Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread Aug 3 - Aug 9 (Read 564 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I started Week 2 yesterday, and all I can say is....my body continues to amaze me! I was so nervous about being able to run the 90 second intervals, and I did it just fine! Well, it was the perfect challenge level, not too hard, but definitely not easy! DO-ABLE is the word I guess! I feel like my form and breathing are starting to click pretty nicely - I'm not so awkward. I can't wait until tomorrow's workout. I have family vacation next week and I've got the action plan in place so I don't lose momentum! I'm very surprised at how I have adapted to this, even with 30 extra pounds on me - that I trust will now start to melt away ha ha. But mostly, it's the mental benefits that surprise me the most! I am already addicted to this sport and I've barely begun! Today I subscribed to RunnersWorld magazine. Big grin Ernsberger ~ I hope things get better for you very soon! Cheers all!
    Cyndi, I think this is why C25K is such a successful program for so many of us. It keeps you taking small steps and you get the confidence in yourself that you can do it. It only gets better! If you are using the log here on RA, use the notes section to note how you were feeling. It's so amazing to me to go back and see how I was feeling, what I was thinking, etc because I can really see how far I've come.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

theyapper

On the road again...

CyndiKo is ON FIRE!! You're doing great.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

W3D3 today. SO HUMID!! It was raining when we left then it stopped when we started running. Plus we haven't gone since Wednesday. Tongue
        Goals: Run.
          Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers! I do see light at the end of the tunnel. It is just far off in the distance Cry Anyways, I did W8D2 last night! It was awesome Big grin I ran very steady. Covered just over 2 miles in 28 minutes. Took it easy. Could have kept going even when time was up which I felt was a good sign. My 11 yr old son went with me, so his company was nice to have. So, I will finish up W8 tomorrow and start W9 on Friday. Hard to believe how far I've come! Cyndi: Congrats! You can do it! If I can do it, ANYONE CAN! Happy to hear everyone is doing so well. Keep up the good work Wink
          Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
            Just wanted to say my profile is finally added, and also invite anyone to visit my blog (see link in profile) Ernsberger ~ So glad to hear you got to run! I keep trying to get my 13 year old daughter to join me. She 'HATES' running, but is an aspiring softball player and I keep trying to convince her that running would make her a stronger player! To everyone ~ Especially those in weeks 6 - 9, I can't even imagine being at that point yet! I'm both nervous and excited to get there! And also, may I just say, this group is awesome...I think it's great that everyone cheers and encourages progress for all! Tonight I do W2 D2, and because of looming stormy weather, I suspect I will have my first run on the treadmill! I've really gotten hooked on being outside at the local high school track, so this will be a big difference all around. Have a great day all!
            Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
              Hey Cyndi - Great job on getting started on Cto5k. You'll be amazed at how quickly the weeks go by and how amazed you will be at your own progress. And - I'm a neighbor (sortof!). I'm in Brecksville. I just finished up Cto5k last week. I did the last few weeks on the Towpath which was nice. A bit softer than the concrete sidewalks in my neighborhood. I've been doing some trail runs as well. They are much slower, but so much prettier (and shadier). My update: I was out of town at the end of last week and on a very tight schedule, but I was committed to getting my graduation run finished. I ended up doing it on Friday evening (skipping out on a shopping trip to Cabela's). It was a decent run through downtown Dundee, MI. And I'm done! I finished. This is a major accomplishment for me. What's next. I'm going to build a plan based on a few published plans. I've got a 5k race scheduled for Sept. 7 and a 10k, tentatively planned for October 12. My basic plan is simply to gradually build mileage. Yesterday I did a 2 mile run with my dog. It was fun to do a shorter run and feel the freedom to go a little bit faster. Overall, the run was still fairly slow, but due to the elevation and out and back nature of my run, the second half of my run was 1:15 faster than the first half. So that felt really great.
              ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                Ran W4D1 of C25K with Copper this morning. It's just so humid and we're both pretty exhausted after the run, but it's a good feeling. I think we'll be more comfortable running in the sprinkler this afternoon. Smile
                  My body continues to disappoint me! I have moved on from C25k and on to some kind of intermediate 10k training schedule. It is based off of distance, not time, because I am so slow. I run 3 miles now and it takes me almost 40 minutes. My last 3 mile run was 35 minutes I think, but that was a little faster than I'm comfortable with. Anyway, I'm not too concerned with speed, just distance. The problem is my body keeps complaining. I had to take a month off because I injured my knee during C25k, and now my other leg is starting to hurt. Not only does it hurt around my knee a little bit, but my hip is starting to bother me. I know I need to take it easy or I will be sidelined for another month, so last night I had planned on running 3 miles and only did a little over 1 mile. I'm just disappointed that I have to go so slow because of my body when mentally I'm ready to push ahead. This old age stuff is for the birds!
                    All4-I hear ya big time. Unfortunately I haven't managed to graduate yet, but I too have been plagued by injuries/pain lately and it's frustrating the hell out of me! I was benched early in C25K with knee problems, then I got through those, got through the difficult-for-me transition from intervals to straight running, got within sight of the end (have completed thru W8D3, only three little runs left to go)....and now I'm having some fairly major issues with posterior shin splints. ARGH!! Oh yeah, and my husband and I were cutting down some trees this weekend and I wrenched my back too. No I feel very defeated. But I am bound and determined to get through this, even if it means waiting a month until I can get the custom orthotics that should help with the shin splints. In the meantime I'm finding it hard to get to the gym because I get frustrated that I can't jump on the treadmill. It's funny, I have never thought I was addicted to running until now I can't do it. Good luck with your post-C25K runs. comccabe-re the HR max, the 220-age formula is not terribly accurate. I have hit or surpassed my "max" many times in the past. I am kind of curious what my true max is, but don't want to bother with getting it checked out. Meewolfie-Woohoo! Congrats on finishing! I'm so jealous... Big grin
                    2009 Goals:
                    PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                    Run a 10K
                    Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                    Complete my first Sprint Tri
                    erendis

