Beginners and Beyond

Such is SaturDAILIES (Read 40 times)

LRB

You are going to push me over the edge. I have been craving a burger for the last week or so. Now I know what I am having for dinner.

That's the dailies for ya. lol

happylily

So do you really prefer the treadmill? Or are you trying to punish yourself / build mental toughness?

I guess I realize that it's easy to get used to running outside because the mental stimulation helps so much. On the other hand, I still prefer the TM because I find it more practical when it comes to speedwork and it helps me zone out  Also, I think it has protected me from injuries over the years. But it's definitely hard to go back to it after a prolonged absence. Does it make sense?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

If these lackluster performances keep up, I may start! I can pretty much eat anywhere, even steak houses. There is always something available, being there does not bother me.

I just had my blood retested and my ferritin has inched up to 31 (it was 16 in June) which is still low for a runner so I have been making an effort to eat more meat!

DavePNW

Yes. I bake 5 or 6 at one time then bag 'em separately for the week. It's actually a tasty snack when baked for two hours or more, which allows the natural sugars to release.

This is what we do. I love cold sweet potatoes. You're right you have to bake the shit out of them till they're total mush. I sit at my desk at work and eat it like it's an ice cream cone. Had one yesterday & having one with lunch right now. I cannot fathom why people load these things up with butter and brown sugar (and god forbid marshmallows). They're SWEET potatoes, people, they don't need anything on them.

Dave

DavePNW

I guess I realize that it's easy to get used to running outside because the mental stimulation helps so much. On the other hand, I still prefer the TM because I find it more practical when it comes to speedwork and it helps me zone out  Also, I think it has protected me from injuries over the years. But it's definitely hard to go back to it after a prolonged absence. Does it make sense?

No. But nothing any of us do makes any sense, so it fits right in.

Dave

Zelanie

Ran my 6.  Didn't notice until I was about half a mile in that it was really smoky outside.   There was a "footgolf" tournament going on at the park, so that was something new.

Also, thanks for reminding me how much I enjoy sweet potatoes.  We often bake up a week's worth of regular potatoes for lunches, maybe I'll throw a couple of sweet potatoes in there too.

onemile

Kind of. I find treadmill speed work easier because it keeps the pace for you and you just have to try to keep up.  Also the weather,  road conditions,  elevation changes,  wind, biting dogs etc, make it more appealing many days.

And the TM does work slightly different muscles and I know if I try to run on it too many days in a row in the winter I start having issues.

It just sounded like you were doing it specifically to torture yourself.

happylily

I was just being polite by asking. It does make sense, damn you.

happylily

Kind of. I find treadmill speed work easier because it keeps the pace for you and you just have to try to keep up.  Also the weather,  road conditions,  elevation changes,  wind, biting dogs etc, make it more appealing many days.

And the TM does work slightly different muscles and I know if I try to run on it too many days in a row in the winter I start having issues.

It just sounded like you were doing it specifically to torture yourself.

Yes, Zel, I agree with you.

It's not about punishment but more about wanting to train in the way that I feel will most benefit me, even if some aspects of it seem daunting at times The mental side of racing long distances is not easy for me and TM running has always helped me before. Lately, though, I haven't been very good at it.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Good afternoon.

I went out to a 5k that Dan (Texas CPA) was to be racing.  No Dan!

No worries, hung out and chatted , warmed up, paced and ran some more.    1.5+3.1+5 miles... not a bad morning very relaxing.

It is fun for a change to  run with racers and watch strategies etc as they race.

LRB

LRB

I cannot fathom why people load these things up with butter and brown sugar (and god forbid marshmallows). They're SWEET potatoes, people, they don't need anything on them.

Because they do not bake them long enough.

LRB

It is fun for a change to  run with racers and watch strategies etc as they race.

I have done that. It is fun, provided you are in a good place running-wise.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I have done that. It is fun, provided you are in a good place running-wise.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes, Zel, I agree with you.

It's not about punishment but more about wanting to train in the way that I feel will most benefit me, even if some aspects of it seem daunting at times The mental side of racing long distances is not easy for me and TM runnin g has always helped me before. Lately, though, I haven't been very good at it.

I feel the same about running outside right now. That I can go out in 98F and run adjusting my pace? Sure.  But right now, I feel my training will go better with tbe consistency and better weather that the TM is providing. Lily's reasons are different but I think she is saying the same.  That she will get better results training this way.

Damaris