Beginners and Beyond

Mental Endurance for Marathon (Read 209 times)

Walk-Jogger

68.1% of statistics cited on internet forums were made up out of thin air.     Big grin

And as we all know, thin air is made up of:

Nitrogen -- N2 -- 78.084%

Oxygen -- O2 -- 20.9476%

Argon -- Ar -- 0.934%

Carbon Dioxide -- CO2 -- 0.0314%

Neon -- Ne -- 0.001818%

Methane -- CH4 -- 0.0002%

Helium -- He -- 0.000524%

Krypton -- Kr -- 0.000114%

Hydrogen -- H2 -- 0.00005%

Xenon -- Xe -- 0.0000087%

Ozone -- O3 -- 0.000007%

Nitrogen Dioxide -- NO2 -- 0.000002%

Iodine -- I2 -- 0.000001%

Carbon Monoxide -- CO -- trace

Ammonia -- NH3 -- trace

Big grin

Retired &  Loving It

Will run for scenery.

And as we all know, thin air is made up of:

Nitrogen -- N2 -- 78.084%

Oxygen -- O2 -- 20.9476%

Argon -- Ar -- 0.934%

Carbon Dioxide -- CO2 -- 0.0314%

Neon-- Ne -- 0.001818%

Methane -- CH4 -- 0.0002%

Helium -- He -- 0.000524%

Krypton -- Kr -- 0.000114%

Hydrogen -- H2 -- 0.00005%

Xenon -- Xe -- 0.0000087%

Ozone -- O3 -- 0.000007%

Nitrogen Dioxide -- NO2 -- 0.000002%

Iodine -- I2 -- 0.000001%

Carbon Monoxide -- CO -- trace

Ammonia -- NH3 -- trace

He who detected it ejected it.  Big grin

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Wow, 5 pages - this must be a great thread. I read the first page, and it was good.

RW did do an article in May about mental training. I thought it was a good read. Check it out.

- Andrew

Brr - thanks for the link.  It was a good read on sports psychology.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Love the Half

He who detected it ejected it.  Big grin

Big grin

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

never run

To me it's only mental for the very last part of the race when running actually gets hard.  The first 20 miles of my last one were fun because I was going so easy it wasn't until the last 6 that I had to work at it.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I found that training through anything and everything really changed my definition of hard. -5 degrees, snowing sideways, and wind? Go run. 90 degrees with 87% humidity and no breeze? Go run. Legs dead, working overtime, and feeling stressed to the max? Still go run. I'm not saying I never missed a run but I ran a lot of days that I absolutely would have skipped before. And I've done a lot of workouts that I would have said were too hard before. If my plan says to do something now I pretty much find a way at all costs, even rearranging days or taking vacation from work. I don't ever want to race another marathon (7 so far) with a single doubt in my mind that I could have trained better.

I think there is something to this. When it is 95F and humid, it's great to have confidence that I believe I will outperform my regular competitors because I've been running in the daytime, not before dawn like them.

If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years, then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter. I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to.

(quote by one of the greats)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

No more marathons

I think there is something to this. When it is 95F and humid, it's great to have confidence that I believe I will outperform my regular competitors because I've been running in the daytime, not before dawn like them.

Too true - when I wore a younger man's shoes I lived in Tampa and many of my runs in the summer were at lunch time with temps in the 90's.  I always felt more confident in races where others were complaining about the heat.  On the flip side, at one point I visited my home in PA and entered a local race - cocky young man figured I'd smoke many of the locals.  Got my lesson learned when some fat kid wearing tennis shoes passed me on one of the many hills.  At least I finished ahead of the visiting dignitary - George Sheehan - but he was as old then as I am now.  Big grin

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!