Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES: Back to Business (Read 37 times)

onemile

That's what my last HM did. And of course I finished 2nd AG. Their excuse was that they were actually running 4 races (5k, 10k, HM, M), so that was too many awards. Um, but you're getting the revenue from 4 races? Anyway my 10k on Sunday I believe gives no AG awards of any kind. (Not sure about OA winner, obv not something I need to be concerned with.) I ran it last year and there were >1000 people in the 5k, so you'd think they could spring for something.

what's the 10k goal?

DavePNW

what's the 10k goal?

Whatever goal you would set for me, then add about a minute.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well, that's the spirit.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

That's what my last HM did. And of course I finished 2nd AG. Their excuse was that they were actually running 4 races (5k, 10k, HM, M), so that was too many awards. Um, but you're getting the revenue from 4 races? Anyway my 10k on Sunday I believe gives no AG awards of any kind. (Not sure about OA winner, obv not something I need to be concerned with.) I ran it last year and there were >1000 people in the 5k, so you'd think they could spring for something.

They already said they've run out of shirts so if you register now, you won't get one unless there are a lot of no-shows. I mean, if you think about it... you register late, you pay more, you get less.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

They already said they've run out of shirts so if you register now, you won't get one unless there are a lot of no-shows. I mean, if you think about it... you register late, you pay more, you get less.

But you register early, there's a chance you may get even less still - like not actually being able to run the race.

Dave

onemile

Sub-40!

so for you we can go easy and make it 41 

bluerun

Super B****

But you register early, there's a chance you may get even less still - like not actually being able to run the race.

This is true. And since these smaller races usually give unisex shirts that I toss in The Abandoned Cradle, I guess it doesn't really matter.

I also don't get a personalized bib. BOO HOO. (I'm actually happy about that, I hate those personalized bibs for some reason.)

chasing the impossible

Half Crazy K 2.0

This annoys me. But I've also done races where they claim you get your selected shirt size if you register by X date and then they fail to follow through.

One smaller race management company around here has started doing a la cart pricing. Usually is like $15 for race only, $25 with shirt and $30 with shirt and medal. They usually have nice shirts,  but I pass on the medal.

DavePNW

Sub-40!

so for you we can go easy and make it 41 

Seriously if I have an amazing day, I am thinking 41:30 is a possibility. PR is 42:11 so I'd still be happy with anything sub-42. Of course I should be in good shape at this point, but also feeling pretty heavily fatigued. Plus 10k's are hard.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

This annoys me. But I've also done races where they claim you get your selected shirt size if you register by X date and then they fail to follow through.

One smaller race management company around here has started doing a la cart pricing. Usually is like $15 for race only, $25 with shirt and $30 with shirt and medal. They usually have nice shirts,  but I pass on the medal.

I WISH more races would do this. If I have to pay extra for a shirt and medal, I'll pass, because I really don't need that shit. But if they charge me all this money, yeah, I expect all the extras!

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

Seriously if I have an amazing day, I am thinking 41:30 is a possibility. PR is 42:11 so I'd still be happy with anything sub-42. Of course I should be in good shape at this point, but also feeling pretty heavily fatigued. Plus 10k's are hard.

Look at the bright side... it's better than attempting to race a 10K after your marathon!

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

For the Tacoma Marathon, I registered plenty early, but showed up at the expo at the very end, and they had run out of shirts. That kind of pissed me off. They had to make more, and I finally got one in the mail about a month later. I also won an AG award there - which were plaques that they also didn't have ready yet. That came in the package with my shirt. Come on people.

A lot of races here have a la carte shirts, which I generally don't get. An extra charge on top of the usual West Coast pricing. Seems like medals are more standard though; that's the first thing I'd give up.

Dave

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

For the Tacoma Marathon, I registered plenty early, but showed up at the expo at the very end, and they had run out of shirts. That kind of pissed me off. They had to make more, and I finally got one in the mail about a month later. I also won an AG award there - which were plaques that they also didn't have ready yet. That came in the package with my shirt. Come on people.

A lot of races here have a la carte shirts, which I generally don't get. An extra charge on top of the usual West Coast pricing. Seems like medals are more standard though; that's the first thing I'd give up.

I actually don't mind when larger races mail you stuff. It's difficult to organize award presentations, and if they're not run extremely well, you end up waiting around for ever. I'd rather see big races just recognize overall podium finishers, and then mail out the rest later. Cincinnati marathon does it that way, which is where I've experienced it, and I'm more than happy to have the award come in the mail.

As for shirts and medals, I would definitely rather not pay for those as they do nothing for me. If it's an awesome shirt, then I'd take advantage of buying it a la cart.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

bluerun

Super B****

The Atlantic City Half Marathon ran out of shirts in 2013 and mailed me one. If that happened today I'd be stunned, because I still haven't received the shirt I was supposedly going to get in the mail from a 10K I did in the summer of 2018. I also have not received my AG awards from Jerusalem for the past three years.

chasing the impossible

onemile

I actually don't mind when larger races mail you stuff. It's difficult to organize award presentations, and if they're not run extremely well, you end up waiting around for ever. I'd rather see big races just recognize overall podium finishers, and then mail out the rest later. Cincinnati marathon does it that way, which is where I've experienced it, and I'm more than happy to have the award come in the mail.

Agreed.  I have not stuck around for the awards and then received a surprise package in the mail - that's nice.

Even better if the reason they mail the awards are because they are customized with your name/finish time.