Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: June 22 to 28 (Read 372 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi Goddess9! Some more ideas to take advantage of your enthusiasm. Cross-train or do something else on those off days. I have two dogs to walk, so we do long hikes in the park on days off. Or I cut the lawn/do yardwork. You could also try swimming. Or weight training. Or something fun that you've always wanted to do but didn't have an hour set aside for. The other thing that I do is cook really awesome, healthy dinners. On my off days, I have more time, so I pick a new or special recipe and make it on those days. It's something that I'm learning and getting better at and it contributes to my overall goal (better health) and keeps me busy on those off days.
    Nice! I love the idea of cooking an awesome, healthy dinner on off days. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Wingz hit it! Those other four days of the week are for non-running. If you want to exercise, do some cross training. Biking is great for the legs. Yoga is awesome for core strength. Walking gives you a good chance to get outside. You can do a lot of things in cross training that will feed your running habit. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I just got back from my run (w8r2). I had a really great run! It's 21*C with 64% humidity and 31kph wind and overcast. (That's 69*F, 19mph wind). Doesn't look great but it was perfect to run in. I had my longest run yet and my pace was really comfortable (yet still one of my fastest runs). And I could've run longer. It was one of those runs where I had a big smile on my face finishing. WohooO! Big grin I'm so not worried about going up to 30 minutes next week.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

w7 d2 completed. Managed to go just that little bit further. 2.15 miles instead of 2.1 in the 25 mins. Woo Hoo Achievement!!!! I love this thread, it's really good seeing how everyone is progressing and learning. Wingz, don't go anywhere! You are the all wise oracle. Keep going everyone.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Wingz, don't go anywhere! You are the all wise oracle.
            *snorts* I wish! If I were I wouldn't have been struggling with overuse injuries myself!!! If you want to know how to run faster other than just running more, I can't help you. If you want to understand intervals, I haven't got a clue. If you're trying to improve your lactate threshold, I'm gonna look at you and go "lactation what?" Tongue What I know is very simple: go slow. Don't increase both pace and distance at the same time. If it hurts, something's wrong. Fix it or you'll have a bigger problem. Enjoy yourself. That's pretty much it. Smile If you can repeat this sage advice you too can be the oracle of the C25K group. Big grin

GellaBella

Hey guys! So I've made it through W1D2. My 3mi run felt good...I was outside and it was nice and warm but not too hot and I was with my running partner and we were just chit chatting the whole way. My 1.5mi run was BORING. I was on a treadmill in a gym and while it didn't feel difficult at all, I was just counting down the time until I would be done. I'm hoping to do W1D3 tonight at a park next to my house, its supposed to be 3mi again but the humidity is killing me so I might switch it to another 1.5mi run depending on how I feel. Good job everyone! Keep up the good work!
                GellaBella: congratulations on your good run! It's so motivating to have days like that. I used to try to run on tredmills and always hated it becuase I would do the same thing you do and just count down the time. I love running outside and now I am dreading winter, even though thats a ways away, becuase I am going to have to run on a tredmill. We have about 1 month where the temps rarely reach above zero and I want to keep running. I don't want to start all over next spring!! I don't run well in the humidity either. I do best when it's 50 to 60 degrees and really foggy Big grin My run for W3 yesterday was tough beucase it was hot and humid and I already didn't feel that great to begin with but I made myself get out there and run becuase it's too hard to take too many days off. I'm going out of town again this weekend so I didn't want to miss any more days. I took it slow though and by the end I felt good. I felt refreshed. I am getting excited for week 4. I am also interested to see how I do this weekend when I run at my parents. The trail I'm planning on running is completely flat... but it's always hotter and more humid. So we shall see what happens.
                CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Mimi, where are you from? I'm worried about what the heck I'm going to do come winter. It gets very cold here (think -20 to -40*C temps) in the winter. I don't totally want to give up running outside, but we'll see.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

50 halfs by age 50

Woohoo! W5D3 all done! I did 5 min walking, then 20 min running, then a 5 min walking cooldown! Gella...I bribe myself to stay on the TM by reading novels. Only way I survive 'cause the TV thing doesn't cut it for me. Humidity is evil. Most of my runs are at 80% humidity. Just what it is in SW FL.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Cto5K, Week Four is done!! This weekend I have an agility trial with my dog, Katy (the one in my avatar). This will be our first trial since I started the Cto5k program. An agility trial day typically requires lots of waiting around broken up with five 40 second sprints! I think I'll feel a little bit better coming off the course since I've been running regularly. Will it help our overall performance? I hope so!
                      ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                      gwhutch

I have not posted my progress in a while, but I'm super excited to see so many new RUNNERS!!! Finished OHR w7d3 this morning. 45 minutes is L O O N N G G G G ! !

The young Mama Bear!

Thanks everyone! Big grin W2D2 e' finito! Surprisingly, it was really hard. The first day was fine by me, but today I REALLYYY had to slow down. I think a slug could have beaten me. And my knees are getting achy. Dead Is the second day of the week always harder? Good job, everyone! Keep it up. Smile
                          Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                          Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                          Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks everyone! Big grin W2D2 e' finito! Surprisingly, it was really hard. The first day was fine by me, but today I REALLYYY had to slow down. I think a slug could have beaten me. And my knees are getting achy. Dead Is the second day of the week always harder? Good job, everyone! Keep it up. Smile
                            "Achy" can mean a lot of different things. If it's really just minor "aches" try icing for 20 minutes after your runs (place a dish towel or something between ice and knees). Don't ice for more than 20 minutes at a time (has the opposite of desired effect) or without something between ice & legs (or you risk frostbite)! I've given myself frostbite before because I thought that was just a myth. It's true! Shocked And what's wrong with being passed by slugs? Wink

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

gw, I can't imagine running 45 minutes.....yet. Good stuff! Wink goddess, I have heard it takes 4 to 6 weeks for your joints to get used to the impact of running. This is partly why it's only 3 runs per week while you are getting used to it. It really will get easier. Your body will get used to it. Just keep getting out to run. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

theyapper

On the road again...

I started a new thread with the full recap of my first 5k, but I'll update here so you know that I finished Week 3 of the OHR. The 5k was my last run of the week. I'm excited about starting to add some time to the runs next week. Have a great week-end everybody!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul