Beginners and Beyond

Black Fridailies, aka Thanksgiving Food Hangover Dailies (Read 43 times)

LRB

And of course I'm posting on west coast time. 

I didn't even think about that. Damn.

Cyberic

Garmin 620 w/HRM is $199 at runningwarehouse.  DAMN.  Is that a normal sale price on that thing these days?  Because that is an awesome deal.

I'm not even a compulsive buyer and the Garmin deals are hard to resist

Baboon

delicate flower

It comes with the HRM-Run strap, and that strap alone sells for $99.

<3

LRB

Yeah you're not going to beat that. Amazon has it for $179.00 without the HRM, $229.00 with it. They also have the 310 and 610 for $119.00.

I bought my 410 for $129.00 from them three years ago which was the sale of the century at the time.

No more marathons

OK, I've been considering a new garmin because, well , you know, just because.

Have a 210 that I like.

Is the 620 a good watch?  With or without the chest strap?  I've not had much luck with the strap.

Reads high when I start, OK in the middle, then drops off at the end.  Sweat too much?

Oh, I do actually read many of the dailies - just don't partake much.

MTA:  Yeah, I know I could check out DC Rainmaker, but -----

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Baboon

delicate flower

Have a 210 that I like.

Is the 620 a good watch?  With or without the chest strap?  I've not had much luck with the strap.

Reads high when I start, OK in the middle, then drops off at the end.  Sweat too much?

Oh, I do actually read many of the dailies - just don't partake much.

MTA:  Yeah, I know I could check out DC Rainmaker, but -----

IMO, the new 'HRM-Run' strap that comes with that device is their best strap yet.  Still an occasional spike in the beginning of a run, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be and it even less so if you dampen the strap before use.  I use the strap in triathlons, so it's completely submerged in water for the swim.  No issues with the readings dropping off.  I had a bunch of problems with the 620 when I first got it, but I was an early adopter and Garmin fixed all the little bugs through a series of firmware updates.  For $199, I'd say that is going to be tough to beat.

DC Rainmaker loves the 620, fyi.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

Enablers! I just bought a 220. I compared the 220 and 620 on the Garmin site & just didn't see myself using all the bells and whistles it comes with. Oh, and I found a RW coupon code for an additional 10% off, so the total was $152. I got the HRM, not sure I need it since I do have a HRM for my 405.

Nice racing yesterday Baboon, DavePNW and D2.

No more marathons

IMO, the new 'HRM-Run' strap that comes with that device is their best strap yet.  Still an occasional spike in the beginning of a run, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be and it even less so if you dampen the strap before use.  I use the strap in triathlons, so it's completely submerged in water for the swim.  No issues with the readings dropping off.  I had a bunch of problems with the 620 when I first got it, but I was an early adopter and Garmin fixed all the little bugs through a series of firmware updates.  For $199, I'd say that is going to be tough to beat.

Thanks Babs - runningwearhouse is already sold out - but Amazon still has some.

Did the soft belt change in the past few years?  I've got one, but it's about 4 years old - got it when they first came out.  I used it for about 6 months but results were inconsistent.  Used medical gel to dampen before each run (still have a big tube) but still not reliable.  Maybe it's my heart that's screwed up?

Oh - great 5K yesterday.  Woo Hoo.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

And so do I.

It is the best Garmin of the three that I have owned (410, 220, 620). I did not get the strap with mine (but still paid twice the amount it's on sale for today goddamit) but wouldn't wear it all that much if I did have it.

It is ironic that you're supposed to pair it with your computer and smart phone, because it pairs well with me, too.

Baboon

delicate flower

Thanks Babs - runningwearhouse is already sold out - but Amazon still has some.

Did the soft belt change in the past few years?  I've got one, but it's about 4 years old - got it when they first came out.  I used it for about 6 months but results were inconsistent.  Used medical gel to dampen before each run (still have a big tube) but still not reliable.  Maybe it's my heart that's screwed up?

Oh - great 5K yesterday.  Woo Hoo.

Garmin has gone through a bunch of changes to the strap in the last four years.  Even the strap that comes with the 620 has been updated at least twice.  I think 4 years is well past the shelf life of what is expected from a strap.  I'd say you're doing well if you can get two years out of one before having to replace it.

And thanks!

<3

DavePNW

Have a 210 that I like.

My 2 cents: KEEP IT. With Garmins, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Because you can buy a brand new one and it will already be broke. And the one you have will be broke soon enough anyway, then you can shop without regret. All this is based on my extensive experience...in reading the RA forums. (I have only owned 2 in my life.) For this reason, Garmin deals do not tempt me.

That said: I liked my 210 for the most part. When it stopped working, I bought a 220. I have been pretty happy with that; there are several features which make it a step up from the 210. It has everything I need without too many things I don't. To me, more features = more complexity of operation = more things to stop working.

Dave

Cyberic

My 2 cents: KEEP IT. With Garmins, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Because you can buy a brand new one and it will already be broke. And the one you have will be broke soon enough anyway, then you can shop without regret. All this is based on my extensive experience...in reading the RA forums. (I have only owned 2 in my life.) For this reason, Garmin deals do not tempt me.

That said: I liked my 210 for the most part. When it stopped working, I bought a 220. I have been pretty happy with that; there are several features which make it a step up from the 210. It has everything I need without too many things I don't. To me, more features = more complexity of operation = more things to stop working.

I get sync issues with my 610 once in a while, but a good ol' history flush has been a cure all fix up until now.

LRB

It was the epitome of ignorance is bliss as I was perfectly content with my 410, to the point I that I would have easily bought another had mine failed. I also considered getting one as a spare many times but never pulled the trigger. Now I feel that way about the 620.

The 220 was an upgrade to the 410 as well, the one I had just had issues.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Just finished weights. Run later, maybe even in shorts

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Says the one who runs mega races.. 

Yeah, but in mega races, people are not overwhelmingly crazy.

Damaris