Beginners and Beyond

HM without GU'sh stuff, just liquids possible? (Read 110 times)

DavePNW

I just raced a half last weekend with no fuel & no water. No issues, felt great, set a PR. It was cold; if warmer I imagine it would not be recommended to go without water. Like D2 & many others on the forum, I have been doing training runs through the winter without taking anything up to ~15 miles / ~2:15. (I seem to recall Lily recently did a crazy water-free 20 miler experiment, which did not end so well.) But the point is that water should be the most you ever really need for a half, anything else is personal preference. I am not so experienced personally, but have read quite a bit on these forums to that effect.

Dave

bobruns

Being a Florida runner I am very comfortable running with water so carrying a handheld with my own fluid is natural for me.

cmb4314

I just raced a half last weekend with no fuel & no water. No issues, felt great, set a PR. It was cold; if warmer I imagine it would not be recommended to go without water. Like D2 & many others on the forum, I have been doing training runs through the winter without taking anything up to ~15 miles / ~2:15. (I seem to recall Lily recently did a crazy water-free 20 miler experiment, which did not end so well.) But the point is that water should be the most you ever really need for a half, anything else is personal preference. I am not so experienced personally, but have read quite a bit on these forums to that effect.

I am the same way - up to about 15 miles (which for me is more like 2:30) I don't bother with anything at all when it's cold out, not even water.  I was doing 20 milers in ~20 degree weather this winter, and even on those when I was taking gels, I was barely drinking anything - pretty much just a couple of ounces to wash the gel out of my mouth, and that's it.  I wasn't sweating at all, so I just really didn't get thirsty.

Meanwhile, on a 20 miler in the middle of the summer, I've gone through 100 or so ounces of water, and come inside and guzzled even more.

In my HMs, I kind of just make a decision when I approach the water stop, whether or not I need it or not.  Or, whether my desire for water outweighs my desire to not get caught up in the clusterfuck that is the water stop.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

DavePNW

In my HMs, I kind of just make a decision when I approach the water stop, whether or not I need it or not.  Or, whether my desire for water outweighs my desire to not get caught up in the clusterfuck that is the water stop.

This.

I started this HM with the intention of no water, although if I felt I needed it I certainly would have taken some. It was such pleasure to just keep running past the water stops without a second thought. Although no matter how wide a berth I took, could not avoid the f***ing cups strewn all over the place.

Dave

bobruns

I  

...another reason I carry my own handheld.  I really can't stand the waterstops.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Experts recommend 30 - 60 grams of carbs per hour.  1 gel is 30 grams and 1 8 oz serving of G-ade is 15 grams of carbs.

For a 2 hour half that puts you at 60 - 120 grams of carbs recommended.  4 servings of G-ade will take care of the minimum recommended so there should be no need for the gels on a HM if you are aiming for a 2 hour finish.

Misty

I never took in calories during races/LRs until I started training for my marathon.  I was actually really dreading it because I always had trouble with nausea after a race or LR and the thought of eating during the run really stressed me out. What I found, however, is that taking in GU every 5-6 miles during my 17+ mile LRs actually really helped my stomach and made for a quicker recovery post run. Out of all the race distances I've done (5k-marathon), the marathon was the only race in which my stomach felt great during and immediately after! I was able to eat a full meal less than an hour after finishing, when typically it would take several hours for me to be able to tolerate anything other than water.

So, I'm considering taking in a GU midway through my next HM just to see if it prevents the nausea/upset stomach I tend to have afterwards.

Misty

Bless your heart.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Like you said, everybody is different but I think you can.  I have done marathons with one Gu and the rest Gatorade because of stomach issues.

Good luck.

Damaris