Beginners and Beyond

WetnesDAILY for Penguins (Read 28 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You're such a ho! Joking

Look what I just found from last night's run with Jeff:

Jack Quinn's Running Club, June 25

So who's the ho now, Damaris???  Joking   LOL

Damaris

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

We both love dogs, and because of our proximity to the park we get to see a lot of wonderful dogs and dog owners.  I've had to return several dogs to their homes though, because they follow me and aren't fenced in or on a leash.  I added 3 miles to my run that way once.  I had to check tags to find its home.  Some people though think that they can ignore leash laws, or that its everyone else's responsibility to beware of there dog that is only technically on a leash.  My dog runs right by my side, and we're always aware of other dogs, cars, etc.  I walk or run him.  Never the other way around.  I'm just afraid that one of these times it won't end well.  It's not the dog's fault.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

From the Internet.

People think they don't need a leash, or they have those damn flexi-leashes.  They take their poorly trained dog out in the morning to avoid human interaction, and it freaks when it sees a runner, and they act like its youe fault.

OH I cannot STAND that. Irresponsible pet owners drive me crazy. If you're going to own a living thing and take said living thing out in public, you teach it how not to injure other living things in the process!

Nice job on the miles, pens who have already been out waddling today!

HsM - Ooh music camp sounds fun! Enjoy! Big grin

Cherie - nice pic!

Traci - Ugh that is such a bummer. No advice, just sympathy Sad

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Irresponsible pet owners get their pets killed, either by cars or at the shelter.  I hate that.

Damaris

From the Internet.

Irresponsible pet owners get their pets killed, either by cars or at the shelter.  I hate that.

Yup that also sucks. :c We adopted our dog after she was hit by a car and her owners didn't want to pay her vet bills (she's actually missing part of her hip because it was shattered so badly, but gets around fine now).

Philliefan33

Good luck with the later run, Margo.  Maybe try a run in the evening, around 8 PM or so.  Kinda late I know, but still light enough to run but lots different when the sun is down.  I went out for a walk around my neighborhood at 8 pm. last night.  It was still in the 90s, but the sun was nearly down, a very nice breeze blowing, and it actually felt pretty good out.

That's what I usually do, but this week we have the old "isolated thunderstorms" in the forecast every evening.  So I run the risk of waiting until later to run, only to be thwarted by lightning.  Sometimes I risk it, sometimes I"m able to get out between storms....but today the solution will be a TM run.

I try to be consistent in my running, which means being flexible.  Does that make sense?

Philliefan33

Oh, I have a "bad dog owner" story also.

There's a little-used park/walking trail not far from me where I occasionally run. Last autumn I was running there and encountered a full-size poodle who wanted to say "hi".  (Full size poodles are large dogs).  Unfortunately he said hi by jumping on me, getting his paws tangled in my earbud wires and yanking the earbuds out of my ears.  And he got me all muddy and scratched my legs in the process.

What really made me angry was that he was not on a leash and his owner was talking to someone and didn't even realize that his dag was accosting me until another dog owner pointed it out to him.  Then he didn't even apologize....Stupid irresposible dog owner!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

That's what I usually do, but this week we have the old "isolated thunderstorms" in the forecast every evening.  So I run the risk of waiting until later to run, only to be thwarted by lightning.  Sometimes I risk it, sometimes I"m able to get out between storms....but today the solution will be a TM run.

I try to be consistent in my running, which means being flexible.  Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense to me.   Consistently get the miles in, but realize 'life happens' and be flexible about when, where, and how to get them in.  Adapt to the situation and, as Larry The Cable Guy says, 'Git 'er done!"

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Sloooow.

Irresponsible dog owners are the bane of my life. We've had 40 chickens killed just this year thanks to them.

Awood- I would call Animal Control to file a complaint. You shouldn't have to worry about dogs on your run. It's ridiculous that the dog owner acted that way.

Cherie- Love the picture!

Quick check in, so much to do. I'm mad at my treadmill, so I'm ignoring it. I ran at 1am Tuesday morning, so technically I have a run on the books for Tuesday. Today, I'm planning on running outside, assuming my partner gets home at a decent time.

Amazonian Princess

Happy Wednesday!

Had a wonderful visit with my family last weekend and managed to fit in a run and a bike ride. We calmed down a bit on the carb consumption but still had a great time sitting on the patio and chatting for hours Smile

Working on staying hydrated; I'd cut out soda and sweet tea but forgot to replace with other liquid which could have contributed to some cramping. Also changed from a smooth stick roller to a knobby one and my calves appreciate it!

Signed up for a 5k on Saturday (USO benefit) and I'm overthinking it already. Did 2.5 miles on Monday (cut short because I learned chips and salsa aren't a good pre-workout snack), had a session with the trainer last night (core and cardio in the pool), thinking about hitting the track tonight and tomorrow, then yoga, foam rolling, and stretching on Friday.

What's the best approach for each run tonight and tomorrow- stick to comfortable 3 miles without walking, long slow 4+ miles with as few walks as possible, 30 minute Zombie Run (steady jog with bursts of speed to avoid the horde), hill program on the treadmill? Not expecting any last minute improvement, I just want to feel ready to do better than I did last month...

I can. I will. I am. 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Bacon: I would do your runs as easy as possible so you are fresh for your race. Drink a lot of water this week and try to push yourself during the race. Just my two cents. Good luck.

tracilynn

There are some vibram 5 finger shoes on clearance at a local outdoors store for $40. Thinking about trying some. But I'm scared!  Haha. (And they're hideous)

~~~~~~~

Traci

Bin Running

Cherie, nice pice. Great smile.

Traci, $40 might be a good buy. They are a great conversation starter. Haa

Mel, the knee is really giving you some grief.

Forest or plantation fire can last for weeks. We are affected on a yearly basis since forever. This yr is bad due to the wind direction and lack of rain. The fire was on some peat ground which seem to burn for a long time with thick smog as a byproduct.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Oh ya. Missing jimmy, Vance and gustav.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Vance is on a cruise, no?

I'll check Jimmy and Vance in FB.  Not sure about Gustav, hope he checks in soon.  Last time he was in the forum was 06/24 (according to the admin report).

Oh ya. Missing jimmy, Vance and gustav.

Damaris