Beginners and Beyond

Integrity vs. Outcome Goals (Read 127 times)

LRB

Actually, what makes us attracted to certain physical features? Some kind of animal instinct?

If you are a female, I am attracted to you.  Period.

And yes, I am an animal.  

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I want a 6 pack.

But I like food too much  **sigh**

happylily

If you are a female, I am attracted to you.  Period.

And yes, I am an animal.  

I guess I walked into that one. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

DavePNW

Actually, what makes us attracted to certain physical features? Some kind of animal instinct? Why do women like broad shoulders and abs on men and men like big breasts and prominent butts on women? When it comes to facial features, we are all unique in our tastes, but when it comes to bodies, we all gravitate around those characteristics. Weird...

Well I imagine an anthropologist would tell you that from an evolutionary perspective (for those of you who believe in such things), women are attracted to features in men that will indicate their ability to be a good provider, and men are attracted to women whose appearance suggests childbearing capability. Facial features don't really have any relationship to your skills.

Dave

DavePNW

I want a 6 pack.

Ironic that having a 6-pack is prevented by drinking 6-packs.

Dave

LRB

Food, is good.  I am going to have some after my run this morning!

happylily

Well I imagine an anthropologist would tell you that from an evolutionary perspective (for those of you who believe in such things), women are attracted to features in men that will indicate their ability to be a good provider, and men are attracted to women whose appearance suggests childbearing capability. Facial features don't really have any relationship to your skills.

EDITED my first comment. It's a special time of the year and I want to be nice. 

Yes, you must be right. It's just so strange that we have changed physically over the centuries, due to climate changes, changes in our diet, lifestyle, medical advances, etc... But sexually, we have kept a lot of our primal instincts.

Nevrgivup

And if you are a runner you get bonus points in terms of attraction.  

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

happylily

+1!

DavePNW

+a gazillion

Dave

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

Big breasts as signs of attractiveness are new.  The Renaissance beauty ideal was small but high-set, round breasts, and lots of cultures don't emphasize the boobs as much as we do.  Large breasts also do not signify fertility at all--there's not actually a connection.  And they are inversely proportional to comfort while running.

That aside, I've seen people attain abs before, but not everyone has the six-pack.  Some people have more or fewer separations.

And do you know how LOW your body fat has to be for most women to have a six-pack?  It's rare to have a (defined--I have a blurry one) six-pack and maintain the essential body fat you need for fertility.

I don't know about the topic of this thread.  I think the need to identify with achievements is increasingly prominent in our culture.  I think seeking out identities as 'marathoner' or 'ripped guy/gal' because we're increasingly estranged from each other socially and want membership in groups.  We want people to recognize us as part of a tribe.  I don't even think it has as much to do with self-esteem.  It has to do with trying to find an identity at all in a world in which we just don't have the same comprehensive familial and social ties.  I mean, look at why we all hang out on a running forum.  We want to be part of a community of like-minded people.

I do think that you get some social status as well as a sense of belonging for achievements like a six-pack or a nicely shaped body or race credentials.  So there's that.

Me, I only consider doing a marathon when I think about how awesome the crowds are. But MY self-concept is that of the iconoclastic outsider, so clearly I don't want to do the most popular or esteemed type of race.  I want to do the most painful and still underappreciated type. Big grin

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

happylily

Your post made me sad, Scapp. I think you may be right in a way...

DavePNW

Me, I only consider doing a marathon when I think about how awesome the crowds are. But MY self-concept is that of the iconoclastic outsider, so clearly I don't want to do the most popular or esteemed type of race.  I want to do the most painful and still underappreciated type. Big grin

Which is...??

Dave

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I'm sorry my post made you sad, Lily!  I think we do have a nice community here and to be fair, tribal culture has its problems.  Like lack of clean water, racial prejudice (against other tribes) and stuff.  I think our more inclusive yet somewhat more alienating culture is still a step up from how the world used to be.

Which is...??

The mile, of course. Smile

(And the 800.  That's arguably the most painful race and most people don't even know it IS a race.  It's not a sprint and not a distance race, so what's even going on?  And there are no road 800s, to my knowledge).

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

RSX

I didn't read the article, but as far as perception of our tastes for the opposite sex I have to wonder if it comes down to maturity. I still know immature guys for their ages who are fairly shallow when it comes to preferences.