Marathon Trainers

Week of 22 - 28 Sept 2008 (Read 299 times)

Bugs

Kimmie, A 20 mile run sounds fun. Next year I want to run more LRs faster. (Why would I wait till next year.) This winter I want to run more LRs faster. You need to train a runner so you can run in the morning and get paid for it. Here's some advice Nobby gave me: Don't forget to start taking lots of honey 2~3 days before the marathon! Best source of carb. Remember, just getting tons of carb may not simply work; you need some essential vitamins and minerals (mainly B12) to actually utilize carb. Honey contains all the necessary minerals and vitamin + water. Drink several cups of tea with honey (with milk); make some honey sandwitch for lunch/snack. Hydration also starts several days before the marathon.

Bugs

Dave

Nice to see you posting, Kimmie. Bugs, thanks for the re-post of Nobby's honey advice. Sounds like a plan for me before this marathon. 9.6 today at an easy pace level of effort (HR was only 138 average). Once I warmed up, that translated to an 8:35 pace. Cooler temps from the 85F we had yesterday. Felt REALLY good.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Kimmie

I'm already feeling like I'm getting some of my mojo back. Just got back from 6 miles easy at an 8:50 pace. It is gorgeous outside. I almost didn't go because I'm on the tail end of this cold, but I'm so glad I went. And I need to try the honey thing.... I have trained runners before, Bugs, but it was always someone who was just starting out.. with a combo of walking and running.... so then it felt like I "kind of" worked out but not really and I still needed to do my own running later. What I've got going now works for me...
        Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Kimie - welcome! Did 4 easy miles during lunch yeterday. Tuesdays Mrs Inertia and I usually workout together at the Y but she's not feeling up to it so I'm on my own. Resisting the urge to run fast... Perhaps some hills? I've got a really nice really hilly 6 or so mile course I might hit. Perhpaps a hill workout on the TM. decisions decisions

Dave

MrI, where are you at in your training cycle? Are you in basebuilding or have you actually kicked into a plan of some sorts? (I've read some of the stuff in the main forums). Hills are great intensity workouts. I probably should've done more of them. Unfortunately, I think I ran so much of my other runs too fast and ended up not being up to it on the days the plan called for it. I used the planning tool at http://itsmyrun.com/tools/calendar.php to come up with my basic schedule. Believe its based on Pfitz. Includes a whole lot of intensity workouts. Hills, intervals, MP, and temp runs just about every other workout (with easy stuff mixed in). I always ran more miles on easy days and then had nothing in the tank for the interval/hill sessions.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I'm still rebuilding from derailed training. I've been thowing some intensity in fairly regularly. I'm not looking to do hill repeats, just do an easy run over a very hilly area.

Oh Mighty Wing

Kimmie, Welcome. This place really needed some new blood. We've had a few drifters lately and that leaves me only with just Dave to tease.
                I'm here I just am not doing anything worth teasing! LOL HI KIMMY!!! Welcome!!! I ran 2 miles today - on the treadmill while watching the kids workout in the weight room. I have to say it was nice and easy and stress free because I didn't care how far i went or how fast or if I walked... I actually started out walking and then feel into a really nice run... I'm not thinking about it or tomorrow any more I just wanted to report in... I can't believe we are 20 posts into the week - it's only Tuesday!! How am I gonna read all that??? Bugs - stop over thinking things! You have had an amazing go of things since your injurys left you water jogging in an attempt to feel like you were running!! So please just try to breathe and enjoy taper!! And remember that alot of the advice given out on the boards with given without looking back into your bigger picture. And what did I cause Dave to do?? I can't remember now... crap! Mr. I - Do you log a hill workout on the TM as hill or as easy? Cause I did a hill course today on the Treadmill, but wasn't sure what to label it as since the pace was still easy... And I'm glad you are building back smartly! Dave - who is giving you crap about your low base? Do you even have a low base? Ok I went back to your log... you made a huge jump in July (about 10 miles over 2 weeks)... but you seem to be doing awesome! Muprhy, Pace, Cash, and Erika - HI!!!!! **waves**
                Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Usually when I do hills on a TM, i put it in a random setting and log it as an easy run, noting the hills in the note section of my log. I ran just under five miles this evening. Two climbs over a small/medium hill. two climbs over a medium hill and one climb up a beast of a hill. My quads are singing a tune. I feel GREAT!!!!

Dave

Glad you're feeling better, MrI. I love hills, but mainly on shorter routes where I can power through them and not have 5 or 6 miles left afterwards Big grin Shan, nice treadmill work. Every mile counts. As far as my base goes, Berner and Mikey mentioned it. Given the 20 that I logged, I sort of thought that was a better race indicator than anything else, including the relatively few miles I logged earlier in the year. I didn't want to cart out my lame excuses (calf injury in March, etc.). I still got pretty pessimistic guesses at a marathon time/pace (slightly slower pace than my long run). I guess the best thing to do is just to run a strong marathon ... I must have been pumped full of adrenaline/post run high this afternoon. I felt awesome. Then the little running elves snuck under my desk and beat the hell out of my legs a few hours later. Nothing terrible, just sore. I hate those little bastards. Evil grin

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Cause I CAN

Did 3 miles today, thing calls for cross training tomorrow....what can peach do to herself that doesnt involve running? I dont bike or swim... Also wonders if its too crazy to try and aim for under 5 hrs or is that pushing it?
                      Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                      http://terri7291.blogspot.com/

