Beginners and Beyond

Monday Dailies (Read 34 times)

DavePNW

Normally I would think shorts might be too much, but when I raced a HM last January I took your clothing advice and it was perfect, so I’m going to go with it  I think last year for this race I wore two layers and tights and got too hot and spent a good portion of the race angry about it

As is ALL her advice.

I would also be LS + shorts. And gloves. Add pullover + maybe pants for the warmup. For me, shorts in training are down to about 30, but that probably extends lower for a race.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Coldest Thanksgiving predicted in 22 years.  YAY!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

As is ALL her advice.

I would also be LS + shorts. And gloves. Add pullover + maybe pants for the warmup. For me, shorts in training are down to about 30, but that probably extends lower for a race.

I typically wear tights in training under 40 but not for a race!

onemile

I completely agree   but I also live somewhere with basically the same weather every single day. So my running attire is shorts and tank every day. Year round. I'm trying to anticipate and prepare maybe for the worst? I don't run in pants or capris so wouldn't really add in those at this point. I was thinking of buying arm sleeves to go with the shorts/tank/visor.

Sounds like at CIM you can stay in the buses up until almost start time so I wouldn't completely freeze. But 40's are temps I only see a week or so each year!

I can't even comprehend this.

I have running attire for temps ranging from 0*F to 95*F and outside of that range I would run indoors. lol

Runshortii

I have running attire for temps ranging from 0*F to 95*F and outside of that range I would run indoors. lol

I can’t comprehend it either. I have so much running attire for a wide array of temps it’s not even funny

DavePNW

I have running attire for temps ranging from 0*F to 95*F 

Although of course the range where things get tricky is much narrower. For me, 95 down to low 40s is the exact same attire. Just different amounts of sweat. From low 40s down to low 20s is where it seems I add an article of clothing every few degrees. Then below that it's probably more or less the same. Although I forget; since I moved out here, the coldest I've had to run in is 24. 

Dave

sdWhiskers

Haha I don't even look at the weather forecast to prep for runs. Put shorts/tank out at night, get dressed in the morning in the dark and head outside. All is fine 99.9% of the time. I only avoid outdoor runs when it's so windy that tons of dry dead tree branches are falling down everywhere.

I have a bag of winter running clothes from when I lived in CT >8 years ago. That was before having a child so guaranteed nothing fits even though I'm still the same weight.

KCRuns

I can’t comprehend it either. I have so much running attire for a wide array of temps it’s not even funny

+1

Runshortii

I ran a total of 8 miles. 2 mile w.u, 2 mile c.d and 4 x 0.5 mi repeats with equal recovery. Goal was 7:05 pace. I ran them all between 6:45-6:51 pace. Oops. It felt decent though and I settled into that pace easily so I just went with it

I'm already at more miles than I ran all of October 

From the Internet.

Lol just when I thought I had settled on attire for Thursday I checked the forecast again - 17F with 20 mph winds  I think I might err on the side of being too warm. Gloves and hat for sure, club singlet is a definite, just have to decide on capris or shorts and arm warmers or LS under singlet. And of course the extra layers on top to warm up.

KCRuns

Do y'all remember the Winter Running Game from RWOL where you got points for running all winter based on the temps?  Does anyone here do something like that?

workinprogress11

I'm the opposite, I think I'd rather be warmer than be freezing.

So interesting hearing that you guys would wear shorts. For me that would be tights weather for sure, probs plus a long sleeved shirt + gloves. And maybe even a vest. Jeez. I'm a wimp. 

I have taken a few USRD. My hubby wins husband of the year award...he flew in my best friend for my birthday and planned a huge surprise party, including tons of old friends I haven't seen in decades. Anyway, we had house guests so I did sneak away for a short run on Sat, but skipped yesterday's.

Happy birthday and good job, hubby!

DavePNW

Do y'all remember the Winter Running Game from RWOL where you got points for running all winter based on the temps?  Does anyone here do something like that?

No but there used to be a "More Miles Than Degrees" thread here, where people would post when they did that. No running totals or anything, but points were based on difference between miles run and temp (deg F) at start of run. I think my record was 13 (18 miles at 5 degrees).

Dave

DavePNW

I have a bag of winter running clothes from when I lived in CT >8 years ago. That was before having a child so guaranteed nothing fits even though I'm still the same weight.

Did not know you were a former Nutmegger. Where did you live?

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

Still at work, but I kind of feel like I am not allowed to complain about it yet.  We're at 10 hours now but I think complaining requires at least a 12 hour work day.

<3