Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Sunny ThursdayLIES (Read 37 times)

sdWhiskers

I use a combination security system which consists of this:

Lol. We have a baseball bat and a cat who is afraid of the FedEx guy. Btw, love your profile pic of snowy dog!

I feel safer in my current neighborhood than several previous places. We're just evaluating our options.

DavePNW

yeah it's making it pretty unenjoyable to keep trying to run.. I mean it's definitely better but still feels fucked up. 

Ugh. That sucks.

I've kind of been a little like that - a lot of stuff just doesn't feel quite right. One injury or pain sort of leads to another. Overall I'm getting through it, but there are days I can't remember what a good run feels like. Still plan on building up and seeing how it goes. I did do a set of strides a couple days ago. On one hand they didn't seem to aggravate my hamstring too much, as I feared they would. On the other hand, they were ridiculously slow. It just felt like my legs were moving a little faster but I was not actually being propelled forward any faster.

Dave

onemile

Ugh. That sucks.

I've kind of been a little like that - a lot of stuff just doesn't feel quite right. One injury or pain sort of leads to another. Overall I'm getting through it, but there are days I can't remember what a good run feels like. Still plan on building up and seeing how it goes. I did do a set of strides a couple days ago. On one hand they didn't seem to aggravate my hamstring too much, as I feared they would. On the other hand, they were ridiculously slow. It just felt like my legs were moving a little faster but I was not actually being propelled forward any faster.

Well I ran today and it didn't really feel any worse than yesterday. So I guess I'll plug along as long as what I'm doing doesn't seem to be setting it back.

Onemile, I think I love you.  That security system wins the internet.  Also, love the new avitar.  Sorry you're still feeling off, hope it resolves soon.  I need to call the chiro guy to pop my pelvis back where it's supposed to be, it's worked its way back out of alignment.

7 this morning.  I've apparently found a new easy pace, and it's like a minute slower than it used to be.  I don't have the excuses RWMD has--no snow, no wind, just dead legs.  I'm really hoping this is a factor of more miles causing cumulative fatigue, but it's a little scary.  This is totally uncharted mileage territory for me.  And like KC, I bargained with myself a lot to get through it.

RWMD, you are going to be so incredibly glad you did the puppy run training early.  I have been very good about not taking mine running per all the vet advice, and now he's almost 90 pounds and a total spaz.  If I'd practiced with him as a little guy, he would know how to behave.  As it is, my husband started taking him for about 1.5 miles a few times a week (dog runs on the grass, hubs on the sidewalk), and they average about a 6:25 pace.  So now we have a dog that was obtained in large part to be my running buddy, but now he's ridiculous and terribly behaved and capable of ripping my arm out of socket and has no concept of jogging like a normal dog.    I'm actually scared to take him, I'm pretty sure I'll get hurt.  Either from falling down or legit he'll fuck up my arm.  So yeah.  Train her now.

GC100K, I got the deodorant last night, used it this morning on the problem area.  I couldn't find "sport gel," but I got Xtreme Defense 5, it's gel.  It's not a total test since it was relatively short, but it seemed to work better than the other stuff I've been using.  I think it's got real promise.  Thanks for the tip.

LRB and Docket, you guys understand my struggle.  Docket, I'm right there with you, the humidity just makes it so much worse.

DavePNW

Well I ran today and it didn't really feel any worse than yesterday. So I guess I'll plug along as long as what I'm doing doesn't seem to be setting it back.

I am going to try a couple miles of tempo tomorrow. But I'll be surprised if I even get down to MP. And I'm not even exaggerating.

Dave

onemile

I am going to try a couple miles of tempo tomorrow. But I'll be surprised if I even get down to MP. And I'm not even exaggerating.

ha, those first workouts back suck

RunningOnSand

For those of you dealing with injuries/niggles, my PT posted this article. If you scroll down (past the "you should rest!" section) you'll see some things on when to rest, when to keep running. Maybe you guys already do a lot of these things, but there's also some good stuff in there. For your reading pleasure.

DavePNW

For those of you dealing with injuries/niggles, my PT posted this article. If you scroll down (past the "you should rest!" section) you'll see some things on when to rest, when to keep running. Maybe you guys already do a lot of these things, but there's also some good stuff in there. For your reading pleasure.

Easy. When to rest: when bone is protruding through skin. When to keep running: all other times.

Dave

LRB

Easy. When to rest: when bone is protruding through skin. When to keep running: all other times.

And even then, only if said bone is a part of the legs.

LRB

USRD/SRD. I was supposed to do 8 and be off tomorrow, but I moved my LR to tomorrow because I have a 12 hour work day Saturday and it originally I thought I was going to snow Friday night into satueday, of course now it’s going to snow tonight. Maybe the roads will be okay by the afternoon, I’m off tomorrow so I can do it whenever. Or bite the bullet and do it on the stupid TM. Training for a spring marathon in the Midwest is stupid

It's definitely not ideal. I think anyone who has done it once, hesitates to do it twice.

onemile

Pretty good advice and in line with what I try to do. Last week I couldn't walk without limping so no running. My pain does go away after warm up and doesn't seem to be getting worse w/ the running I am doing this week

onemile

It's definitely not ideal. I think anyone who has done it once, hesitates to do it twice.

I did it once and said Never Again.  But then I wanted to run Boston. But I half assed that training

LRB

I did it once and said Never Again.  But then I wanted to run Boston. But I half assed that training

If your training for Boston was half assed, mine was quarter assed. lol

onemile

If your training for Boston was half assed, mine was quarter assed. lol

No, I just have a bigger ass 

LRB

No, I just have a bigger ass 

lol

I have no ass. It's basically two sitz bones and some skin.