Beginners and Beyond

IMS 5K RR, sub-20, PR, AG, you name it, it's in here! :) (Read 116 times)

Great time, you are fast.

Rondog65

Great race, incredible all around.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Hip Redux

A year in and a sub-20?  Kick ass, D2!

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Pink! I'm not sure if I'll be able to beat it over the summer, but I'll try!

Thanks Mitch! The mental game is tough, that's for sure, even when I know that my legs have yet to fail me. But that's just part of the training, gotta keep working at it.

Thanks Damaris! I couldn't be happier with my progress so far, definitely looking forward to the next year, and beyond!

Thanks Jack! I can't tell you how happy I was to see a big old 19 on the clock as I came through the finish.

Thanks PF! Smile

Thanks Phil! I'm looking forward to getting some more of that speed to the pavement, it's like a drug, can never get enough. lol

Thanks Ami! There's a chance I may be a little too critical of myself. lol At least that's what my wife tells me.

Thanks MJ! I'm looking forward to mixing in some speedwork and seeing what happens. Altho, my speedwork is going to come in the form of tempos and intervals for marathon prep, but I think it'll still help.

Thanks Beth! Should be interesting. I found out that the guy who took 1st with a 19:04 is in my club and in the Grand Prix series! Which means I'm going to have to beat him in some races if I want to get any points. lol Time to get to work. Smile

Thanks LRB! Definitely still need to work on not going out too fast, altho I did rein it in quicker than I have in previous races, so that's good. It's definitely a tough distance to pace properly.

Thanks lily! Smile

Thanks April! I figured I would be pretty solid for a sub-20, but it's great to actually see it on the clock.

Thanks Cherie! I would agree that my results seem to be atypical, but I think everyone has great potential if they push themselves. Smile

Thanks irishguy!

Thanks Rondog!

Thanks Oski! I'm still kind of in shock at what I've been able to do in a year, never even dreamed that I'd have any kind of speed, or endurance. When I started running I figured it would help me lose some weight and it would be like when I ran in the Navy, I'd max out at 3-4 slow miles and it would just suck all the time.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Love the Half

Very nice.  Getting that first sub 20:00 is sweet.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

workinprogress11

You have some amazing talent and have put in some great work during your first year.  I can't wait to see how far you can go.  Congratulations on a great race!

Not bad for an old man.......seriously great job Dave. I think it's so cool that guys your age and older are so fast. I was checking the 5k results of the Illinois marathon 5k earlier. A 43 year guy won the thing in 15:55.  Youre going to do great things in the future!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

baxdaddy

just another runner

Awesome sir!

The first step is to get up off the couch!

Half Fanatic #889

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Brad!  It definitely is, I'll remember this one for a while.  Smile

Thanks workinprogress!  I'm absolutely looking forward to the next few years and seeing just how far I can go.

Thanks Sparker!  My wife likes to call me the fastest old guy in Chesapeake. lol  The OA winner today was 31yo and ran a 16:32, 2nd place was 40yo and ran a 16:52, great stuff.

Thanks baxdaddy!

-Dave

My running blog

Great race! The best is yet to come.....

Zelanie

Sounds like you've got some new rivals to chase now! Wink

Congrats on blasting through that sub-20 barrier!  Did you wear the new shoes?

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Fuzzy!  I agree, and can't wait!

Thanks Zel!  I think having some competition will be a good motivator.  I did, they were great!  Looking forward to rocking them again at my 10k next month. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Zelanie

Go get 'em!  Pretty soon they will have to be bragging that they once finished in front of you!

Supersono99

Congrats on a great race! Loat with your wife telling you to suck it up, essentially.

No more marathons

Hey - said it first.

Check it out here - pg 4.  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/7309e2ecf1834daba425fc086715db9d/3

Nice run.  Get the focus for the whole 3 and you go sub 19.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!