Beginners and Beyond

Such is SaturDAILIES (Read 40 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks for making me cook sweet potatoes even though my recipe for tonight does not have any.

Damaris

LRB

Did baked kale chips today and OMG, ate them in 2 seconds.

I have never made those but have had them store bought. Where of course they are a million dollars for a handful.

Hip Redux

Oski, wouldn't they get mushy in the microwave?

Did baked kale chips today and OMG, ate them in 2 seconds.

7 on the TM done.  Now where is that martini?

You're really only heating it up enough to release some steam - if it gets mushy, you cooked them too longer (5-6 minutes is for big potatoes, smaller ones are less time).    They should still feel fairly raw before they go into the oven.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have never made those but have had them store bought. Where of course they are a million dollars for a handful.

ANd less healthy!  They are super easy to do!  And you can add anything from soy sauce, sriracha to just salt and olive oil.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You're really only heating it up enough to release some steam - if it gets mushy, you cooked them too longer (5-6 minutes is for big potatoes, smaller ones are less time).    They should still feel fairly raw before they go into the oven.

Thanks!  I'll try that next time.  I can eat sweet potatoes all day long.

Damaris

LRB

ANd less healthy!  They are super easy to do!  And you can add anything from soy sauce, sriracha to just salt and olive oil.

I know, I just have not gotten around to it.

StepbyStep-SH

DS and I ran a small town 5k this morning with maybe 25 people total and a bit short on the distance - DS was the second male finisher in a blazing 29:56; I was right behind him for second in my AG. :P

Then a drive through a wildlife refuge - we stopped and used the scopes for a while and managed to see an egret catch and swallow a frog. Then ate way too much really cheese pizza topped with sausage, pepperoni and mushrooms.

Our original plan for the afternoon was to try our hand at kayaking on a local lake that has "memberships" to use kayaks, canoes and paddleboards for just $10/year. Kayaks were scratched because the line to even sign up for one would have taken us 20+ minutes, so we hit a beach for a little while instead. Then stopped at fruit stand and picked a half-gallon of fresh raspberries, plus bought squeaky cheese curds and a watermelon.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

GinnyinPA

I love sweet potatoes, but have never tried cooking them that long.  I always use butter and occasionally brown sugar. DH won't eat them, so I mostly just get them at restaurants.

Today was the coolest day this week, so I did a longish run - 12.6 miles.  I went to check out the course for a HM in a nearby town.  I wasn't that impressed, but that may have just been my mood.  There was no shade for most of the way, so even though it was only 82, I was feeling the heat. I made a wrong turn, so ended up running along a busy highway for the last mile or so and missed the last couple of miles of the course.

LRB

I love sweet potatoes, but have never tried cooking them that long.  I always use butter and occasionally brown sugar. DH won't eat them, so I mostly just get them at restaurants.

There was a place here called Red Hot & Blue, it was a Memphis BBQ restaurant. That was where I experienced my first real baked sweet potato a million years ago, and eventually learned how to replicate them at home.

Will you be running a fall half in place of the marathon?

Half Crazy K 2.0

There was a place here called Red Hot & Blue, it was a Memphis BBQ restaurant. That was where I experienced my first real baked sweet potato a million years ago, and eventually learned how to replicate them at home.

Will you be running a fall half in place of the marathon?

I didn't realize that was a chain. There was one of the those in Laurel, MD where I grew up.

LRB

I didn't realize that was a chain. There was one of the those in Laurel, MD where I grew up.

It closed last year. I entertained many guests and acquaintances there over the years, and knew the staff by name. I will miss it.

The Famous Dave's BBQ franchise is still here but is nowhere close to RH&B.

onemile

I just ran 6.

cjones1

I ran 0 today, but since this place has turned into the Food Network today, I'll just drop by and say I ate a crapton of food today, and I'm not sure I'm done even yet.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Little Blue

We had one here in cental NC, too.  It's long gone.

I despise sweet potatoes, but I'm learning to eat them grudgingly.  I might try this method.  Do they taste less sweet potato-y?

Hip Redux

We had one here in cental NC, too.  It's long gone.

I despise sweet potatoes, but I'm learning to eat them grudgingly.  I might try this method.  Do they taste less sweet potato-y?

Try the purple skin/white flesh ones (some times called japanese sweet potato), they are not as sweet and less fiber-y as the other versions.   Orange sweet potatoes are not my favorite and I love these.