Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins are working for the weekend. (Read 30 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Phillie / Zel - Did you guys mention Hood to Coast?  P3 and I were talking about that race the other day, because relays look awesome and she's from Puyallup.  So, she has family in Washington, and I have family in Oregon and California.  Hood to Coast looks awesome...just not this year.  I told her to keep it in mind for next year.  There are a couple of different relays I'm considering for next year.

Yesterday's run was fun.  The skys looked scary when I headed out the door, but it was just lightly raining.  By the time I came back that lighting was so bright it was blinding.  The thunder was deafening.  The rain had turned to hail.  The winds were ridiculous.  So, it was a short run.  All of my runs have been shorter this week though.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

hog4life

Good morning awood!

I've got my NOBO class tonight, and instead of running 4-5 before class, I'll just do 1 or 2. I've had a crappy night at work, been on my feet darn near the whole shift. Racing/running/jogging a 5k on Saturday morning. Did y'all see the Boston bib thing? I've printed one and will laminate it and wear on my back. I thought this was a neat idea, along with the bracelets that Jimmy and Luis are doing.

hog4life

Anson, ever heard of Ragnar Relay? I want to do the one from Chattanooga to Nashville, actually was put on a list for an alternate, but was never called. Oh well, maybe some day.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Mornin' Awood & Mitch. Smile

I'm going to wear a Boston bib at my 5k next Sat.

6.3 done this morning.  Legs were a lil heavy since I just ran last night, kind of like doing a double.  But I needed to get back on my morning schedule, so today was the day to suck it up and get it done.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Ragnar looks awesome, and so does the Bourbon Chase.  Pretty much any of them except the Ragnar that runs through Chicago.  I've seen Chicago on foot, and it's for beer and baseball...not running.  Oh, and there's one that I saw that starts in Louisiana and ends in Florida.  I'd like to be able to say that I ran through 4 states.

I'd be honored to be on a team with you in 2014.

Anson, ever heard of Ragnar Relay? I want to do the one from Chattanooga to Nashville, actually was put on a list for an alternate, but was never called. Oh well, maybe some day.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The Boston bibs were a great idea.  It's awesome that you guys are going to wear them.  I don't have a race for a while, but that is awesome.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I did 7.15 recovery miles this morning.  Weights and a vet visit this afternoon.

Damaris

tracilynn

Mitch, which 5k are you doing? Cookie dash? I still haven't signed up for cotton row. I don't know if I will even be able to run 3.1 in a month. Cotton row was my first 5k after completing couchto5k.

today is a rest day for me but I really want to run. I did lots of rolling last night but I have slacked on my mrtyls. I guess I will do myrtles instead.

Have a great day. Hey it's almost FRIDAY

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Mitch, which 5k are you doing? Cookie dash? I still haven't signed up for cotton row. I don't know if I will even be able to run 3.1 in a month. Cotton row was my first 5k after completing couchto5k

Im doing the Hospice of the Valley, it's here in Decatur. I thought about the cookie dash, but with me working Friday night, cookie dash would be pushing it for time. The hospice is on my way home, so closer and more convenient due to work. Let me know if you need a running buddy for cotton row, I promise to let you beat me, Smile.

6.35 this am. My legs finally felt good.

I was thinking of telling my kids at school that if they pass their math STAAR test (state exam that is pretty tough) I will run a lap around the track for them. That means a possible 102 laps. I know that it reality it wont be that high. It would be probably around 70. Good excuse to get a track workout in.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

One Half So Far

Mornin, folks.

Did 3.3 yesterday.  Slow.  Legs were still kinda dead from last Sunday.  Will RD today; have to drive to Portland after work.

Awood: Couple of the guys I work with do Hood to Coast.  Sounds like a fun thing.

HFL: The Boston bib thing sounds really cool.

D^2: GJ on the 10K.

DR: GJ on the 7.

Traci: Enjoy whatever you choose to do.

Tomas: I like that plan.  We still have around 40 kids or so who need to pass math state tests to graduate....dunno if I could pull that off as incentive for them, though.

Hope the day finds everyone healthy and enjoying what they're doing.

~Jeff~

PR: 5K 26:34 (Would have been faster if I hadn't had to tie my shoe), 5M: 43:10, 10K: 54:51. First HM 4/14/13 2:03:23

6/1: Moonlight 5M, Springfield 43:10

7/4 Butte to Butte 10K, Eugene

7/21 Run in the Country HM, Coburg

Another HM sometime in October or November.  Several to choose from.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jeez, as if we didn't have enough bad news this week already.  The town of West, Texas is on the other side of Waco (where Baylor University is) and is about 3-4 hours drive from San Antonio.   Very sad...

Explosion at fertilizer plant in West kills 15 -  http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/blog/morning-edition/2013/04/explosion-at-fertilizer-plant-in-west.html

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Morning, pens!  Got a nice walk in with DH and the dogs last night.  Knee still feels a little bit funky so I think my next run at this point will be in Sat.  It's killing me to wait, but hopefully it will pay off in the long run.

Awood- Hope that you do decide to run it next year!  I'm still on the fence for this year.  Was talking it over with DH on our walk but he has no opinion.

Mitch- Have a good class!

Dave- Glad you got your running back on schedule.

D- Hope the kitties are OK!

Traci- Good job getting the myrtls in!

T-rod- That sounds like a fun incentive!

Jeff- Glad you're back to running.  Wave hi as you drive past!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  DH and I got our walk in this morning, and I did a little yoga last night (only a little because I suck at it!), so I'm feeling pretty good about myself today.  Chorus tonight, and we're having a guest night, so that should be fun.  Hope lots of new folks show up!  My quartet is going to drive up so we can sing a few songs, hopefully somewhat more in tune than we were on stage!!

Awood -- glad you got in before you got fried!!

hog -- I think the bib will be cool, and hope your feet are ready to race!!

D2 -- woo-hoo for sucking it up!!

Docket -- hope the weights and vet visit go well!!

traci -- DH and I have pretty much decided not to sign up for races until we're already doing the distance.  We keep showing up way undertrained!!

T-Rod -- sounds like a great idea, and the kids might surprise you!!

J.Drumm -- enjoy the drive!!  Are you hitting up Powell's Bookstore?  Man, I can drop some cash there!!

scotty -- I hadn't heard the news, so sad!!

Zelanie -- be wise, and wait out the funk!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.