Beginners and Beyond

Monday Dailies (Read 34 times)

Cyberic

Well, there ya go. Try racing in single digits and report back. Easy runs are different.

Nah. Will not do it. Even if I did want to, it would be very hard to find a race with comparable conditions to a fall race, except for the temperature. In the cold there are also winter conditions (ice, snow, slush), cannot drink as easily in the little cups, you have more clothes.... So many factors would be different, and the difference in performance would be in great part due to all that together, and not temps alone.

But, I am just sharing my opinion, as usual, and feel free to think otherwise. I am in no way offended by that.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

does not compute.

That's for Canadians.  Sort of like when I say moderate heat of 100F...

Damaris

onemile

But, I am just sharing my opinion, as usual, and feel free to think otherwise. I am in no way offended by that.

But, your opinion would be more meaningful if you actually had experience in the topic...

Cyberic

But, your opinion would be more meaningful if you actually had experience in the topic...

It would, but it will not happen. I'm happy with my opinion as it is 

Baboon

delicate flower

Racing in different conditions is fun.  I don't race to set a PR every time, though that would certainly be ideal.  I race because I like to compete and win stuff.  I have lined up for a race thinking "This is awful.  WTF am I doing here?" and I did it anyway.  Smile

<3

Cyberic

That's for Canadians.  Sort of like when I say moderate heat of 100F...

LOL

And to be fair, A sunny 0*F with no wind is not so cold in my opinion if dressed properly, but it does not take much wind at those temps to fall into the very cold category.

LRB

Also, Turkey Day 5K forecast is saying single digit temps.  Yikes.

You'll most likely go sub-19:00 just to spite the weather.

Cyberic

Racing in different conditions is fun.  I don't race to set a PR every time, though that would certainly be ideal.  I race because I like to compete and win stuff.  I have lined up for a race thinking "This is awful.  WTF am I doing here?" and I did it anyway.  Smile

Yeah, I notice that. You race ALL.THE.TIME. Hard courses, easy courses, good weather, bad weather. You're a competitor, dude!

Baboon

delicate flower

You'll most likely go sub-19:00 just to spite the weather.

Sub-20 would be fantastic.  My speed just hasn't been there the past five weeks, which is fine after the year I've put my body through.  The last two years I have gotten injured right around this time (hamstring in 2016, shin tendinitis in 2017) so I'm happy to just be healthy.

<3

sdWhiskers

3 easy miles in the most perfect running weather: 50s and sunny. Plus only 10% the normal traffic.

My experience with racing in cold weather (< 30F) from years ago wasn't good. But of course, that was back when I didn't warm up because I didn't want to waste any energy...which meant the first mile or so was done with completely frozen/numb feet

DavePNW

I ran a 5k in 20F actual temp, but windchill was in the low single digits. I ran a PW by ~1:45. Partially due to the cold, partially due to clothing (3 layers on top, 3 layers on bottom); I do recall feeling pretty constricted. But probably mostly due to the fact that it had started snowing heavily earlier that morning, and continued throughout. Footing was pretty iffy, there were people racing in YakTrax. They did have indoor space for pre-race & post-race, which was nice. Although I remember that day I wanted to do some extra miles afterwards to get an LR in. So following warming up nicely post-race, I layered back up on top of my sweat-soaked base layer, put back on my sweat-soaked hat, neck gaiter, & gloves, and went back out into the cold & continuing heavy snow for another 8 miles. That part was pretty miserable.

Dave

LRB

They did have indoor space for pre-race & post-race, which was nice. Although I remember that day I wanted to do some extra miles afterwards to get an LR in. So following warming up nicely post-race, I layered back up on top of my sweat-soaked base layer, put back on my sweat-soaked hat, neck gaiter, & gloves, and went back out into the cold & continuing heavy snow for another 8 miles. That part was pretty miserable.

Such a vivid picture you paint. Brrf!

LRB

Yeah, I notice that. You race ALL.THE.TIME. Hard courses, easy courses, good weather, bad weather. You're a competitor, dude!

Great point. Unlike me, who has left almost as many races as I've stayed for for one reason or a dozen. lol

The most egregious was a 5k in Lansing one year. I drove 70 minutes, registered, jogged 3 miles for a warm up, determined I wasn't feeling it, then got in my car and left. 

Half Crazy K 2.0

10 miles while waiting for my car. Found $40 at the start of my run. Ended the run at a cupcake store. I no longer have $40. 

I guess I can't complain about the crisp 25 degree weather for my turkey trot.

KCRuns

Found $40 at the start of my run. Ended the run at a cupcake store. I no longer have $40. 

That is the BEST way to start a holiday week!