Low HR Training

"Race Report & Upcoming Races" Thread (Read 7776 times)

Slow and Steady

I've got a full in 2 weeks (http://borneomarathon.com/). Not sure how I'll do as I've done very little anaerobic. I suppose a 5:30 would be what I could expect, but a sub-5 is possible I suppose. It's tropical here so very humid. But at least the marathon starts at 3am so I'll only get the sun after 4 hours!

Eric S.

Trail Mix ||| dailymile ||| RA log

Goals: 50km, 50-miler, 100km, 100-miler

Well done cmon.

Yeah that 20 mile thing is mostly for people to get confidence they can actually finish. I read it recently in a study but can't recall what or where. Old age setting in for me I guess.

High intensity will be my next trial. 16 or so max with 80% at race pace. Coupled with one other good workout per week, two solid MAF runs and three intermediate runs, I expect some decent training and possible race results (all things being equal)

well when you do those fast long runs, make sure you don't do them every week. maybe every 2nd week. I'm saying that because 13miles at race pace really seems a lot to me. but I don't know what your other good workout is like so maybe you can get away with doing it weekly .

I've got a full in 2 weeks (http://borneomarathon.com/). Not sure how I'll do as I've done very little anaerobic. I suppose a 5:30 would be what I could expect, but a sub-5 is possible I suppose. It's tropical here so very humid. But at least the marathon starts at 3am so I'll only get the sun after 4 hours!

at 3AM? wow thats fun Smile I wish we had races like this here Smile good luck!

Trevi

I went in a 10k "Fun Run" on the weekend.  I tried to run a reasonably controlled run without worrying about speed or HR for most of the run.  I just ran on "feel".  So impressed with the result as this was my first faster 10K.  The only other time I had run 10k was in training and i took 1:20:00 (roughly)

It was a very comfortable run even with some hills along the way.  My LHR training paid off big time here and I feel so empowered to continue and get faster and faster.  My next goal is to run a 55 min 10K in July.  This is not bad for a guy who 4 months ago could not run 5k and was 17 Kg heavier..

Split Avg Pace Avg HR Max HR
          1 6:24 118 130
          2 6:02 133 141
          3 6:32 124 132
          4 6:37 126 131
          5 6:20 132 134
          6 6:32 133 136
          7 6:38 134 138
          8 6:45 137 143
          9 6:10 139 145
          10 5:54 142 155
           Summary 6:23 132 155

Slow and Steady

Way to go, dude! Nice to see your training paying off here.

I went in a 10k "Fun Run" on the weekend.  I tried to run a reasonably controlled run without worrying about speed or HR for most of the run.  I just ran on "feel".  So impressed with the result as this was my first faster 10K.  The only other time I had run 10k was in training and i took 1:20:00 (roughly)

It was a very comfortable run even with some hills along the way.  My LHR training paid off big time here and I feel so empowered to continue and get faster and faster.  My next goal is to run a 55 min 10K in July.  This is not bad for a guy who 4 months ago could not run 5k and was 17 Kg heavier..

Split Avg Pace Avg HR Max HR
            1 6:24 118 130
            2 6:02 133 141
            3 6:32 124 132
            4 6:37 126 131
            5 6:20 132 134
            6 6:32 133 136
            7 6:38 134 138
            8 6:45 137 143
            9 6:10 139 145
            10 5:54 142 155
             Summary 6:23 132 155

Eric S.

BeeRunB

Congrats, Trevi.

MAF is working for you.

Keep going!

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Trevi congrats

. Excellent pacing. Made your last K your best K!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Did a 21k trail run race with 3600m of total incline (abt 12000 feet) with very technical up and downhills.  Took me 4h 10 min at average hr 180.

Felt very good and powerful and finished before many runners that usually are faster than me. In these 4 hours I only ate an home made energy bar and drinker water with a small amount of sea water and worked good. This year I have abandoned energy gels and similar stuff and Im not missing them. Looks like fat burning is working!!

Next race in three week, 32k and 6000m, Ive never done such a hard race and the objective is finishing!!

