Beginners and Beyond

Tubular Tuesdailies (Read 32 times)

LRB

A female cyclist was hit early this morning in Evansville, but the dumbass was wearing dark clothes on a street with no lights. A lot of times it's the driver, and other times it's the cyclist 🤷‍♀️

The poor thing could've been escaping a hostage situation. Did you think about that?

Cyberic

Right. On two separate occasions (out of thousands) I've put my foot into an intersection about to start running without thinking with cars coming. I was deep in thought both times and really could've gotten myself F'd up had I not come out of it. But, the weird thing is, I was the pedestrian with the right of way in each instance, but that doesn't always mean you can just run into the streets. Usually, I look, look, look and look before I cross and again while crossing. In fact, someone I know saw me doing that and mentioned it. I was like you cannot be too careful walking or running these days!

On a related note, I run past run over signs, traffic control boxes and barricades where if I or any other pedestrian were there at the time it would have been lights out. It's always eerie to me because that meant the car drove off the road and across a sidewalk. Scary.

I rely a lot on my hearing when running, and that has played tricks on me lately with electric cars. For some reason, a couple of times I crossed a street without stopping to look because there was nobody there, but there was. I'm so used to always hear bikes and cars coming that if I don't hear anything, there's nothing there. My subconscious knows that. But if the electric car is not moving, it is completely silent. If I come up and we're in each other's blind spot for some reason while it is stopped, the car can start moving while I run in front of it.

So even though I'm careful, and avoid cars as much as I can, it could still happen to me.

And there's always the cases, like mentioned, of the car losing control and going through a bike lane or a sidewalk.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The poor thing could've been escaping a hostage situation. Did you think about that?

Oops.... I never considered that. Thankfully she only had some scrapes and bruising though.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

9 miles with RP.

Half Crazy K 2.0

8 miles with 3 x 6 minutes at something between 10k and HM pace and 9 x 35 seconds fast. I did part on the high school track, usually no one is on the track in the spring, but there are lots of softball leagues on the lower fields. Not tonight. They got a new turf field, so a girls lacrosse team was practicing. OMG, this is why tracks get locked to the public. The crash pad for the high jump/pole vault was out. Kids were sitting on it, jumping on it and they even had a little puppy walking around in it! Then the actual track. One little kid on a bike with training wheels. A mom with a maybe 1 year old wandering back and forth across the lanes. Several pairs of walkers who took up at least 3 or 4 lanes. Then 2 people came toward the end and decided to run the opposite direction from everyone.

In the drivers are assholes, I was in a crosswalk leaving the track, which is raised, has brick inlays and a big ass pedestrian crossing sign and assholes in a truck totally ignored it. If you are going to drive like an asshole, maybe don't wear your boy scouts uniforms.

Docket, that is awful about the master's runner.

DavePNW, glad DS is ok.

GinnyinPA

82 this afternoon, but clouds moved in as I began my run so it wasn't bad. I arrived home 3 minutes after the rain started. Allergies were the worst part of the run, but I did 6.1 miles.

D - sad that even a really experienced runner can get into trouble on the streets. On my group runs I've seen people do some really stupid things, on the assumption that since they're in a group, they're somehow safe.

Dave - I'm glad your son wasn't hurt. Scary for everybody.

LRB

8 miles with 3 x 6 minutes at something between 10k and HM pace and 9 x 35 seconds fast. I did part on the high school track, usually no one is on the track in the spring, but there are lots of softball leagues on the lower fields. Not tonight. They got a new turf field, so a girls lacrosse team was practicing. OMG, this is why tracks get locked to the public. The crash pad for the high jump/pole vault was out. Kids were sitting on it, jumping on it and they even had a little puppy walking around in it! Then the actual track. One little kid on a bike with training wheels. A mom with a maybe 1 year old wandering back and forth across the lanes. Several pairs of walkers who took up at least 3 or 4 lanes. Then 2 people came toward the end and decided to run the opposite direction from everyone.

What a cluster burger! 🍔

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

HCK, on the city next to ours, they brought a speed skating team to practice on the track.  And people dared tell others to let them be.  How the fuck can people practice speed skating while others are running at 1/4 of their speed.  Recipe for disaster.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

HCK, on the city next to ours, they brought a speed skating team to practice on the track.  And people dared tell others to let them be.  How the fuck can people practice speed skating while others are running at 1/4 of their speed.  Recipe for disaster.

OMG, that is crazy. I'm assuming they were on roller blades? If so, I would think a track is not the best option since it is a textured surface.

RunningOnSand

My son got hit by a car on his bike yesterday. He's fine, just has a scraped up & swollen elbow, but nothing broken. Bike is not in such great shape though. He was actually hit by some kind of city-operated shuttle van, so presumably they have good insurance coverage and will take care of everything. Obviously we're just glad he's OK. There are so many bikes on college campuses, surprising this doesn't happen more often.

Holy crap! I'm so sorry! I'm so grateful he's fine--you guys must be totally rattled.

sdWhiskers

7 miles in feels like way too warm for April.

I assume all drivers are not paying attention.  Just like I assume all dogs will bite me if given the chance.

RunningOnSand

I assume all drivers are not paying attention.  Just like I assume all dogs will bite me if given the chance.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I assume all drivers are not paying attention. 

This I do, but there's not much I can do when the driver deliberately runs me off the road except jump out of the way, hopefully in time to avoid a collision.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.