Beginners and Beyond

Just saw the elevation profile for my first half and choked on my beer (Read 162 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I just saw the elevation chart for my half marathon and actually choked on the beer I was drinking and almost drowned my computer.

Straight uphill miles 4-7?! REALLY?! At least there's a nice downhill the last 3 miles. Sooo....who has a nice, flat HM for me to run in say, November to make up for what will probably be a really difficult race??? I like to travel.... this is a serious question!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

I find doing downhill more difficult than going uphill.

Rubybaby43

enabler

Did you not look at the elevation before you signed up for it?  I always do...but I'm an elevation chart junkie.  I am also a "nice even splits" junkie.  Those things make me giddy.

Look at it this way.  Auto PR for your first race...and you're almost certain to top this PR at your second HM!! Wink

KLO

more miles = more beer

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If you are from Miami, you wouldn't.

At times like this, I'm glad I race here.  My bridges are over within 1/2-1 mile and they are done.

I don't think it is that bad as it is only 150ft in 4 miles but think of a strategy for tackling those miles and don't start out too fast.

Did you not look at the elevation before you signed up for it?  I always do...but I'm an elevation chart junkie.  I am also a "nice even splits" junkie.  Those things make me giddy.

Look at it this way.  Auto PR for your first race...and you're almost certain to top this PR at your second HM!! Wink

Damaris

Rubybaby43

enabler

Quote from Rubybaby43 on 4/14/2013 at 8:43 PM:

Did you not look at the elevation before you signed up for it?

If you are from Miami, you wouldn't.

Well, no, if I lived on flat land I wouldn't either.  But it doesn't look like Kristin lives in the land of pancakes.  LOL

KLO

more miles = more beer

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I didn't look at it before hand. The story of this half is this:

One of my college roommates finally convinced me to sign up for my first race, the Baltimore 5K as part of the Baltimore Running Festival last October. She ran the half and I ran the 5K. When we had finished our races, she told me, "next year you are running the half!" At first I laughed it off, but then I decided that it would be my goal. I bought a "BRF In Training" shirt at the race to wear over this year to motivate myself that it was going to be my goal to run the half in the same running festival as my first 5K, one year from my first 5K. I signed up the day registration opened in December. There was never a question that this would be my first half. No matter what the elevation profile was. I had heard it was hilly but WOW! lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Rubybaby43

enabler

I didn't look at it before hand. The story of this half is this:

One of my college roommates finally convinced me to sign up for my first race, the Baltimore 5K as part of the Baltimore Running Festival last October. She ran the half and I ran the 5K. When we had finished our races, she told me, "next year you are running the half!" At first I laughed it off, but then I decided that it would be my goal. I bought a "BRF In Training" shirt at the race to wear over this year to motivate myself that it was going to be my goal to run the half in the same running festival as my first 5K, one year from my first 5K. I signed up the day registration opened in December. There was never a question that this would be my first half. No matter what the elevation profile was. I had heard it was hilly but WOW! lol

LOL!  Well, like I said earlier....auto PR and if you run a different HM as HM #2 you will kill it!

KLO

more miles = more beer

Look at the y axis scale, which I'm assuming is ft, not meters.  It appears that the low point is at maybe 45 ft and the high point is at 220 ft.

The "hill" between from 4 to 7 mi goes from 50ft to 200ft = about 50ft per mile or just under 1% slope. Most gps receivers aren't that accurate in their elevation data. That's the same incline people use with tm to simulate flat.

Relax and enjoy a race that isn't so flat that the repetitiveness hurts. Wink

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  GinnyinPA

Kristin - that really isn't bad elevation gain.  It's long, but not steep.  You're only doing 150' in 3 miles, and most of the rest is just gently rolling.  Your total elevation gain is what - 300 or 400'?  That's not bad at all.  You just need to work on building endurance over long steady climbs.

My September  half has about 700' gain, including 100' in .4 mile at miles 6 and 11.  There are three HMs in my area (March, April and September) and all are notoriously hilly.  Fortunately, my normal runs around my house usually have about an average of 100' per mile climbs, so I'll have plenty of opportunity to train for the hills.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's not nearly as bad as it looks on the graph. No need to panic, but if you want to, go ahead. The Philly Half in November run in conjunction with the Philly Marathon is pretty flat. Weather is iffy. You could get sub-freezing temps or it could be in the 60s and the forecast can change at a moment's notice.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Rubybaby43

enabler

What George, Ginny and AKTrail said.  Also....look at the smooth sailing from mile 9.5 on to the end!  Woohoo!!

KLO

more miles = more beer

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks guys! Momentary total panic... and the race is 6 months away... lol

Philadelphia is close to me!

pae

Living in Colorado, I'd love to find something that flat to run on.  :-p

I'm looking at a 10k in May that has 1400 feet of climbing in the first 4 miles.

But seriously, as others have said, the exaggerated axis there can be a bit disturbing, but 150 feet over 3 miles is really not bad at all.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

WHOA!

Living in Colorado, I'd love to find something that flat to run on.  :-p

I'm looking at a 10k in May that has 1400 feet of climbing in the first 4 miles.

But seriously, as others have said, the exaggerated axis there can be a bit disturbing, but 150 feet over 3 miles is really not bad at all.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Funny, my half marathon that I did last weekend showed a similar incline between miles 8 and 10 on the elevation profile (linked below).  Yes, it wasn't as steep as the profile made it look, but you still felt that incline, and it sucked!  However, the huge downhill at mile 11 made up for it.

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/4da4e56806af409999e4b26d6eea7849?unit=mi

Recommendation:  Try to do LOTS of hill training beforehand.