Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread 5/11-17 (Read 313 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

obiebyke - You'll probably find your running speed goes up and down based off a large number of things, from the weather, to having a cold, to adapting to more distace, to just the level of life-stress you have going on. I know my pace varies a lot, and the longer I run, the slower I am. You may be, incidentally, running your training runs too fast. Take a look over at the world-famous McMillan Running Calculator. When I plug in your 5K time of 35:17, it suggests an "easy" pace for you of 13:38 - 14:08. Now, granted that in the last six weeks you have probably continued to improve your speed since new runners typically do so quickly. However, you're saying that your training runs are going between 12- 12:30. Translation: you probably need to slow down even more in order to get the most benefit from your training. Working at too hard of a pace in the stage you're at leads to 1)injury, 2)burnout, and 3) less gain. I recently took a big chunk off my 5K PR, bringing it down to 32:15. McMillan says I should be doing my easy runs in the 13-13:30 range. Actually, I can't train that fast largely because of the hills around home. But see, training at that slower level does NOT mean that my race time is slower, only that I'm improving my aerobic fitness more efficiently. And no, you may not PR in every race. And yes, that is okay. I started out a lot slower than you are now. In fact, I'd been running over a year by the time I reached the pace you had on your first 5K! (I hope everyone here knows by now I'm not a very talented runner!!!) My first races were all PR's because I started out in such rough shape that ANY amount of training would make me faster. You're not in as bad of shape to start, so you might not PR every single time. But I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Slow down your runs until you're going at a pace you'd have no trouble carrying on an in-depth conversation with someone. (But not slow enough to sing comfortably!) Keep up the consistency with your training. Train easy. Race hard. You'll probably surprise yourself! Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

Wingz

Professional Noob

First the Health and Nutrition community, and now you guys? I have to get new shoes? Poo!
      It's a conspiracy... you should really be running barefoot with the gazelles... Evil grin (Just kidding.)
      So--break in the orthotics in the new shoes, or are the orthotics already broken in? What's the consensus?
      I have no idea. Can't help you there. Might want to shoot that back over to Health and Nutrition...

obiebyke

Thanks, Wingz. Really really helpful. What a great 5k time! So how do you know how hard to push on race day if you usually run more slowly? MTA: My conclusion is that I need to do a heart rate test and use my monitor and make sure I'm staying aerobic. As long as I have a forerunner 305, might as well use it instead of Macmillan. Hurray for zones. I'll take a look at Motionbased.com at some point and see where my zones have been thus far--probably too high, I'm guessing.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

So I'm new to running, but have dealt w/ orthotics for a long time, personally and professionally. My rigid ones have lasted over 10 years. I just had them checked by my podiatrist to rule them out as a contributor to a back issue I have, and they are still in great shape. The "breaking in" of the orthotic is more about your body adapting to the new biomechanics of your foot--and therefore leg, hip, back, and everything else--landing on the ground in a new way. That said, adding a new element to the picture, such as new or even just different shoes, also impacts this chain of events, so proceed slowly and gently. One of the things I find fascinating about the human body is how changing mechanics on one part can make a big impact on another. It sounds like you may have started to see this in action by changing the side of the street that you are running on... You are on week 7--have you been wearing them for your running so far? My best advice: Listen to your body and be kind to it. Muscle achy-ness and mild soreness is one thing; point tenderness and pain that interferes with daily non-athletic function is something completely different. Standard disclaimer--check w/ your dr if you have any questions. Smile
          MoonStar

Thought I was going to be able to bag W6d3 - and would have if I hadn't been trying to multitask. I had decided to make it a shorter 2.5 minute warm up and cool down and run on the treadmill at the gym during my daughters swim class. The class got out early so I had to jump off 7 minutes before I was planning on being done the whole thing. Good thing is that I felt totally like I was going to be able to do the whole long run. So, I guess I'll try it again on Thursday afterwork - without the kid thing. It was really funny how aggravated I was at having to stop early. A year ago I would have laughed myself silly if you had suggested I would be upset at having to stop running after 1.7 miles. Clowning around
            colinw

Hoping I can get some encouragement and advice, guys. I'm starting to worry about my June 1st 5k-- my second. I've been doing OHR and am up to a long run of 42 minutes/3.43 miles. My first 5k, 6wks ago, was a 35:17, which is an 11:22 pace. I'd like to PR this second one, but my training runs have slowed to 12-12:30 minutes/mile. I know part of it is adding distance, but I'm running even my 30 minute recovery runs at that speed. I'm trying to tell myself it's ok not to PR at every race, but I know I'll be disappointed if I don't PR this one. Am I doing anything wrong, or is this just a case of endurance training causing/necessitating a slowdown? Thanks for any input.
              I have my first 5k coming up in the middle of June, and I wam trying to figure out what to do as well - keep on going farther and longer with the OHR or try to increase speed for the 5k, by running only 5k but doing it at a quicker pace every time. I think it still makes sense to do the OHR program with one long run per week and on the short 5k runs just try to notch it up a bit and go faster. Start by doing your own little intervals - run at your normal pace for 5 minutes, then speed up for 3 minutes, then normal for 5 and so on. That will increase your time and get you used to running faster. It is kind of like a mini version of the C25K and that seemed to work, so maybe this will too! Let me know how you make out. I am doing the same type of thing and getting decent results, although I am not really concerned with speed. I started running to lose weight, and there is absolutely no threat of me winning any races, so I honestly don't cae how fast I am going!

