Beginners and Beyond

To push it or not to push it (this saturday's HM) (Read 79 times)

DavePNW

Except that McMillan's marathon equivalent time for a 1:56 HM is 4:04, plus 15 minutes, you get 4:19. You're far from 4:00, or even 4:07.

He is just using double HM time +15, not McMillan prediction +15.

Dave

DavePNW

Running wimps like me...   

What does being a running wimp have to do with running 5k's & 10k's?

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Ya'll are beginning to confuse me lol.

Forget about a sub 4 hour, or anything close to a 4 hour finish alright? 

I have decided on 3 goals and I've stated those:

A) a sub 4:30:00 would make me happy

B) a 4:20:00 would make me very happy

C) a 4:15:00 would make me extremely happy but there are no guarantees on race day

I am not going to worry about trying to run with anyone or make friends, because then I will feel the need to chit chat which would end up slowing me down because I will get distracted and not focus. I'll take a pic of my gear and let ya'll know my bib number so if anyone (onemile) is out there and happens to see me, you can say hi and we can chat a little before the start 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

He is just using double HM time +15, not McMillan prediction +15.

Oh yeah, you're right... I had a margarita on my way back from the doc. It doesn't take much for my reading comprehension skills to disappear...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

C) a 4:15:00 would make me extremely happy but there are no guarantees on race day

I am not going to worry about trying to run with anyone or make friends, because then I will feel the need to chit chat which would end up slowing me down because I will get distracted and not focus. I'll take a pic of my gear and let ya'll know my bib number so if anyone (onemile) is out there and happens to see me, you can say hi and we can chat a little before the start 

Plus your secret secret goal which is not stated here, right? Because let's be honest, we all have those. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

DavePNW

Plus your secret secret goal which is not stated here, right? Because let's be honest, we all have those. 

NOW YOU ARE FURTHER CONFUSING HER.

Dave

onemile

I think you will be fine as long as you don't go out faster than a 9:45 pace.  You may very well be in shape to run faster than that but we have no way of knowing that without a recent race result.  And I would really hesitate to run faster than that without some evidence that you indeed have the fitness for it.  Especially since it's your first, I think it's better to be conservative.

I will definitely look for you to say hi and wish you luck.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lily, at this point I am not acknowledging any secret goal lol as I am too scared to even fantasize about finishing faster than 4:15:00. If I was to have a secret goal now, it would be a sub 4:15:00... yep 

Dave, I am trying my hardest to think to much about it lol.

Onemile definitely, I will probably need someone to keep me calm before the start lol. Pace calculator states that a 4:22:00 finish requires a 10 min/mile pace so I will try to put myself either near the 4:25:00 pace leader (if there is one) or between the 4:15:00 and 4:20 or 4:30 pace leader. I'm staying in the SpringHill Suites just down the street from the start and immediately around the corner of TGI Fridays which is where we'll be eating Friday night before the race. Their Bruschetta Chicken Pasta didn't fail me last year so I'll be eating that again this year before the race and it's just a walk from our hotel so no confusion and not much driving once we get in and get back from the Expo.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

onemile

Lily, at this point I am not acknowledging any secret goal lol as I am too scared to even fantasize about finishing faster than 4:15:00. If I was to have a secret goal now, it would be a sub 4:15:00... yep 

Dave, I am trying my hardest to think to much about it lol.

Onemile definitely, I will probably need someone to keep me calm before the start lol. Pace calculator states that a 4:22:00 finish requires a 10 min/mile pace so I will try to put myself either near the 4:25:00 pace leader (if there is one) or between the 4:15:00 and 4:20 or 4:30 pace leader. I'm staying in the SpringHill Suites just down the street from the start and immediately around the corner of TGI Fridays which is where we'll be eating Friday night before the race. Their Bruschetta Chicken Pasta didn't fail me last year so I'll be eating that again this year before the race and it's just a walk from our hotel so no confusion and not much driving once we get in and get back from the Expo.

I can't remember where I stayed last year but I do remember the awful mile long walk back to the hotel afterwards. I just wanted to curl up on the sidewalk and die rather than walk back to the room.  This year I am at the Embassy Suites.

It looks like they have a 4:15 group and a 4:30 group.  And a 3:25 group. Hmmmmmm.  Link

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I can't remember where I stayed last year but I do remember the awful mile long walk back to the hotel afterwards. I just wanted to curl up on the sidewalk and die rather than walk back to the room.  This year I am at the Embassy Suites.

It looks like they have a 4:15 group and a 4:30 group.  And a 3:25 group. Hmmmmmm.  Link

last year after running the hm and getting that sub 2 hour pr, we had to walk back to... well shit I can't remember it but it wasn't more than a 10 minute walk from the finish. Got back to hotel, showered and then we went to eat, but I collapsed in the elevator, DH had to get me a coke  I am not a soft drink person but it helped.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hilton or Marriott I think...

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Oh my freaking god! Ha, I went to the IMM website and to the link for paces where it lets you put in your half marathon finish time to predict your marathon finish. The fucking thing says 3:53:16 , I almost peed myself with laughter lol..... I then put in my fastest 5k finish and it gives me a 3:28:09 lmao! This thing is on drugs lol, but it sucks that they don't have a pacer between 4:15 and 4:30.

PRs

DavePNW

Oh my freaking god! Ha, I went to the IMM website and to the link for paces where it lets you put in your half marathon finish time to predict your marathon finish. The fucking thing says 3:53:16 , I almost peed myself with laughter lol..... I then put in my fastest 5k finish and it gives me a 3:28:09 lmao! This thing is on drugs lol, but it sucks that they don't have a pacer between 4:15 and 4:30.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not what it's telling you. Your HM PR pace over 26.2 miles gives 3:53, and your 5k pace over 26.2 is 3:29.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not what it's telling you. Your HM PR pace over 26.2 miles gives 3:53, and your 5k pace over 26.2 is 3:29.

http://www.monumentalmarathon.com/pace-team/#pace

Damn thing sure seems like it's trying to estimate your finish. It even gives you your splits according to your most recent race finish.

PRs

DavePNW

http://www.monumentalmarathon.com/pace-team/#pace

Damn thing sure seems like it's trying to estimate your finish. It even gives you your splits according to your most recent race finish.

Yes. But for a race of the same distance.

Dave