Beginners and Beyond

MonDAILIES - Keep calm and stop ****** saying keep calm (Read 39 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LRB, did you get to see The Judge this weekend?

Damaris

LRB

MTA: I got the 70 miles idea from LTH's comment from a few days ago saying it's hard to have a McMillan equivalent race time for a marathon if you're running less than 70 miles/week.

You have to work your way up to 70 miles per week, it is not something to be taken lightly (not saying that you are).  I have been running 4 years and still do not come close to it, athough there are others who do so there is that.

LRB

LRB, did you get to see The Judge this weekend?

The Judge?  What's that?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The Judge?  What's that?

Damaris

Zelanie

MTA: I got the 70 miles idea from LTH's comment from a few days ago saying it's hard to have a McMillan equivalent race time for a marathon if you're running less than 70 miles/week.

LTH is like the little voice in the back of our head telling us how much more we could accomplish if we would only

A. Train harder, and

B. Race harder

He's probably right on both counts, but it's good to temper that with some reality about what you're actually ready and willing to handle.  Do people do marathons on a whole lot less?  All the time.  Would they be able to run faster if they did more?  Probably, unless they got injured, run down, or burnt out on the way.  And that's the magic part of the equation that is hard to calculate for somebody else.

PS- Look at Jack Klompus' training for his first, I'm not sure if it was quite McMillan equivalent, but it was at least close, AND a BQ, on 55 MPW tops.

LRB

I am just your lil whipping boy aren't I?  I should just change my name to LWB.  lol

DavePNW

LTH is like the little voice in the back of our head telling us how much more we could accomplish if we would only

A. Train harder, and

B. Race harder

C. Get your BMI <22

Plus this.

Dave

LRB

He's probably right on both counts, but it's good to temper that with some reality about what you're actually ready and willing to handle.  Do people do marathons on a whole lot less?  All the time.  Would they be able to run faster if they did more?  Probably, unless they got injured, run down, or burnt out on the way.  And that's the magic part of the equation that is hard to calculate for somebody else.

You are in full reflection mode and dead on.  I told you you would be!!

LRB

Plus this.

I would like like a mutha fuckin Ethiopian if I did that!  Not that that's bad or anything, I'm just not an Ethiopian.  Big grin

happylily

I keep an average weekly mileage of about 65 miles 6 months of the year (the rest is taper, recovery, vacation from running, so about 45-50 mpw)) and there is about a 6 minute difference between what McMillan says my marathon PR should be based on the half (3:21) and what it actually is (3:27). It really is hard to hit McMillan's prediction for the marathon.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hey, look at that.  With my 2:17 13.1 Boston (which was not a race per se), I beat the McMillan prediction for the marathon by a minute.

Damaris

LRB

Hey, look at that.  With my 2:17 13.1 Boston (which was not a race per se), I beat the McMillan prediction for the marathon by a minute.

NOW GO EAT SOME CHOCOLATE!

B-Plus

Thanks Dave. Now if I can only get an invite for American Thanksgiving I'll be all set.

That has been the common number thrown around as a forum myth for years, and I believe it's a pretty good approximation. But like other have mentioned, it doesn't mean you should run that much or even want to run that much. But say if you do, it takes time to get there. While do don't have time on our side like a 16 year old, I'm still a supporter of modest year over year increases. Say if you get up to a decent level of mileage, maybe 40 miles per week, work with that and next year bump it up to 50, then 60 the year after that, and so on ...

I was once a Pfitz follower, but now I'm a full convert to Hansons. Mostly because I like the style of training, not because I think one is better than the other.

LRB

Thanks Dave. Now if I can only get an invite for American Thanksgiving I'll be all set.

You'd be welcome at my house yo!  Of course I do drink a lot so come thirsty.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

IMO, it does not mean you have to run that much but if you do not, when you see the McMillan prediction, you should take that into consideration and maybe adjust for lower mileage.

Damaris