I just ran 3.4 miles in 30 minutes! That's a 8:50/mile pace and would translate into a 27:27 5k. Woo hoo!
                      holy smokes!! that's awesome!
                      I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso

The young Mama Bear!

Hey guys! You are looking at a chick that just jogged 30:29 for W8D2. Never in my life did I expect to jog that long, and the only reason I went over was because I moved back to the streets instead of the park and didn't want to stop before I got to the 2.25 mile mark. I'm a slowpoke, but a proud slowpoke. Big grin Owen, I think that heartrate is personal. I can technically go up to 201, but I get stuffed around 185. Once my HR went up to 200 and I believe I remember wanting to die LMAO. Don't go on the formula like Jenner said...if you feel like your heart is going to explode, then you stop. If not, keep going. Listen to your body. CyndiKo, I was so amazed at everyone in W4 and beyond...but you'll be talking about W5D3 in no time. You'll absolutely kill it - I just know it! Meewolfie, CONGRATS!!!! I've got you stamped on the Graduates list. I'm so proud! (And btw, your German Shepherd is GORGEOUS and I've always dreamt of getting one! How are they?) Chup, YAY! all4 and Jenner, you guys just need to see the bigger picture here. I know sometimes I feel ungrateful about not being able to finish a jog with ease, but you both have come SO far. That's all that matters, really. Smile Okay, this is getting really long...if I missed anyone that was not my intention! I'm so glad to have found a bunch of runners doing the same thing I am, and I love hearing everyone's triumphs! Yes
                        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                          CyndiKo - Welcom!! I am in the same position you are. I have never ever been a runner either. I have repeated every week at least once just becuase I don't want to move to fast. I am still in disbelief that I can run period so I am always surprised/happy when I have a good day. I haven't been able to visit the forum or even run as often as I would have liked lately. I have been planning my brother's wedding, been in a wedding, planning several showers and bachelorette parties. This summer is way too busy!! Now that I finally finished getting my brother's invitations done and mailed out I could get focused again. I started week 5 this week and it felt great. I did one day outside and I repeated Day 1 at home on our new tredmill. It was super hot (for us) so I ran in the grage where it was cooler, with a fan. I haven't run on a tredmill yet so it was interesting. Not as interesting, but I liked being able to see what my pace was and I liked being able to push myself a little by picking up the pace throughout the intervals. I really can't wait to start to do Day 2 of week 5 now. I really think I can do it and feel good about it.
                          zzz

hey everyone.... i just wanted to let you know that I am still here.... have ya missed me? I am still running and staying a holding pattern through week 5 until I can finish it with Lauri.... she's had strep throat and pnuemonia and now both her babies have strep and have been down for 2 days with 102+ fevers.... so not fun for her.... please don't count me out or forget about me... i am not slinking off quietly.... still running and loving it.... as much as I'd love to move that bar up to week 5 I just can't till I get Lauri through it too... Everyone is doing so great and it's so awesome and encouraging to see everyone progressing!! We've also been busy with Ricky's football practice and I sing at church so I've had vocal team practices too so my nights are long and I haven't had a chance to respond to everyone's great news. I feel bad. Undecided goddess I'll let you know when I get done with week 5 so I can get another color!! great job on the chart it looks great!!!
                            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Aw, poor Lauri. That's rough. I hope her house gets a clean bill of health soon. That's awesome that you are running, but holding in the training program for her.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Just venting... ahhh! I really wanted to go out today but my mom didn't. She said it was too hot Roll eyes It w as only like 85ish. It's definately hard to plan runs around two schedules. I wish I could just go alone. Everytime we run she complains. She says "why do we have to go so far? can't we do the last week again? How come we only go three days a week? Then she tells everyone she meets that I'm training her for a race, like I'm some sort of trainer or something Confused Then she tells me she doesn't want to do the race. Confused Confused
                                Goals: Run.