Bugs

I'm here I just am not doing anything worth teasing! You have had an amazing go of things since your injurys left you water jogging in an attempt to feel like you were running!! So please just try to breathe and enjoy taper!! And remember that alot of the advice given out on the boards with given without looking back into your bigger picture. And what did I cause Dave to do?? I can't remember now... crap!
                        You bumb your head in the weight room, pardon but you seem a little mixed up tonight. All I said my legs were tired. It's taper, not sit on my arse week (that would be next week). And I aqua jog year round, I like it, but it doesn't feel like you were running. I aqua jogged on Sunday but I skipped a run, my choice, not sure what you were saying. Like I said I think the time in water is wiser (for all people injured or not) than recovery runs. Maybe you're just razzled with all my posts...taper leads to idle time and I'm planning my next season just like Dave and Inertia. Peach, Aerobics, I'm a real fan of the FIRM. Kickboxing builds really strong legs. Work your arms and your core, something I fell short on this year. Dave, Dam, was just to say that was an amazing recovery. I'm still thinking you deserve a massage. I took the butter knife to my calf muscles tonight. Really got them to loosen up. Shan, That was smart TM run. Do you guys push off with your toes every time you run or just when you go fast? My toes like to curl, don't know why. I focus on not doing it and pace really accelerates..just tires out my feet sometimes so I switch to just landing on midfoot, would that be called a slog? Nobby, is right about how we all go through certain rhythms. I can certainly see that in most of us here. (Well maybe not Erika, she probably ran 40 miles this week.) I'm a consistant runner but get dead legs at times. Would like to figure that out. Think it's because I don't do enought > LT work. I'm going to bed. Good night.

Bugs

evanflein

Uh, no Bugs, I haven't run since Saturday's race. But that's ok... with this schedule and the travel and all, I've been beat. Was planning on taking about a week off anyway after Equinox. Had dinner tonight with a couple who posts on the Masters' club. Shan, sorry we couldn't get together... I have no idea where you are! I'm in "National Harbor, MD" which is really just a recent development of condos and conference centers/resorts so it's not even on all the GPS devices. It's been nice, but haven't gotten out to see much of the area... sort of a "phooey" for being here from so far away! We had a private event at the National Spy Museum in DC last night.. that was fun but spent most of the time in line for food or talking about our Governor-cum-VP-Candidate Palin. I'm so tired of her! I should've had a prepared "fact sheet" to hand out. Anyone who wants to check out what Sarah Palin (or any other candidate) says, should go to "factcheck.org" to see what they say. We leave tomorrow at 6 a.m. for an 8 a.m. flight to Seattle. Then meetings there till we catch the 5Tight lippedx flight home, get home about 8:47 tomorrow night, Alaska time (that's almost 1 a.m. Thursday here!!). Welcome Kimmie. Pay no attention to the dust bunnies in the corners. We're all kinda busy training for or running marathons. I just did the Equinox, Bugs is training for Twin Cities... and I forget now what every body else has coming up next. (ok, yes I'm so bad.... we should have a schedule on the home page!!) Next up for me is NYC on 11/2.... I'm ready now. Ok, maybe after a nap.
                          Cashmason

Glad to have you with us Kimmie. Boy Genius decided to go for an 8 mile run last night, got to mile two and tore a calf muscle. Hobbled home. Still hurts today, but only half as bad as last night. Glad tonight was transition practice and swimming and no running. She had us practicing 3 people to a lane swimming at the same time, getting us used to bumping and getting bumped by others at the race start. Also had us pace lining in the pool to get used to drafting on the swim. Last week she had us doing drills, showing how she gets her running cadence between 97 and 105 steps per minute ( thats one leg count, double it for 2 legs). Her specialty is the 10k distance, but she will keep the same cadence for half marathons. By the way, that is after swimming a mile in 18 minutes and riding the bike 25 miles. Her 10k time this week end after the swim and bike was 37 minutes. She won the womens National Elite this weekend, and in 2 weeks goes to the White House with the rest of the US Olympic team.

Oh Mighty Wing

I thought I trained pretty hard for this one. {words} The last few weeks my runs are a little off, but I had races in there, so I'm thinking I still trained pretty well. {words} I think I need more hard workouts not more miles.
                              I wasn't going on sore legs - I was going on the doubt expressed in some of your posts. All I meant by the aqua jogging was that not all that long ago (a couple months I guess) you weren't running because you were injured and you took up aqua jogging as you made your way back. And then you smartly took some time building back before you dove head first. And now here you are seeming good as new with an awesome plan to help keep you healthy and many awesome runs in!! So I guess all I was really trying to say was while you build your next plan don't beat yourself up about this one because the situation was not the same AND your goals will be different. Cash - I think you have a crush! Tongue Erika - Wow that's a lot of flying
                              Kimmie

Thanks for the welcome everyone! so many of you are hard core. I've heard about the Equinox.... unbelievable. I ran with a new friend this morning at 5:30 on some dark paths. We need to find a better lit route but I'm glad to have someone who seems to run the exact same pace as me. We ended up with 8 miles in 1:07 or so, which is good, especially when I didn't really feel awake and the allergies are kicking my butt. Cash..... what kind of program are you on and who is your coach?