Beginners and Beyond

My Tuesday Penguin can out run your honor student! (Read 326 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! 

What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) 

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning All!

I am resting until I heal up a bit. I really only get to ice it once in the morning. Called the doc and I'll have to wait until next week to see him. I did do a full body workout at the gym yesterday. I have too much energy to still!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

GOOOD morning!  

Gustav - thanks for getting us started.

AFM - SRD.  All is well after my short break.  4 miles on the dreadmill yesterday and feel good this morning.  Off to work!

At least you are still moving Gustav!! I'm proud of you. I never understood why some doctors don't fit people in when its an injury! Would never fly at the office I work at! It's also a cancer center, maybe why! N8-enjoy the rd!!! Afm- I just finished 2 miles on the TM and now 15 min on the elliptical! Then off to work I go. I don't want to overdo it this week with 5k #2 on Saturday!!!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

Robert31320

Team TJ

I  like your thread title!

I taking another RD.  Foot and shin feeling mucho better this morning, so I give another day to feel even better.

Alright then...

Running for TJ because he can't.

Jen2011

Good morning Penguins!  Thanks for getting us started this morning Gustav!  Sorry you have to wait until next week to see the doctor.  Maybe some rest will help.

N8, enjoy the RD!  4 miles on the dreadmill is great!  I don't know how people can run on them.  It takes everything I have to suck it up and stay on the thing long enough to get a couple of miles in.  

Kristi, great job on the treadmill and elliptical workout this morning!  Hope your 5K goes great!

AFM, I'm taking that RD today.  After the bike last night, my hammy started bothering me just a little.  It's been a month since I had any problems at all, and I don't want to aggravate it with less than two weeks to go until the half.  

Time to go wake up the kids and get ready for work! Have a wonderful day everyone!!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Jen2011

Robert, glad to hear your foot and shin are starting to feel better.  Hope the extra rest continues to help!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Good morning colony!

Gustav1, thank you for starting us off.  I’m so sorry you are dealing with an injury. Love the name of the thread.

N8ugv, enjoy the rest day

Kristi, good job on the treadmill!

Robert, I’m glad the foot and shin are feeling a lot better.

Jen, rest and stretch that hammy.

AFM- I barely coughed yesterday, barely blew my nose, and was only a little stuffy feeling, yay!  I feel even better today.  I’m going to run 3ish miles after work today, do some yoga, and then I’m heading out for a massage.  I’m hoping that tonight’s run goes a lot better than Saturday’s run and that breathing is not an issue  Fingers crossed because I really want to get back to base building. 

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  Can somebody hook up caffeine in my veins, please? 6 miles with 2 @ MP later tonight.

I'll be back when I am awake.

Damaris

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I know it's not going to be any warmer after work, but I'll be more mentally prepared to face the cold again.  Another hour of running on schedule for tonight.  The fiance's got 30 minutes scheduled as well.  So, we'll run 30 at her pace.  Then, I'll finish with 30 at mine.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning penguins.  It's colder than an igloo today in chitown.  Will try a refreshing run after work with DW.  Miles are weather dependent.

Stay warm !!!!

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

8 miles done this morning, time for coffee!!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Epic fail of the day: when your front zip up moving comfort sports bra unzips while running an 11 mm on the treadmill!! It's a good thing a had a bra top shirt on, I would have been all over the place!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins!

Gustav I hope you get your injury under control soon.

Steph I'm glad you're feeling a bit better.

Hope everyone enjoys their runs and rests.

AFM- I just got back from the worst run of all time. Seriously, all time. On the heels of a 5K on Thursday in which I felt I ran really well and while I had minor calf cramping at about a mile and a half I was able to jog it out and then was perfectly fine the rest of the race, and then my first 5 mile run Sunday and had not a hint of calf pain....today's run my calves were acting up so bad I could barely run. In fact, I couldn't. I shuffled and plodded along like I was 90 and had arthritis. If the calves cramp it's usually at about a mile to a mile and a half...sometimes I have to power walk or jog slow for a little, sometimes I have to pause to stretch them, but it generally then goes away and never lasts more than a half mile at most. Today it was the whole run. From the second I finished my warm up until I walked in my door. They never loosened. I was supposed to go 3 miles, but knew I had to at least go 2, because I have to do a 3 mile run, a 2 mile run and a 5.5 mile long run this week. I barely even could do 2. I averaged a 14:40 mm pace. UGH! I just stretched a lot, rolled my calves out with a rolling pin, and now am going to take a hot shower, rub Bengay on the calves, wear calf compression sleeves to work and hope for better luck tomorrow. I would usually take a mulligan on a run like this and do it over, but I have a "short week" for running this week....I am going away for a wedding this weekend and don't think I will be able to get a run in. I took off work Friday to travel to the wedding, and was going to do my long run before I leave. And I've never tried to run more than 2 days in a row. Oh, and for those who read my post about snow yesterday, it was supposed to snow during my run, but it didn't. I was a little disappointed actually! It did start raining towards the end though. A reallllly cold rain. Yuck, I'd have preferred snow.

ANYHOO have a good day Penguins and may your runs be better than mine!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Epic fail of the day: when your front zip up moving comfort sports bra unzips while running an 11 mm on the treadmill!! It's a good thing a had a bra top shirt on, I would have been all over the place!

HAHAHAHA

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to