Beginners and Beyond

Choosing a 10K goal (Read 50 times)

onemile

Erm... because the last time I was headed to a PR and tried semi-aggressively I wound up with 48:02? 

Fine. Just easy jog it to a sub-45.

bluerun

Super B****

Wait, I forgot these (the Skechers)!  I wore those for my 5K PR, but they might be too big.

If the wind isn't too bad, I'm hoping that I'll be able to lock into my pace from the first mile.  Which won't happen if I choose something too aggressive!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

If the wind isn't too bad, I'm hoping that I'll be able to lock into my pace from the first mile.  Which won't happen if I choose something too aggressive!

Just keep in mind some of the people telling you to be very aggressive are those who won't actually run 10k's themselves. 

Dave

onemile

Just keep in mind some of the people telling you to be very aggressive are those who won't actually run 10k's themselves. 

+1

onemile

I have run a few 8ks though, which I imagine to be pretty close!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have run a few 8ks though, which I imagine to be pretty close!

2Ks, pfffttt. That is nothing.

Damaris

LRB

I actually include 10k's in my season schedule. It's the perfect distance to aid your performance in nearly all other distances.

I have run a grand total of one 10K. So my advice is suspect. But this hand-wringing over goal pace is wasted energy. So I will give advice anyway.

Choosing a goal is no way to approach a race, because inevitably you will choose poorly (or rather, your choice will be wrong). You know what a 5k effort feels like. Do not run at a 5k effort. Run slower than that. You probably also know what a half effort feels like. Run faster than that. I can almost guarantee that if you say “I’m going to run 7:08s” you won’t. Because you can’t. You are not dialed in enough to be able to do that (choose a pace and run it). And if you were, it’s probably either too fast or too slow. Trust yourself and just run as fast as you think you can for 6ish miles. Turn off your brain. Running is not an intellectual pursuit. You can dial in to your ideal 10k pace by just running. Your watch won’t tell you. Your body will tell you. It will say “this is 10k pace today”. And you can lock in that way. And then keep reassessing. This is too fast. Slow down. This is too slow. Speed up. You don’t need a watch or a goal time to tell you that.

You are going to finish in 45:08 by the way. Now you know.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  LRB

You are going to finish in 45:08 by the way. Now you know.

I'll see your 45:08, and raise you (actually lower you) 7 seconds. Because a 45:01 would drive her absolutely insane to no end.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I'll see your 45:08, and raise you (actually lower you) 7 seconds. Because a 45:01 would drive her absolutely insane to no end.

Hahahah.

oh and agree 10k is definitely its own race!  And agree with Ntown .

Ran a TT 5k last night at 7pm... 100F it sucked .  Much like a 10k.

Embrace the suck and kick its ass.

DavePNW

Choosing a goal is no way to approach a race, because inevitably you will choose poorly (or rather, your choice will be wrong). You know what a 5k effort feels like. Do not run at a 5k effort. Run slower than that. You probably also know what a half effort feels like. Run faster than that. I can almost guarantee that if you say “I’m going to run 7:08s” you won’t. Because you can’t. You are not dialed in enough to be able to do that (choose a pace and run it). And if you were, it’s probably either too fast or too slow. Trust yourself and just run as fast as you think you can for 6ish miles. Turn off your brain. Running is not an intellectual pursuit. You can dial in to your ideal 10k pace by just running. Your watch won’t tell you. Your body will tell you. It will say “this is 10k pace today”. And you can lock in that way. And then keep reassessing. This is too fast. Slow down. This is too slow. Speed up. You don’t need a watch or a goal time to tell you that.

You are a very experienced runner/racer; I am not, and I don't think this works for me. I agree with the part in bold; if there's one thing I have learned, it's that the brain is the runner's worst enemy. But I think it's my brain, not my body, that is telling me I'm going too fast or too slow. It likes my body to be comfortable; I think the goal of training is to train your body to live in discomfort and ignore your brain.

Anyway, diff'rent strokes, and this may be good advice for a lot of people. Maybe I just need more experience to be better at running by feel. In the mean time, I try to make my body pay more attention to my watch than my brain.

Dave

LRB

Which means, my pace differential between 5k and 10k  *provided* similar performance levels/ weather etc...  is around 8-11 seconds.

IE: fast enough to suck! nearly as bad for 2x as long...

An 8 to 11 second gap per mile between the two distances gets an A+ grade, pretty much at any level!

At my peak last year, 18 seconds per mile separated my 5k and 10k PB's. There was a mile or two during my 10k that I got as close as 5 seconds to my slowest PB 5k mile, but I was not able to hold that over 10 kilometers.

My 5k was run in about 40 degrees, the 10k was in about 57 or whatever it was, so that might have been the reason I was not able to push it a bit more but Lord knows I tried!

I think I stated in my 10k race report that around mile 4, I just wished a car would have hit me and ended my misery. lol

LRB

An 8 to 11 second gap per mile between the two distances gets an A+ grade, pretty much at any level!

Okay, so here is earth shattering news sure to surprise no one here; I'm an idiot. 

Less than 5 seconds per mile separate Galen Rupp's 5 and 10k best times this year; 13:51, 28:11.

In my defense, I did say pretty much at any level. 

DavePNW

Okay, so here is earth shattering news sure to surprise no one here; I'm an idiot. 

Less than 5 seconds per mile separate Galen Rupp's 5 and 10k best times this year; 13:51, 28:11.

In my defense, I did say pretty much at any level. 

Note to self: I am not Galen Rupp. 

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

You're mean.  

I need SOME sort of guideline... or I go out way too fast and die.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog