Beginners and Beyond

Snowy MonDailies (Read 31 times)

onemile

My cycle:

Different ways to skin a cat.

Of course.  I just prefer to skin mine this way!  It all just suited what *I* like and what works for *me*.

DavePNW

Of course.  I just prefer to skin mine this way!  It all just suited what *I* like and what works for *me*.

Indeed. And I would like to try yours when I get sick of mine. Which will probably be sometime in the middle of the next cycle.

So, up for a vote - should I try some intervals tomorrow? If so, what?

Dave

onemile

So, up for a vote - should I try some intervals tomorrow? If so, what?

Here are some pre-race workouts that I have had for race week:

2 mile warm up
        3 x 800m with 2.5 minutes rest, slightly slower than race pace. 
        Then 3 x 400m a tad faster than race pace. Take 90 seconds rest.
        2 mile cool down

4 mile warm up
        2 x 800 with 2 minute rest - at 5k race pace. Concentrate on just feeling good and letting the pace come to you.
        4 x 400m slightly faster than race pace.
        2 mile cool down

2 mile warm up
        15 minute tempo - cut down each 5 minutes. 1/2 marathon effort, slightly faster, 10k effort.
        (4 minutes rest)
        4 x 400m with 90 seconds race at race pace
        2 x 200m with 90 seconds rest slightly faster
        2 mile cool down

They are meant to get your legs ready to run fast without being overly taxing.  I wouldn't do a full blown workout. And I also wouldn't push the paces too much.

Otherwise, for my 'return to speedwork' after a marathon, I am typically given a fartlek where the focus is on getting my legs moving faster and not on pace.  Something like 20x1 minute on, 1 minute off or 4 miles of 2 minutes on, 2 minutes off.

DavePNW

Thanks! Workout on Tuesday for Saturday race make sense?

Dave

onemile

Tuesday or no later than Wednesday.  And don't hammer it too hard.

Runshortii

Easy 4 miles. It's finally feeling like spring here.  Few easy weeks of running and then marathon training starts for my first (hopefully) 26.2. Weee!

onemile

Easy 4 miles. It's finally feeling like spring here.  Few easy weeks of running and then marathon training starts for my first (hopefully) 26.2. Weee!

Which one are you doing?

Ric-G

a few miles later.

baboon - he really nailed bautista and then followed it a left tap from his gloved hand. pretty cool.

good luck finding the right race dave

cyber - I hear you about the soccer schedule stuff

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

Yes, absolutely. It's pretty much standard for me. My only hard and fast rule is to run easy for three days before a race. The thing with you though is you're coming off of a PR marathon, so that is the one thing that could give pause. Of course everyone handles those things differently, so proceed accordingly.

Cyberic

I won't be doing Pfitz. It just doesn't appeal to me. MLRs... bleh.

If I do the Hansons, I will have to switch days around to something like this to make it work with my life schedule.

Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
                      Hansons Easy

Int or Str

RD MP Easy Easy Alternate week LRs
                      Me RD Int or Str Easy Easy MP Easy Alternate week LRs

Rest day becomes Monday instead of Wednesday, and MP day becomes Friday. I think the schedule still makes sense.

This winter's home made program was:

Tuesdays 10K pace intervals at the beginning -> Daniels T pace as the weeks went on

Thursdays Daniels T pace at the beginning -> Hansons Strength pace as the weeks went on

Sundays, the long run. More traditional than Hansons, and with some MP portions.

Although I don't think Hansons is perfect, it makes sense and I know it works for me.

This winter's program has all I like in a program but since it has 3 quality days, it's easy to get carried away and do too much.

Still not decided.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The last ship I was on had a quarter mile track on one of the decks.  You'd need to hit that thing really early in the day though before the swarms of walkers wake up and start waddling around it.  Also, footpod will be needed because a moving ships tends to mess with the GPS numbers.  Smile   The cruise we recently bailed on was a new ship that has a half mile fully covered track that went around one of the decks.  I was looking forward to that, as cruise running goes anyway. 

I would prefer the TM rather than that shit.

super busy at work from 7 til now. Ran 5 on the TM and they didn't feel easy at all. This asthma congestion needs to go.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

Pic from after the finish line at last month's half. No I did not run an extra .12 to make up for the short course, it just looks that way, especially with the guy who is clearly done & probably checking his GPS in disbelief.

Runshortii

Which one are you doing?

Chicago. With my luck the way the weather has been so far, it'll end up being 80 degrees lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Chicago. With my luck the way the weather has been so far, it'll end up being 80 degrees lol

It was near 80F when I finished last year.

Damaris

LRB

a few miles later.

baboon - he really nailed bautista and then followed it a left tap from his gloved hand. pretty cool.

good luck finding the right race dave

cyber - I hear you about the soccer schedule stuff

Is your avi from this weekend?