Beginners and Beyond

Mo sun, Mo heat, MonDAILIES (Read 47 times)

LRB

Honestly, how many weeks do you really need for MRT? I had 18 weeks planned but it has been tough and I am only 2 weeks into it 

Need? That's loaded question. My marathon mileage increase begins 12 weeks out, which works perfectly for the type of person I am (ADHD) and the type of runner I am (fragile).

I just do not want to be mentally burdened with anything longer than that but that is just me. I have always maintained though that if you run marathons, you are always in-training, just not officially.

MTA: 18 weeks of MRT and high mileage would break me into a million gazillion pieces. lol

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Need? That's loaded question. My marathon mileage increase begins 12 weeks out, which works perfectly for the type of person I am (ADHD) and the type of runner I am (fragile).

I just do not want to be mentally burdened with anything longer than that but that is just me. I have always maintained though that if you run marathons, you are always in-training, just not officially.

MTA: 18 weeks of MRT and high mileage would break me into a million gazillion pieces. lol

Last summer I think I did 19 (?), I mainly made it that way to prepare for any missed or messed up plans or change of schedules, you know... having a toddler and working for the hubs. I think for me 12 weeks would feel extremely rushed and I'd feel pressured to stick to the schedule even if my body is screaming for a couple days off, then leading to injury. Honestly I probably shouldn't be too worried since I am still 16 weeks out, I just need a couple 20 milers and a few 18 milers to feel comfortable and ready to give the marathon my best.

I was hoping to hit closer to 60 mpw  near peak this training cycle but I seriously doubt that will happen for me. ...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

Honestly, how many weeks do you really need for MRT? I had 18 weeks planned but it has been tough and I am only 2 weeks into it 

If you have an okay base I think 12 is fine. Or at least that is my hope and plan.

Cyberic

MRT in the heat sucks. Every single week sucks.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Personally, I don't like my base  though to be honest I think I could do it on 12 weeks, but I would be worrying every freaking day or week that something is going to go wrong and screw up my training plan and that would just drive me freaking crazy 

I mean, 12 weeks is still 4 weeks away. Other than last week's struggle due to worrying over the business crap and the heat and lack of sleep, I only got 27 miles (I said fuck my LR yesterday morning     ) but the week before that I got 44.something miles. If I can get my ass in gear or on track and stay around 40-45 mpw over the next 4 weeks I think that would be a good/great goal and then get real serious for the final 12 weeks.

I hate the freaking heat!! I hate anything above 85 degrees and sunny, that damn ball of fire up in the sky is the biggest issue for me, I can just barely tolerate the humidity but when that sun is out I am ready to murder people.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If you have an okay base I think 12 is fine. Or at least that is my hope and plan.

IMO, you need a good base.  Onemile has a good base, so she should stop worrying.

15 weeks might be a good in between for you, Andrea.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have not even started my MRT for Chicago! 

Damaris

Can't you just set it at 74 year round?

74 in the winter would be a DREAM.  My thermostat is set at 61, maybe 63 on Christmas.  I think the last time it kicked on in the early morning was June, FFS.  There's no need for AC at home, ever.  Cool hilltop breezes and ginormous sun-blocking pines are my AC.

5.1 recovery.

The same can be said for 4-wheel drive in the Midwest.

My snow tires have stayed for two summers now, because why bother going to get them changed out for 3 months? 

LRB

IMO, you need a good base.  Onemile has a good base, so she should stop worrying.

Should I make it to day one of MRT, it will be with a base that is not ideal. That said, I have run a marathon on much less, so the hope is to continue to build towards my peak week. Whereas ideally, I would have run something near my peak mileage already this year. And I actually sorta kinda did, albeit months ago.

Half Crazy K 2.0

A little over 5 miles. 20x 1 minute hard, 1 minute recover. Another evening of listening to cicada love.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

15 weeks might be a good in between for you, Andrea.

15 weeks sound good to me Smile

PRs

Little Blue

74 in the winter would be a DREAM.  My thermostat is set at 61, maybe 63 on Christmas.  I think the last time it kicked on in the early morning was June, FFS.  There's no need for AC at home, ever.  Cool hilltop breezes and ginormous sun-blocking pines are my AC.

5.1 recovery.

Here too.  We heat with a wood stove, so if we're at 65, it's a comfy day.  I go into apartments where they're running (literally) 80 degrees, and I smother.  And they complain about their power bills.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Jay & Little Blue. I think we put ours down to 64 in the winter. I am always cold, unless I go into the basement when DH is running the fireplace.

DavePNW

Should I make it to day one of MRT, it will be with a base that is not ideal. That said, I have run a marathon on much less, so the hope is to continue to build towards my peak week. Whereas ideally, I would have run something near my peak mileage already this year. And I actually sorta kinda did, albeit months ago.

Ha. Using the least I have ever run a marathon on as a benchmark would make my life a whole lot easier. Until race day of course. 

Dave