!

Saturday was the Hungry 4 Some Supper Myself 5&10K races.  The 10 K was not real popular but there were 4 or 5 older men that I've seen there before, and I know they are fast.  I start near the back so I don't have the demoralizing effect of getting passed by too many people!  The biggest hill is at the start of the second mile, and I'm walking up a good portion of that.  By then runners are pretty spread out and I'm running by myself most of the time.  I pass a woman slightly younger than me, but the next runners are WAY up ahead.  Probably ran the last 3 miles without a change in position.  Most of the last half mile is uphill, then a short 150 yard downhill to the finish.  That helps me put on an impressive sprint! 

By the time I finish they are already announcing 5K winners,and after that the 10 K.  When they get to the mens 60-69 I hear my name called for second in age group.  However, #1 age group talks with the announcer, turns out he went down to the 5K after registering for the 10, so I claim #1/1 in my age group!     I guess it pays to persevere as you get older, and to run in small races!   Turns out all the older faster men were in the 50-59 age group.  My time was not as bad as I'd feared and not as good as I'd hoped.  The usual!

Now on to Door County training.

Dan

Art in AZ

Took Tuesday and Wednesday off. Planned to run Wednesday but got a call early so that put an end to a run.

9 miles this morning to make up for not running Wednesday.

Ray - Nice race report and congratulations on another completed race to you and your wife. The scenery around there really is pretty plus you got a early morning picture. Too bad you had to really compress your trip into such a short time frame. That would have made me nervous also.

Rich - Think of raking leaves as a warm up to your run. Now instead of leaves you get to wait for the snow.

Chantilly - Well, it is cooler in the morning but the highs are still above normal. Like Ray mentioned, morning temps are good for running. This is the weather I really like. Cool in the morning and not to hot late in the day. Nothing like you just had with the -16. No thank you.

Dan - Slow and steady wins the race. It was nice that other gentleman let them know he switched.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

justrundan Congratulations on your AG!

Art in AZ Nice 9 miler to make up the difference.

Yesterday: 3 mile run and 45 min. walk on the track

Today: 4 mile run and 45 min. walk plus 7 min. on stationary bike.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Friday, 7/17... rode the tryke 5 miles on the trail Wednesday, took Thursday off due to rain and ran 7 miles on the trail today.   Weather's been tough, today's temp was 30 but the wind was really blowing.

Ray... what a race, eh?  Those low 7:00 splits are impressive!  And running people down late!   Can you imagine running NYC with 50,000 other runners? lol  Anyway, nicely done for you and DW, congrats!

Chantilly... we got just a little more than a dusting of snow and it was dry enough that in places where there was light snow and leaves, raking was ok.   I like the way you're mixing it up between walks and running, do the walks help with recovery?   That's the big thing with me lately, recovery.   Just noticed your temp was -16 the other morning, now I don't feel so bad about what I'm running in... 

Dan... congrats on the age group win, doesn't matter how many were in your age group, a win's a win...   10K is a solid run regardless of the pace, being out there competing and having fun is what it's all about, you're doing great...

Art...  sometimes a couple of days off is a good thing, did you notice a bounce to your step after the break?   I've got the walk behind tractors ready for plowing snow, just waiting for the first accumulation now.    Areas North of here got 6 to 7 inches the other day, but that's a little earlier than normal.   Like that 9 miler you got in...

Art in AZ

4 mile run this morning. While running I got to thinking about Chantilly asking about a 'bagel run' and that made me want a bagel and it was time for a 'bagel run'. So after the run I had a couple of yogurts, filled the water bottle and hopped on the bike and went and got bagels. So did a 14 mile bike ride also. I blame it on Chantilly. 

Chantilly - You're going good with the daily run/walks. Having an indoor place to go sure beats having to go out in that cold.

Rich - So it wasn't cold enough for the rain to be snow, but with the low temp and windy that would have made for a cold damp run.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Another 5 miles this morning. Then stuff around the yard and in the garage.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Saturday, 11/18... 6 mile trail run

Sunday, 11/19... 2 mile hike

Monday, 11/20... 3 mile hike, followed later in the day with 4 mile trail run.   Temp.'s been hovering around 30 and windy every day.   Is it April yet... 

Art... love those bagels, eh?  Nice double with the 4 mile run and 14 mile bike ride, good for you.   Running in the cold is weird, you start out all bundled up, but within a half mile you're opening your jacket to keep from over-heating...lol  Amazing how fast we warm up once the furnace gets going...lol

Chantilly75

NH Runner Some challenging workouts for you in the cold and windy conditions. Are you making a pie for Thanksgiving?

Art in AZ Good reward for yourself at the end of your bike ride---fresh bagels.  We don't have a bakery that makes bagels anymore and the ones baked "fresh" in the grocery store are just not the same.

Yesterday morning, I ran 1 mile on the track and walked 40 minutes.

In afternoon, I walked to the mall (3F windchill), just to see if I could take it.  Well, that is about my limit.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 11/21... temp was 50 degrees today, sunny and only a mild breeze.   I started out on the trail with the crew that runs on Tuesdays, but continued on when they turned back at 2 miles.   I used to run with these guys every week, but conflicting schedules have left me doing other things when they normally run.  Anyway, I got in a 6 miler in relatively nice weather    One other thing of note, the dog sledders are running their dogs on the trail already.   Tracks in the dirt show many sets of dog tracks and places where the driver has applied the brakes on their wheeled cart to slow everyone down...lol   Must be a crazy ride with a dozen huskies pulling something as light as a cart with wheels.

Chantilly... it's tough knowing how to dress for the cold.   Each dip in temperature creates new challenges, both with the wind and without...lol    Obviously running generates more heat than walking, but once the temperature starts approaching 0, staying comfortable is tough.   Worst for me is my hands and I've found mittens work better than gloves.   Bare skin on my face is another, but if you put something over your mouth and nose, the moisture from your breath will freeze...lol   Anyway, good luck if you decide to participate with your group, you already know once you get underway, you can stay reasonably comfortable if you've dressed properly.   It's the getting under way that's tough...lol

rmcj001

Chantilly - Good to see you're staying active.  Taking it slow and making sure you're healed is a wise move. VFFs come in all kinds of models, original had just a draw string at back of heal, Original bikila's and KSOs have a velcro strap (I removed mine from both) and the EVO and Komodos have elastic laces with quick tie fasteners. Never liked the velcro, so usually get the lace versions.

Dan - Congrats on your AG win!!! Races are always dependent on who shows up. Think it is always best to just compete with yourself and let the rest take care of itself.

Art - Nice double with the bagel run!  We have a couple of options around here for fresh bagels, might be fun to try a run to the bagel store sometime.

Rich - Some nice runs you've been getting in.  Hope your weather allows you to get out enough this winter. Gotta say, running down a 4-5% grade makes staying in the low 7s a lot easier .

Took a few days off after the race. Some shorter runs Wed and Thu, with another day off on Friday.  Saturday got 12 miles in and another 10 on Sunday.  right calf was a bit tight yesterday so took Monday off too.  Hoping to get a 5 or 6 miler in tonight, we'll see...

Happy Turkey Day to everyone!!

Ray

Art in AZ

Did 5 miles Monday morning before leaving on trip.

Walked about 1 mile just to move around a little and it was cold and windy. Temps around 40 degrees. Not looking forward to Thursday morning's Turkey Trot. Temp prediction is mid 20s! Yikes. I'm hoping my Arizona 'winter' running clothes are enough. Thankfully it's a 5K. I'm not sure I would last in a 10K.

Rich - Nice mix up of runs and rides. I'll get a crash course of cold weather dressing/running Thursday. I'm already ready to get back to normal weather.

Chantilly - I agree on the store bought fresh bagels. There are fine for a quick fix and a short trip. Store is within 3 minutes walk. Bagels from the bagel store are better. So I really enjoy getting one fresh and storing the others in the freezer for later consumption.

Ray - Nice back to back long runs over the weekend. Doing a turkey run on Thursday?

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday, 11/22... I seem to have done something that's made my lower back sore.   The other day I lifted my portable air compressor and put it on my 2 wheeled cart, the thing weighs too much to be bending over and lifting, but my rig needed air in the tires...   Also pulling on the rope that starts my 6 H.P. walk behind tractor to get it ready for plowing snow, another strain on my back.   Running seems to aggravate it as well, so I need to ease up on running 'til it calms down.   I'll keep checking in, but won't post 'til there's something meaningful to say... lol

Chantilly... I forgot to tell you that yes, I'm making a couple of pies for Thanksgiving.   We go to my daughter's place to eat, then everyone's at my place for Christmas.

Ray... I actually don't mind running in temps in the teens, but when it gets much colder than that, I'll still run, but a lot of the enjoyment is gone.   You could put me on the steepest incline there is and the only way I'd hit low 7:00's would be if I fell and started rolling...   You do a lot of '1st in A.G.'s, don't sell yourself short.   Rock solid training as usual... nice!

Art.... hopefully relatives where you're going are also runners who can fill you in on dressing for the cold.   If not, think layers.   Base layer, long sleeved tech T, mid layer of something heavier and outer layer a windbreaker with a full zipper.   The zipper's critical, raise and lower it as needed if you start to overheat or chill.    Something for a hat and gloves, you basically focus on keeping your core warm, doing that will help everything else stay warm   And enjoy...

Ok, everyone enjoy time spent with family, Thanksgiving's an awesome holiday!