BeeRunB

Did a 21k trail run race with 3600m of total incline (abt 12000 feet) with very technical up and downhills.  Took me 4h 10 min at average hr 180.

Felt very good and powerful and finished before many runners that usually are faster than me. In these 4 hours I only ate an home made energy bar and drinker water with a small amount of sea water and worked good. This year I have abandoned energy gels and similar stuff and Im not missing them. Looks like fat burning is working!!

Next race in three week, 32k and 6000m, Ive never done such a hard race and the objective is finishing!!

Awesome. Congrats on the progress!

Sounds like a grueling 21k.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Darkside 8 hour. Goal 36 laps.

17 laps 4:02: x x

20 laps 3:56: x x

37 laps

1 lap = 1.02 miles

37.74 miles + 1 mile cool down.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

Slow and Steady

Just finished the Borneo International Marathon. This was my fifth marathon, but the first (and last!) in a hot tropical climate...and my worst time (somewhere around 5:32, I'll get the official stats later). What a horrible way to spend the morning. Big grin Actually, it didn't start out too bad. Start time was 3:00am so for the first 3 1/2 hours we were running in darkness and it was probably "only" about 80 degrees, with humidity above 90%. Then the sun came out...and the only good thing is that it brought the humidity down! Brutal.

Initial reports from the local running club are that very few people bettered their previous times for this race, so maybe today was hotter than normal. Anyway, my family came out (after 7:00am) and visited me several times along the route, which made the race go by much more pleasantly.

Not sure how much LHRT helped on this run. I wasn't wearing my HRM but felt like my HR was pretty consistent the entire race - maybe in the 150s (my MAF zone is 121-131). I just went by feel, and I think I nailed it because as I type I feel just the right level of fatigue, pain and soreness. But I hoped for a better time. (But then again, I did not really train for the marathon...I just ran a lot.)

Race organization and support were EXCELLENT. It was really only the weather that made me say, "No more!" to running the FM distance in Malaysia. Now I get to go back to the trails! Will still be doing MAF training all days except trail days, where I'll go anaerobic after my warmup.

Eric S.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Eric

Congratulations on finishing. 80F at the start. 

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

8 hours of pure fun. No one older ran more miles. That's a 1st. My recovery must be going better than I imagined.OK, it took me 7:57:58. There was only one other person still standing. 37.74 miles

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=693105967414752&set=a.375377145854304.84698.100001460651440&type=1&relevant_count=1

SCHEDULE 2016--

unsolicited chatter

Slow and Steady

What was this? (I couldn't see the link, maybe because of permissions?)

8 hours of pure fun. No one older ran more miles. That's a 1st. My recovery must be going better than I imagined.OK, it took me 7:57:58. There was only one other person still standing. 37.74 miles

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=693105967414752&set=a.375377145854304.84698.100001460651440&type=1&relevant_count=1

Eric S.

BeeRunB

Just finished the Borneo International Marathon. This was my fifth marathon, but the first (and last!) in a hot tropical climate...and my worst time (somewhere around 5:32, I'll get the official stats later). What a horrible way to spend the morning. Big grin Actually, it didn't start out too bad. Start time was 3:00am so for the first 3 1/2 hours we were running in darkness and it was probably "only" about 80 degrees, with humidity above 90%. Then the sun came out...and the only good thing is that it brought the humidity down! Brutal.

Initial reports from the local running club are that very few people bettered their previous times for this race, so maybe today was hotter than normal. Anyway, my family came out (after 7:00am) and visited me several times along the route, which made the race go by much more pleasantly.

Not sure how much LHRT helped on this run. I wasn't wearing my HRM but felt like my HR was pretty consistent the entire race - maybe in the 150s (my MAF zone is 121-131). I just went by feel, and I think I nailed it because as I type I feel just the right level of fatigue, pain and soreness. But I hoped for a better time. (But then again, I did not really train for the marathon...I just ran a lot.)

Race organization and support were EXCELLENT. It was really only the weather that made me say, "No more!" to running the FM distance in Malaysia. Now I get to go back to the trails! Will still be doing MAF training all days except trail days, where I'll go anaerobic after my warmup.

Nice finish in brutal conditions,  Eric.