Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES: Wakey Wakey (Read 33 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hey, you're doing pretty good for a cripple.

I ran my 8.  Not a big fan of running in the dark on busy roads during the evening commute, but I have to if I want hills.

Unfortunately, that's me most of the time I run outside.  This neighborhood is now one of the busiest commute crossovers (West to East) in Miami, morning or afternoon.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

I'm not one to give advice on how to prepare for Boston well, but wouldn't just running 2 solid weekend runs on hills be enough? During day time. Stay safe, man.

Yeah probably.  I should clarify that my roads are "suburb busy," not "city busy."  Still a lot of people driving home and I don't trust drivers.  I watch every single one of them as they approach to make sure they are not coming right at me.

<3

RunningOnSand

Yeah probably.  I should clarify that my roads are "suburb busy," not "city busy."  Still a lot of people driving home and I don't trust drivers.  I watch every single one of them as they approach to make sure they are not coming right at me.

Please be careful. An acquaintance of mine just lost her husband; he was training for IM AZ and was on a ride when he was hit by a car and was killed. Sad There are so many distracted drivers.

I ran a bit over 6; it was so nice to run outside and not slip (too much) on icy roads! Oh, and I wore my Athleta Polartec tights that Onemile recommended (it was finally cold enough to wear them--20 or so degrees, with about a 10mph wind, so a feels like temp in the low teens). I FREAKING LOVE THEM. Thank you!

DavePNW

We have an employee who just got hit by a car crossing the street from our facility. It was this afternoon, in broad daylight. Shit can happen. I think he broke a knee or something; could have been much worse, no head injury or anything.

Dave

onemile

Oh, and I wore my Athleta Polartec tights that Onemile recommended (it was finally cold enough to wear them--20 or so degrees, with about a 10mph wind, so a feels like temp in the low teens). I FREAKING LOVE THEM. Thank you!

Yay, glad you like them! I wear them for dog walking and have to change afterwards because they are too hot to wear around the house

RunningOnSand

Yay, glad you like them! I wear them for dog walking and have to change afterwards because they are too hot to wear around the house

Ha! I found the same thing (as I wore them last week for dog walking, but since I wore my regular winter coat (covers the butt) I didn't feel like I really got a good read on them. And I was too lazy to take them off after walking the dog...but quickly changed my mind! They are SO comfy! But today I wore a 1/2 zip on top...no butt coverage and yet it stayed toasty warm. Big grin

RunningOnSand

We have an employee who just got hit by a car crossing the street from our facility. It was this afternoon, in broad daylight. Shit can happen. I think he broke a knee or something; could have been much worse, no head injury or anything.

Sad

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ugh, Dave.

That happens almost daily down here. Especially with cyclists. Fucking distracted people.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Unfortunately, that's me most of the time I run outside.  This neighborhood is now one of the busiest commute crossovers (West to East) in Miami, morning or afternoon.

Can you run near your office? Would that be better, or just more traffic lights?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Can you run near your office? Would that be better, or just more traffic lights?

It’s probably worse and downtown Miami is full of homeless and more violent than my quiet suburb. Most of Miami has lots of lights. Every 0.50 or so there is a light. My suburb used to be quiet; as in no people after 6pm. Things have changed but it is still better than downtown or other areas of Miami. Safer by a lot but still very busy for people not used to this.

FL is very dangerous for pedestrian and cyclists

Damaris

Cyberic

That's what I do when I'm out of town and have to share the road with cars.

Although Montreal is far from the best running place, it still is pretty good compared to most of the places I've been. I never have to take my car to go to a safe place to run.

DavePNW

It’s probably worse and downtown Miami is full of homeless and more violent than my quiet suburb. Most of Miami has lots of lights. Every 0.50 or so there is a light. My suburb used to be quiet; as in no people after 6pm. Things have changed but it is still better than downtown or other areas of Miami. Safer by a lot but still very busy for people not used to this.

FL is very dangerous for pedestrian and cyclists

Yeah it’s pretty crazy around where I work too. A lot of danger to pedestrians and cyclists, but often because they act like they own the road. They just go anywhere, and assume cars will stop for them. Guy crossed the street right in front of me the other day on his bike, with no light and wearing all black, nowhere near an intersection. I had just glanced down briefly to adjust the heat, and it was a pretty close call. Add drivers on their phones, and it’s a wonder more people aren’t hit.

Dave

workinprogress11

Work, man....it is testing my patience these days.  I am literally wanted in three places at the same time most of the time.  God dammit.

Can I ask what your job is?  From things I’ve seen you post in the past, I think we might have very similar jobs.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Have you all gotten the stupid Bird & Lime scooters? The pedestrians & cyclists near my work are crazy enough, now we have scooters everywhere. Some ride on the road with traffic, some against and some on the sidewalk. It's a total free for all.

DavePNW

Have you all gotten the stupid Bird & Lime scooters? The pedestrians & cyclists near my work are crazy enough, now we have scooters everywhere. Some ride on the road with traffic, some against and some on the sidewalk. It's a total free for all.

Amazingly I haven’t seen any of the rental scooters here, just the rental bikes. But I saw some of those when I was in San Diego (Whiskers warned me), and they just looked like people ready to get themselves killed.

Dave