Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES promises to be sticky icky (Read 41 times)

Cyberic

I trained for 10 years in the heat (90-100F) and never felt it benefited me in any cold race.  I think it helps if the race is as hot as your training but otherwise, it does not make you faster in the Fall.

Well, to me your experience and opinion are most certainly valuable as far as running in the heat is concerned.

LRB

What do you guys think of this?

http://maximumperformancerunning.blogspot.ca/2013/05/training-in-summer-heathumidity.html

I think the idea makes sense, but I'm not sure if working out in the heat is worth it.

I don't really have a say in the matter June through August because I have few viable options, so I actually train that way unwittingly. Having said that I cannot really say with any certainty because my falls have been spent chasing marathon glory, so if there was any benefit to speed training in the heat, I threw it away like a dumb ass for a stupid fucking finishers medal and one millionth place in a race with a billion people in it.

I suppose things might prove different this year for a change as there is no fall marathon in my future for the first time since 2011. The only problem for me is trying to regain the absolute insane training fitness I had two summers ago might be a lost cause. If that turns out to be the case, then I will just train to be the best that I can be, now.

Ric-G

I think the idea makes sense, but I'm not sure if working out in the heat is worth it.

It might be but I have no real evidence that means anything except for personal experience. It's hot enough here throughout summer and fall. If my training has mainly been done in the heat, then a marathon run with temps in the 60s or 70s is ok with me. That same marathon at 90 degrees would suck. In any case, I really can't avoid not running in higher temps.

Today was 5 miles in the AM before any nasty heat that will go up to 105 or so. Ugh. Anyway, have a good day everyone.

marathon pr - 3:16

delicate flower

'Morning!!  I took the day off from work just for the hell of it and told Coach to load me up, so that he did.  I was up at 5:00 and out the door early.  I swam 4250 yards at the pool, which is IM distance.  HOORAY!  First time I've done that.  That took me about 90  minutes, then I threw on the bike clothes and headed out for a 60 mile ride right from the pool...a long swim/bike brick workout.  The ride was fine and I took it mostly easy, but hydration was an issue.  I stuck to my usual nutrition plan which has been working, but I should have adjusted the water intake today for the heat.  It got up to 90, and I got real thirsty the last 20 miles of the ride.  I'll adjust accordingly next time.  Anyway, 60 mile ride at 17.4 mph.  Not bad.  Five hours of exercise on the day.  Stick a fork in me.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

3.2 miles done in McAllister Park, San Antonio, a park quite close to my house.  Did my run/walk at 7:30 pm. It was still warm at 94 degrees and 101 heat index.  Thankfully the paved trails we did had lots of shade.   This was a group run - some of us went 3, some went 6, some went other distances -  and a birthday party for one of our fellow runners so after we got back to the park pavilion we enjoyed cold beer and water, and various grilled items like chicken, beef kabobs, veggie kabobs, beans, potato salad, cookies, and birthday cake.   Good times with friends.  Big grin

Rest day today after 3 days in a row of running.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

Having said that I cannot really say with any certainty because my falls have been spent chasing marathon glory, so if there was any benefit to speed training in the heat, I threw it away like a dumb ass for a stupid fucking finishers medal and one millionth place in a race with a billion people in it.

Speaking of irony; my official finisher's certificate from Boston just came in the mail today. Too bad the result was a 40 minute marathon personal worst. lol

DavePNW

Speaking of irony; my official finisher's certificate from Boston just came in the mail today. Too bad the result was a 40 minute marathon personal worst. lol I RAN BOSTON, BITCH!

FYP.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

FYP.

This!

I forgot how much I snack around while at home.  These next two weeks might make me gain 20lbs.  LOL.

Damaris

Cyberic

6.5 miles in a feels like temperature of 99*

LRB

I just sat down to finally pay a bill I've carrying around since June 16, and of course, they are closed on Friday.

Cyberic

Speaking of irony; my official finisher's certificate from Boston just came in the mail today. Too bad the result was a 40 minute marathon personal worst. lol

I didn't even know we got a finisher's certificate.  Another useless thing I won't throw away, but won't know what to do with.

Maybe I could blank the name, and sell it on ebay!

Official 2016 Boston Marathon Finisher's Certificate.

Impress your friends!  Just type your name in, and spend the rest of your life basking in the glory of the few who conquered the most famous running event on earth.

LRB

I didn't even know we got a finisher's certificate.  Another useless thing I won't throw away, but won't know what to do with.

Maybe I could blank the name, and sell it on ebay!

Official 2016 Boston Marathon Finisher's Certificate.

Impress your friends!  Just type your name in, and spend the rest of your life basking in the glory of the few who conquered the most famous running event on earth.

That's actually not a bad idea. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

8 with 6 X 400m.  Started outside but it got too humid for intervals after the rain stopped, so ended up doing 3 outside, and the rest inside.

And to those getting the heat dome, my bad.  I just wanted all of you to experience our nice fucked up weather!

Damaris

delicate flower

I got my training plan for the next two weeks, and what's that little fella I see next Sunday??  Could it be....why yes, it is!  A 20 mile run!

<3

LRB

I got my training plan for the next two weeks, and what's that little fella I see next Sunday??  Could it be....why yes, it is!  A 20 mile run!

7:49? Done!