Beginners and Beyond

Saturday (Read 41 times)

onemile

I ran 5.  12 degrees and sunny.

onemile

4 miles. I could deal with the 17 degrees if the wind would stop. Was able to get the cycling toe/foot covers under my shoes. My toes were warm. My ass is frozen.

I didn't realize until I saw your comment yesterday that the Lululemon challenge only counts outside runs. It is giving me 32 km or 19 miles.  But I guess you only need 80km to complete it right?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Me too  My 405 was great but the two I've had since then 

Me three. Several, in fact.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I didn't realize until I saw your comment yesterday that the Lululemon challenge only counts outside runs. It is giving me 32 km or 19 miles.  But I guess you only need 80km to complete it right?

Yeah. Only outside miles. Most of the Strava challenges are like that. In the summers, I tend to end up in dead last with 0 miles.

Damaris

Cyberic

Me too  My 405 was great but the two I've had since then 

I know it happens, not just in Garmin, btw.

A friend had a TomTom Runner. Lasted less than a year. He bought a 235 since then, and he got a refund for the TomTom from the credit card company. They credited the amount on the purchase of the Garmin.

Another friend had a Polar. He sent ii back to get fixed (replaced) not once, but twice. He was running another friend's old Garmin in the months it took to get the replacement Polar back.

Hopefully, the "built like a truck" look of the F3 will be passed on to the electronics as well Smile

Half Crazy K 2.0

Onemile, yea, only GPS runs. I guess it's a non-issue since your indoor track is closed, but would GPS work there? At least it is only 80km. Well, technically 40 km gets you one badge, 80 another.

KCRuns, nice PR! I'd imagine in better conditions you would be faster--probably just from being able to shed layers.

LRB

My 630 will be 2 in November and nothing I've read about any of the newer models interests me so I don't know what I would do if it takes a shit.

Garmin seems intent on cramming way too much as much shit as they conceivably can into their watches trying to please everyone, which in turn may please no one.

Runshortii

KCruns nice PR!!

I ran 14 miles total, 3 miles easy, 3 miles @ 7:30, 3 miles easy, 3 miles @ 7:30 and 2 mile cool down. It's on a hillier route than I normally do my LRs because apparently the town isn't capable of shoveling the damn sidewalks  (that are across from an elementary school where children walk to school...and we haven't had snow in weeks). It felt okay. Don't feel like I could hold that for 13 miles straight, but I never feel I can hold HM pace so who knows. Think I overdressed, and then I started sweating and then I was cold. At least it's supposed to warm up to a balmy 25 tomorrow!

Still can't decide if I like my brooks adrenalines or hoka arahi's better for longer runs. The adrenalines were starting to bother me on the balls of my feet today, but the hoka arahi aren't as comfortable as the hoka infinite were, I raced the marathon in them and they were great (but they discontinued those ), and the hoka feel bulky to me for faster stuff compared to my adrenalines.

DavePNW

My 630 will be 2 in November and nothing I've read about any of the newer models interests me so I don't know what I would do if it takes a shit.

Garmin seems intent on cramming way too much as much shit as they conceivably can into their watches trying to please everyone, which in turn may please no one.

Right. IDK what I would replace my 220 with. The 235 I guess, but even that has way too much stuff. I would even consider one of the cheapos like 25/35, but I think they are pretty limited for programming workouts.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I know it happens, not just in Garmin, btw.

A friend had a TomTom Runner. Lasted less than a year. He bought a 235 since then, and he got a refund for the TomTom from the credit card company. They credited the amount on the purchase of the Garmin.

Another friend had a Polar. He sent ii back to get fixed (replaced) not once, but twice. He was running another friend's old Garmin in the months it took to get the replacement Polar back.

Hopefully, the "built like a truck" look of the F3 will be passed on to the electronics as well Smile

My TomTom is 4 years old so far so i assume is the same as the Garmins. Some have had bad experiences and some have not.

Damaris

Coastal

Has anyone ever tried cycling toe covers over running shoes? All my running shoes are mesh, so the wind cuts through them. I have a pair of the toe covers sitting around the house from my cycling days. It seems like they are a little too tight over the shoes, but wonder if they would work over my socks.

Some people use duct tape to cover the mesh.  Might be less bulky feeling.

6 miles on the TM at the Y.  No core work - -not feeling it today.

Baboon

delicate flower

Got my run done.  7.5 miles in 10 degrees, and it was a pretty steady wind chill that was -10.  Not really an issue when I wasn't running into it, but definitely cold on the face.  Colder than last weekend's runs and on a hilly route, but faster today thanks to my improving shin. 

<3

LRB

KCruns nice PR!!

I ran 14 miles total, 3 miles easy, 3 miles @ 7:30, 3 miles easy, 3 miles @ 7:30 and 2 mile cool down. It's on a hillier route than I normally do my LRs because apparently the town isn't capable of shoveling the damn sidewalks  (that are across from an elementary school where children walk to school...and we haven't had snow in weeks). It felt okay. Don't feel like I could hold that for 13 miles straight, but I never feel I can hold HM pace so who knows. Think I overdressed, and then I started sweating and then I was cold. At least it's supposed to warm up to a balmy 25 tomorrow!

We're supposed to get that and I was excited for a return to running. Then I realized that most of the day will be in the single digits, with the 20s coming near midnight. Great.

I wore the adrenalines for about 80 miles and would not consider them a LR shoe. I think each shoe manufacturer has a cushioned (read, heavy) shoe in their rotation, I would look there if I were you.

GinnyinPA

KCRuns - congratulations on doing so well in those conditions.

HC - you might try bread wrappers inside your shoe, over your socks. I know hikers who do that when it's cold. You might sweat too much though.  I find my feet warm up pretty quickly when I'm running. Not so much when we're walking the dog.

I did my 5 on the TM. Wind chill was in the negatives and I just didn't think it worth the effort for a short run. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer and less windy.

onemile

Got my run done.  7.5 miles in 10 degrees, and it was a pretty steady wind chill that was -10.  Not really an issue when I wasn't running into it, but definitely cold on the face.  Colder than last weekend's runs and on a hilly route, but faster today thanks to my improving shin. 

Are you still using your coach?