Low HR Training

Second Maf Test on 3-29-10 (Read 594 times)

My stats are: 6’1” Amazon, 47 years old, 205 lbs, could lose about 20 more lbs but have lost 50 in the last year staying away from grain (even whole) and refined sugar and upping my protein. Trained for 6 marathons, finished 4 (got to 14 miles in the Estes Park marathon and it was 90 degrees at 9,000 feet and I bonked-the other was Chicago 2007 where they stopped the race when I was at mile 18 because of heat), 5 half marathons, one 17-mile race and some smaller races, all between October 2005 and March 2008. Trained with a Galloway group after my first marathon. Worst marathon time was my first, in Phoenix, with little training and no knowledge of fueling (idiocy)-about 7:18 and best was 6:20. Best half was 2:38 (running downhill almost the whole time-Slacker Half). Stopped running after injuring myself skiing in the spring of 2008—just pulled some tendons, no surgery or anthing-(Ortho said I was not built for running but that was 50 lbs ago and what does he know? :0)) Got really out of shape in spite of hiking and skiing. In January 2010, started running again, doing 20 seconds jogging, 40 seconds walking. But I was huffing and puffing the last few miles of my long runs (now 10 miles) on Saturdays. Enter my friend George, former semi-pro bike racer who coaches now. He suggested Maffetone and here I am. Started Maffetone 3 weeks ago. First Maf test was on a dark and stormy night and I was kind of grumpy and stressed. Went to a track and didn’t have auto lap on my Garmin 305, didn’t really warm up. Average mile was 16.64 but I didn’t have an alarm for low heart rate so I might have been walking too much. Also, I got really bored with ¼ mile laps and took my shoes off to run barefoot for a few miles on cinder track and squishy fake athletic field grass. I don’t know how that affected anything, it just felt good. Lots of variables but they all added up to me not having much aerobic capacity. Second Maffetone test was last night. I was neither grumpy nor stressed but I had white flour-white sugar chocolate chip cookies the day before and was not feeling physically the best-they do a number on me! It was balmy, 50-ish degrees. I warmed up for over a mile just walking increasingly fast. Then I ran (and walked) 5 miles. Mile 1: 16.4, Mile 2: 15.4, Mile 3: 16.2, Mile 4: 16.7, Mile 5: 16.1. Average was 16.16! So even though it was just incremental improvement, it was improvement and I am psyched about it. I’m signed up for 2 races at the end of June and that gives me about 80 days of base training before my first one. I’m going to keep everything under 133 bpm (180-47) unless I’m in a race. I have my minimum heart rate set at 123. The races I’m in are 14.5 miles up Mt. Evans June 19, then the Slacker Half a week later (all downhill which I love but still high altitude), and that’s it until the Chicago Marathon on 10/10/10. Goals: I would like to do an ultra in 2011. I would like to stay injury-free of course. I would like to improve my dismal, back-of-the-pack fat girl times. I’d also like to figure out how to upload my info from my Garmin 305 to anywhere, mostly my Mac. The Garmin is about 4 years old and I can’t even see where one could plus any USB into it but maybe I’m blind. I could read the manual but where's the fun in that? I appreciate all of the good information here and all of the inspiration too. For a funny story on my first marathon go to: http://memoirsandhalftruths.wordpress.com/ and read The Worst Marathoner, Part I. Cheers.
    Runner and writer with a pesky day job. http://memoirsandhalftruths.wordpress.com/ "Don't ask yourself what the world needs - ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -- H. T.Whitman
    runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I’d also like to figure out how to upload my info from my Garmin 305 to anywhere, mostly my Mac. The Garmin is about 4 years old and I can’t even see where one could plus any USB into it but maybe I’m blind.

The charging stand plugs into the computer as if you were charging the garmin. You can go to gamin.com to download there site. You can also download here at runningahead by going to the training log section.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

I figured it out-the usb port is on the charger, where you plug it in.  The transfer is wireless.  I downloaded the software onto my MacBook Pro and it was really easy, although it looks like I really screwed up my first Maf test so I'm not sure if I should count it. 

In fact I'm wondering if I should start the Maf thing over completely since I can now see where my heart rates during these run walks is too high.  It averages 134 mostly (my maf is 133) but spikes to 165.  Maybe I should stick to walking only for now.

In addition, even though I never used my HR strap until recently, yesterday for example the readout just kept going blank and I would walk faster and faster and then suddenly it would say 65 bpm, then 45 bpm.  My resting was 66 the day of my first Maf test.  It was 42 when I was doing more regular racing a few years ago.  Maybe I just need a new battery on the strap even though I never used it. 

Runner and writer with a pesky day job. http://memoirsandhalftruths.wordpress.com/ "Don't ask yourself what the world needs - ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -- H. T.Whitman
        BeeRunB

My stats are: 6’1” Amazon,  For a funny story on my first marathon go to: http://memoirsandhalftruths.wordpress.com/ and read The Worst Marathoner, Part I. Cheers.

Thanks for posting. Keep going. You'll be running everything before you know it.

Good blog!

--Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy!  I take that as high praise from a playright. 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

In addition, even though I never used my HR strap until recently, yesterday for example the readout just kept going blank and I would walk faster and faster and then suddenly it would say 65 bpm, then 45 bpm.  My resting was 66 the day of my first Maf test.  It was 42 when I was doing more regular racing a few years ago.  Maybe I just need a new battery on the strap even though I never used it. 

Try wetting strap with water or a gel. I put water and lotion on my chest to wet the strap.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I use Aloe Vera gel I found at Walmart on the lowest shelf in the hand cream area. When I don't have that I run the strap under water before putting it on. In either case its not 100%. Still get some drop outs, even when starting with slow warm up walk, then slow jog for 2mi, it will still drop out. Haven't determined a pattern and it happens with my Garmin and Polar so its not company dependant. I think the technology must not be bullet proof. As you continue lhr you'll learn how to "ride" thru an hr drop out. I'll frequently switch my Garmin 301 display to show pace and if the terrain is even will hold that pace until the hr comes back.

bob e v
                2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

I use Aloe Vera gel I found at Walmart on the lowest shelf in the hand cream area. When I don't have that I run the strap under water before putting it on. In either case its not 100%. Still get some drop outs, even when starting with slow warm up walk, then slow jog for 2mi, it will still drop out. Haven't determined a pattern and it happens with my Garmin and Polar so its not company dependant. I think the technology must not be bullet proof. As you continue lhr you'll learn how to "ride" thru an hr drop out. I'll frequently switch my Garmin 301 display to show pace and if the terrain is even will hold that pace until the hr comes back.

hmm, maybe try some ECG gel.

also, if the signal is not 2,4ghz and not even coded then some things in the streets can affect the signal (not often though).

as for myself I just put water between the strap and my skin before I go out.

you also need to keep the strap clean.

for example, my polar has a textile strap that needs washing out in the washing machine sometimes. if I don't do that for more than a few weeks, it will develop problems, first it'll take a long time for it to locate the signal and sometimes HR jumps up and down during warmup. after washing it out this all goes away and it's perfect until it needs another cleaning.

if yours is a plastic strap, then just wash it with water or perhaps water+lotion. check your device's manual for exact instructions.