Beginners and Beyond

Bumbling ThursDAILIES (Read 39 times)

bluerun

Super B****

What's that you say? Is there a time when you're not obsessing over something. Big grin

No, but variety is the spice of life.  (I haven't been obsessing over this marathon.  I barely even think about it.  It's weird.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

Yes, but Pfitz builds that into a 70 mpw plan.  I'm nowhere NEAR that.

Too bad the race the week before the marathon is $10 cheaper... that, I don't think I'd want to do.  (On the other hand, I might have a shot at a top three placement the week before that, so I'd recoup some (or all) of my registration fee.  And I probably have a better chance of that happening with the 5K.  AUGH!)

I wouldn't do a race, even a 5k, one week out.  two weeks out, yes. But usually keep my workouts light in the last week and a 5k is a pretty hard workout.  But YMMV

bluerun

Super B****

I wouldn't do a race, even a 5k, one week out.  two weeks out, yes. But usually keep my workouts light in the last week and a 5k is a pretty hard workout.  But YMMV

But I don't DO workouts.  Hence the dilemma.

chasing the impossible

onemile

But I don't DO workouts.  Hence the dilemma.

Even more reason not to do such a hard one only a week before your race.

bluerun

Super B****

Even more reason not to do such a hard one only a week before your race.

I wouldn't do that one -- it would be the one two weeks before the race.  Or I could volunteer for that race instead... that I'd rather run.

chasing the impossible

onemile

I wouldn't do that one -- it would be the one two weeks before the race.  Or I could volunteer for that race instead... that I'd rather run.

Two weeks out is okay I think. If you don't injure yourself.

Baboon

delicate flower

Hello!!  Headed to the race expo later to pick up packets, then I have to swim and jog.

Re: 5K/10K with regards to marathon training, ideally you want to do a shorter race two weeks after the marathon when you are not fully recovered because that is when PR's are set.

Yay!! I live 2 towns over, I'll totally come out to meet/see all of you! Big grin

YES!!  A short race means much suffering.  Big grin

<3

bluerun

Super B****

Two weeks out is okay I think. If you don't injure yourself.

I have no control over that!!  Maybe I won't forget to float this idea past my PT tomorrow and have him laugh in my face and tell me not to do it.

chasing the impossible

onemile

I have no control over that!!  Maybe I won't forget to float this idea past my PT tomorrow and have him laugh in my face and tell me not to do it.

In that case, is it worth putting your BQ in jeopardy?

bluerun

Super B****

Re: 5K/10K with regards to marathon training, ideally you want to do a shorter race two weeks after the marathon when you are not fully recovered because that is when PR's are set.

That's my Turkey Trot!!  (It would be really sad if I didn't PR that, since I haven't run a 5 mile race since 2014 and my HM pace is twenty seconds per mile faster than that.)

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

In that case, is it worth putting your BQ in jeopardy?

If I BELIEVED I was going to BQ... I mean, why would a 10K be worse than a long run?  The injury I most fear is a sfx, and it's volume that matters there, not intensity.  This is the one problem with not following a plan -- if I were, this wouldn't be an issue.

chasing the impossible

Baboon

delicate flower

That's my Turkey Trot!!  (It would be really sad if I didn't PR that, since I haven't run a 5 mile race since 2014 and my HM pace is twenty seconds per mile faster than that.)

THERE YA GO.  I've penciled in a 5K two weeks after this marathon.  I have not run anything at 5K effort in six months.  What's the worst that can happen?

<3

DavePNW

THERE YA GO.  I've penciled in a 5K two weeks after this marathon.  I have not run anything at 5K effort in six months.  What's the worst that can happen?

I don't like to schedule anything firm post-marathon, till post-marathon. Because marathon.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

I don't like to schedule anything firm post-marathon, till post-marathon. Because marathon.

This is how I feel all the time, marathon or not.

chasing the impossible

LRB

This applies to pre-marathon as well, and is one reason why some people won't even write the word race, let alone say it. Hell, there are those who won't even run a half marathon 5 week out.

Different strokes and all that...