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

OHR W5D2 done!! woohoo!!
                2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year
                obiebyke

Nice job, eyedocguy! Way to get back into it. colinw, I'll for sure let you know how it goes. Wingz was SO helpful, and I'm going to redesign the way I run by using my Garmin and some heart rate zone stuff. I'm psyched to have a new geeky running project. I'll want to know how your race goes, too! Promise? Moonstar--way to get a run in. That's the most important thing. Maybe next time you could just strap the kid to a railing and finish your run? Wink

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Puffer, not huffer

W8 D1 finished--but sorta failed. It was SO humid here in Portland--we're about to start a big old heat wave, and I was NOT prepared for walking out into moisture-filled air this afternoon, much less running in it. I pooped out in the middle of my run, took a one-block walk break, then managed to finish it, but geez...poor showing! Oh well--it's my first non-prescribed walk break I've had to take in the C25K. Such things happen. I won't let it get me down. Laine's fascinating shin update: feeling okay during my run today. I'm still going to the running store on Friday, though. Thanks for all the orthotic advice--I've been wearing these since I started this round of C25K, so hopefully they'll last me a few more years. Judging from everyone else's experiences with them, they DO last a long time! So rare to find things that give you bang for the buck these days. Happy trails everyone! Keep hydrated! -L (who's drinking a massive glass of Gatorade in addition to her water)
                    jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

obiebyke - my guess is that since you are going longer you are slowing down. I also think when you get the adrenaline running on race day your biggest problem will be not starting out too fast. I'm no expert, but I would continue training with the longer runs to prepare for face day. Then pace yourself - its better to go out easy and speed up at the end if you have it in you. I'm sure you'll do great. But, in the event you don't PR - remember that a few months ago you couldn't even run a 5K. You are doing great. Don't let the numbers get you down. MoonStar - you are doing great. Don't stress over it when life gets in the way. You should be able to finish it the next time. eyedoc - great job getting back out there! Are you running with the puppy? My body is telling me it needs another rest day, so I decided to listen . . . hopefully I'll get a run in tomorrow.
                      kiwirunning

C25K W4D2 - Man I'm feeling completely uncommitted in comparison to you guys.... You're all planning to run races by the sounds of things.... I just want to be able to run.... I'm trying to maintain my fitness level for my "other sport".... BTW - thanks for the reminder on the water side of things Laine.... I keep filling up the drink bottle and then it sits there on my desk calling my name but I don't seem to hear it.... Roll eyes
                        jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Welcome! What's your other sport? You aren't the only one not racing. I'm doing this just for me - I'm not into the races either.

running buddies

Hi all - I'm looking for some encouragement. I'm on W6D1 today, and went out with the dogs with no motivation at all. We run trails in the woods by my house, so the dogs are off leash. One rolled in something smelly, and that was all I needed as an excuse to put him back on the leash, cut the run off after 3-4 minutes and take a short-cut home (and give him a bath). The dogs usually are inspiring, today they were just on my nerves. Last week, W5D2 (8 minute run, 5min walk, 8 minute run) felt so good and I thought "hey, I can do this", then the 20 minute straight run the next time felt so bad despite running really really slowly ... Has anyone else made it this far and then just lost motivation? Seems like this is the part of the program when most of you started feeling better, and I'm just... blah. Thanks for listening. I'll probably be able to flog myself into going again tomorrow (I'm a recovering Type A), but I'd sure like to have a better outlook on it.
                            "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                            jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

runswithdogs - It took me a couple of tries before I got through the 20 minute run the first time I did the program. Once I did that 20 minutes for the first time, I realized I'd be able to finish the program. Much of this is mental - you need to convince yourself you can do it while the voices keep saying you should quit. The support I received from one of these forums helped a lot. Make sure you are going at a slow enough pace - you should be able to carry on a conversation while you are running. Keep at it and post often. We will help you through. You can do it if you really want to.
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

runswithdogs - I don't think there is a runner out there who has never had a few days when things didn't go well or they just plain old didn't feel like running. What makes you a runner, though, is recognizing that while those days happen, there are also good ones and overall it's worthwhile. What makes you a runner is saying, "Yes, that run wasn't as much fun as I'd hoped. But I'm still a runner." Going out and doing that next run defines you as a runner. Do it. Smile You may want to redo week 5, as it's generally suggested that you not progress until you can do a week comfortably. The goal here is to adapt gradually and to learn to love running, not to push yourself as hard as humanly possible.