Beginners and Beyond

Guess I'm starting the SunDAILIES (Read 33 times)

DavePNW

I saw Creed II last night. In it, there's a scene where he's running at top speed. He looks so rigid that you'd half expect an elbow or shoulder to come flying off. Not that I am any better, it's just that when you see things in movies that you have knowledge of, you are sometimes like, that's not how that goes.

Well I don't think they ever bothered to make the boxing realistic either, for that matter. I haven't watched boxing in years, but certainly have seen a fair bit over the course of my life. In reality it's 90% stalking each other and hugging, with some punches interspersed. In the movies it's 15 solid rounds of non-stop punching. I saw Rocky I through V, and that was enough. Now if you told me they had Creed show up at his fight with the Killmonger scars all over his chest, I might be interested. And as long as we're talking crossovers - have him burst into flames during the fight, since he also played the Human Torch in that awful Fantastic Four reboot.

Dave

LRB

Well I don't think they ever bothered to make the boxing realistic either, for that matter. I haven't watched boxing in years, but certainly have seen a fair bit over the course of my life. In reality it's 90% stalking each other and hugging, with some punches interspersed. In the movies it's 15 solid rounds of non-stop punching. I saw Rocky I through V, and that was enough. Now if you told me they had Creed show up at his fight with the Killmonger scars all over his chest, I might be interested. And as long as we're talking crossovers - have him burst into flames during the fight, since he also played the Human Torch in that awful Fantastic Four reboot.

Killmonger was the ish. When he disrobed that first time, my jaw dropped. They could've used him against Thanos!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Pretty sure they do, but you know it never even struck me. If I signed up, I'd want to race it, but just had no inkling I'd be ready to run a respectable half by now. I do have one scheduled for January; this was sort intended to be the first workout on the training schedule for that.

Sounds like it was a success. Big grin

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job, Docket!  I was amazed at how much alcohol lined that course last year.  Wife and I are about 95% in for next year.  HM for her, FM for me.  How was the weather today?

The start was 67F and 66 dewpoint and dense fog.  I never saw the sun which saved us and it didn't get above 70F because otherwise it would've sucked more.  It was humid but not hot.

We want to do all 4 races for the new challenge, so we will be there.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Killmonger was the ish. When he disrobed that first time, my jaw dropped. They could've used him against Thanos!

That would've helped the 1/2 of us that died thanks to that...

Damaris

onemile

I was going for 13 miles with progression, to finish with 3 miles at LT. However I inadvertently progressed too quickly, so I pretty much decided to just let 'er rip. Ended up with 13.1 miles in 1:39, 7:33 avg pace. My last HM, early in the year when I was struggling with mysterious chronic slowness, was 1:41-something. So I guess I'm recovered? Seattle Marathon was today - guess I should've run it after all!

53 for the week.

Wow, nice!!

onemile

I ran 12 at an 8:40 pace, to balance out all the fast running 

Half Crazy K 2.0

An 8 year old ran the NCR marathon (race I did in 2016 and 2017) in 3:32.

onemile

I don't think children running marathons is a good idea 

DavePNW

Wow. I just looked it up, the world record for an 8yo is 3:00. 

Dave

DavePNW

I don't think adults running marathons is a good idea either.

MTA: got me web-searching. Interesting NYT article about child marathon runners, mainly back in the '70s. NYCM had no minimum age until 1981. Guess they mostly turned out OK, although some became lawyers, so that's debatable.

It does seem like a pretty bad idea intuitively, but not sure how much science there is behind it one way or the other.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

The post said he was a cancer survivor. Looks like he is really into skateboarding--what I saw said it was something active he could do without being exposed to lots of people/germs. Maybe the running somehow came from that?

Runshortii

I ran 13. Still up north in the middle of nowhere until tomorrow. At least I didn't get hit by any deer hunting bullets while running so that's a plus. Oddly enough there's barely any snow up here but apparently a blizzard going on back home.

onemile

but apparently a blizzard going on back home.

It just started here

LRB

It just started here

I hear tell it'll be here by morning. Blah