Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

counting/not counting walk miles (Read 420 times)

obiebyke

Hey, The time/distance thread got me thinking. Actually, I've been thinking about this for a while, and have expressed a bit of my worry about it, but thought I'd start a thread. Do you folks count your warmup/cooldown walks towards your miles and time? Or do you start the clock/odometer when the first run starts? I've been including all the walking, and it's inflating my time and miles run, but deflating my pace.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

My running partner!

no, I don't count my warm up or cool down in my running log, nor do I calculate my miles per hour including the walking time.
      Kat
      obiebyke

Dang. Maybe, since I use a treadmill and know what my walking pace is, I'll try at least taking off the 10 minutes total warmup and cooldown. That still leaves the walks in between runs, but that's how I was calculating before C25K anyway, so that won't skew anything. Anyone else?

quagga

I include it because it's too hard not to include it (for me, anyway) -- I run on a treadmill, so I'd have to note the miles at the start and stop of the warmup/cooldown. So, yeah, my times/miles are both inflated. I walk at 4mph and I run at 5mph, and on a half-hour workout where it's one long run (Week 7-9), I don't think it makes huge difference. I received a Garmin as a Christmas present, so I'm looking forward to playing with its lap features so I can log only the run part. MTA: Of course, using the Garmin means getting outside and off the treadmill.
          obiebyke

I walk at 4 mph and run at 5.4 mph (kicking it up a little at the end of my last run), so to make it a little more accurate, I'm just going to start taking out 2/3 mile and 10 minutes (2 5-minute walks at 4mph) from my treadmill numbers. That makes it closer, at least. If my math is off, please tell me. I think it's okay, but sometimes I confuse myself. I was an English major! Blush

quagga

Yesterday I took note of the mileage at the end of my warmup - 0.32miles. So that means that I am walking ~0.64 miles at the beginning and end of the workout. 3.0 miles total workout - 38 minutes subtracting out - 0.64 miles and 10 minutes leaves 2.36 miles in 28 minutes
              obiebyke

Great, Quagga! That's a lot of working out.

I'm just starting the C25K tonight after work. (I've been peddling up a storm on my stationary bike to get my lungs in better shape - I'm a former smoker and now proudly a NON smoker!! Big grin) Can I be ready, following the program, to do a 5k on May 3? I'm ready to run and can't wait to get to the track tonight. I wonder if anyone else has done the program and if they think this goal is possible. Thanks a million! Lynne =-)
                  obiebyke

May 3rd is completely doable! It's a nine week program, and you have 14 weeks until race time, so you can repeat some weeks and/or even work on speed a little before the race. Go for it! And if you're not they're already, you should join the ex-smokers group. The link is in my sig. Give us a report on how W1D1 goes tonight.

Thanks! I decided to map a route of 5k today and walk it quickly at my lunch hour. I really wanted to know if I can even go that distance!! My time was 51:22. Not that fast, although my heart got a great workout! I'll let you know how this goes - I'm feeling better having heard from you and also walking that distance today. Now to walk/jog! =-) Thanks so much! Lynne =-) Smile
                      quagga

That's the spirit Lynneann! Good luck! I also think that a May 3 5K is totally doable for you. But what do I know, I'm a newbie runner! Tongue And congrats on giving up smoking -- what a gift to have given yourself and your loved ones!
                        keepgoing

I'm just starting the C25K tonight after work. (I've been peddling up a storm on my stationary bike to get my lungs in better shape - I'm a former smoker and now proudly a NON smoker!! Big grin) Can I be ready, following the program, to do a 5k on May 3? I'm ready to run and can't wait to get to the track tonight. I wonder if anyone else has done the program and if they think this goal is possible. Thanks a million! Lynne =-)
                          Hi Lynne, I just finished the program and it took me 11 weeks instead of the 9 because I got sick. I think you can definitely be ready for a 5k on May 3! I am looking for a 5k race now to register for and in the beginning I never thought I could do it. I was never a distance runner and haven't run in about 25 years!!! This program was wonderful and I learned how to pace myself and go slow if I needed to. I am a slow runner but I can complete 3 miles. Next week I'm going to try for 3.25 miles. Each week of the program that I finished gave me more and more confidence. The biggest lesson I had to learn was not to worry about how slow I was running, that speed would eventually come when my body got used to running. Good luck - you can do this!!! Claire
                            I've been counting my warm up and cool down because I'm on a treadmill, too, and it's just something else to have to figure up/ do extra. I knew I was slow, but man, I had no idea how slow till I read this thread. I really pushed it today with pace on week 7, warming up walk at 3.2 MPH and running at 4.0 MPH and cool down walk just at 3.0 MPH. I'm 36, 5'3", 140 lbs, have had 2 kids and have high blood pressure (family curse - both sides Sad) I'm feeling very....discouraged. I was never athletic - were y'all? Is that the difference? Or are y'all younger with no kiddies?? Confused
                            Life is Good :D http://ttjk.wordpress.com Couch to 5K support group // Back of The Packers group
                            Wingz

Professional Noob

Tracey - You'll find all speeds here at RA. Right now I'm comfortable with the TM at 4.6, but two years ago 3.7 was a HUGE workout... and I was more comfortable around 3.2. So... don't fret the numbers. You're doing the right thing now... you're RUNNING! To hell with speed, girl, you're RUNNING! You go, girl!!! Big grin PS - If you're looking for other "turtles" (no offense. Wink ), come join us at the Back of the Packers group. Some of them are (in MY opinion) too fast to be in there, but the majority are our speed. Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

quagga

Wingz is right -- it seems that there are all speeds around here. Any movement at any speed is better than no movement! I say you need to be extra gentle with yourself with respect to your running -- be more gentle with yourself than you are with anyone else in the world. It's more important to stick with it without punishing yourself than it is to achieve a certain speed. As for me, I am a born and bred couch potato. I work a desk job and am shockingly sedentary. I am 44 years old, ~5'1", and weigh 126 pounds, which puts me at the high end of ideal BMI, but I am not obese. If it weren't for the fact that I have been an ethical vegan since 1988 and have avoided eating a lot of processed foods (I still eat some junk food), I have no doubt but that I would be obese and ill. I am single, no kids. I push myself on the treadmill to run 5.0mph and if I had a heart rate monitor, it might counsel me to run a bit slower so I enjoy it more. When I started C25K, I had the treadmill up to 5.5mph, but I found when I eased up a bit, especially as the run durations became longer, I was able to finish the workout without so much of the sense of physically pushing myself. Anyway, that's been my experience. I hope it helps. I just think that for me, as a beginning mid-life runner and formerly sedentary person, I have a totally different set of needs and goals than other runners. I read somewhere that it takes the average smoker something like 13 tries before they actually are able to give up smoking. Well, I see giving up the habit of sedentary behavior as nearly EXACTLY the same kind of habit to break as smoking -- I'm substituting the habit of running for the habit of sedentarism. This is my second try at C25K and my third or fourth try to start the running habit. The difference this time around is that I have a small external motivation (a benefit 10K run in April) and I approached the whole thing this time with extreme gentleness about how hard I run--even though 5.0 is still pushing it a bit for me, it's not like 5.5mph. I'm firm about getting out and doing the run, but I'm gentle about how I think during the run and how hard I run. Anyway, I've gone on for way too long. Sorry for the ramble! Keep runnin' Tracey!