Drinkers with a Running Problem

Extreme beer (Read 452 times)

...---...

“The hoppiest beer?” Garrett asked. “It’s a fairly idiotic pursuit, like a chef saying, ‘This is the saltiest dish.’ Anyone can toss hops in a pot, but can you make it beautiful?” Phil likened the appeal of these beers to the macho allure of hot sauces, which almost dare enthusiasts to try the hottest ones. I tend to agree. The DIPA's I've had lately have been kind-of harsh...even sour (vs. bitter). A triple? Wow. Don't know if I could go there. I'm still learning BUT does a double or triple have to have alcohol levels so high? That, to me, kills the character. Maybe it's just me but I think 6 - 7.5% is plenty...probably my comfort zone on alcohol. I tried a DIPA Hebrew recently...finishing it was an exercise in suffering. I think the americal pales ales fit my taste buds best...right now.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Head Procrastinator

DFH 90 minute is my personal #1 too. I feel so special Wink
      ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
        I'm not an IPA guy to begin with. A "hoppy" taste is not enjoyable to me, and I can only imagine what the extreme IPA's are like. Give me a nice porter or stout any day - aaaahhhhh...

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

Imminent Catastrophe

I love a good IPA. Strangely, they are hard to find in India. Ironic, eh?

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

DFH 90 minute is my personal #1 too. I feel so special Wink
            I had that for the first time last month and REALLY liked it! I need to find it close to me.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

...---...

I love a good IPA. Strangely, they are hard to find in India. Ironic, eh?
              LOL! You're killing me with that avatar.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

My wife, PDR, is a real hop-head. Consequently, all of the beers I make tend to be overhopped. I did make a double IPA once -- but you don't want that stuff hanging around your house in a keg too often -- generally 9% ABH or higher.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Head Procrastinator

I had that for the first time last month and REALLY liked it! I need to find it close to me.
                  That sounds just a little kinky Shocked Lou, does it go bad in a keg because of the high alcohol content? You know I offered myself up for adoption, it wouldn't be around long with me there Tongue

Head Procrastinator

I'm not an IPA guy to begin with. A "hoppy" taste is not enjoyable to me, and I can only imagine what the extreme IPA's are like. Give me a nice porter or stout any day - aaaahhhhh...
                    I love a good Porter or Stout too. My brother brought me a six pack of DuckRabbit porter from NC that isn't sold anywhere near here. It was yummy. Scored high on Beer Advocate too. I see a trend here, I tend to like higher alcohol beers. But, I am satisfied with one or two where the lower ones I can keep drinking.
                      That sounds just a little kinky Shocked Lou, does it go bad in a keg because of the high alcohol content? You know I offered myself up for adoption, it wouldn't be around long with me there Tongue
                      I bet he means you'd be apt to be loaded all the time, since it's high-test and readily available.

All business

DFH 90 minute is my personal #1 too.
                        Dogfish is great stuff. I saw this DFH 120 at the Maproom last time i was there. 20% ABV, 450 calories per bottle. Wooo! MTA: Now i've RTFA and see it was mentioned there. Oh well.

"What are you afraid of, failure? So am I. "

-Shatner 

Lou, does it go bad in a keg because of the high alcohol content?
                          It doesn't go bad, but the problem is it goes down too easy and is a shock to the system, especially for us morning risers.
                          I bet he means you'd be apt to be loaded all the time, since it's high-test and readily available.
                          Uh, yeah. What he said.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dogfish is great stuff. I saw this DFH 120 at the Maproom last time i was there. 20% ABV, 450 calories per bottle. Wooo! MTA: Now i've RTFA and see it was mentioned there. Oh well.
                            Hey, I was just at the Maproom last month after my brother's grad school graduation. I know someone here was already familiar with that little place...was it you? What an awesome little joint. Smile k ETA: I see it was you...I went back to read that thread. Wish I lived in Bucktown. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Head Procrastinator

It doesn't go bad, but the problem is it goes down too easy and is a shock to the system, especially for us morning risers. Uh, yeah. What he said.
                              Oh, is that all the problem is? I don't get up that early Big grin They had the DFH 120 at my local beer store too. I fainted from sticker shock Shocked