Masters Running

Friday, 1.13.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just a quick walk-by this morning: Today is DW's birthday, so I'm on duty all day, starting with taking her out to our favorite dive for breakfast. We took the day off, and are heading to Portland (ME) for the weekend.

We had our Seacoast Half wrap-up dinner last night, and it was a funny and productive evening. Among other things, the ED of last year's beneficiary asked if there is a spot for her on the permanent race committee, and we jumped at the chance to get her - she's great! She's also the 3rd beneficiary who has joined the committee after their year, so we've got some great talent working with us.

7 miles in ridiculous 49F temps this morning, but also with a pretty strong westerly wind. I was glad to have a windbreaker to, well, break the wind. All-in-all, an nice workout.

I'm off-line till Monday, so have a greta weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Ack! Another warm weather post! Where is that global warming around here when I need it?! It was 3° with below zero wind chills at 4:30 this morning. And frankly? I'm getting real tired of fighting folks for treadmills. And not much of a fan of ice hidden under snow either.  So downstairs for 20 minute of jumping rope and 20 minutes of weights and core. Mariposai needs a schedule for her treadmill. I just wish we had one

The posts about running tights, swimming suits and man boobs were hilarious yesterday. Loved the picture Steve!

Have fun on your weekend getaway Jay!

Glad dinner went ok with Eric Mike.

Hope it warms up for you Erika, and sorry about more snow.

Hi Deez!

We're celebrating birthdays here today too. DS#1 and DIL share the same birthday (today) born two years apart. This was a bad week for them with sick kids and busy work schedules, but their plan was to leave this morning for a "grownup" weekend in Chicago. The grandmas will be helping with the boys while they're gone.

Have a great Friday everyone.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Just one mile on the tm to keep my mini streak going because I seem to have caught hubbys cold.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Happy birthday to Jay’s DW and Jlynne’s DS and his wife. We have grandsons with double birthdays-- Jackhenry (8) and Brody (6) were on Tuesday and Brock, Brody’s brother,  turned 1 on Monday. I wish Brock would have arrived one day later so half of my grandkids would have the same birthday.

Steve – what a great photo and story about the truck driver. You must be a blast to work with.

Jlynne, so are you going to shop for a treadmill? I admire you for getting that jump-roping done! We are remodeling our basement and I am going to suggest replacing MrStarr’s big desk with a treadmill since he doesn’t work at home inspections anymore. He’s retired now, I guess, due to the anxiety/depression issues. He is getting better day by day and so is DD#1. She finally admitted to a close family friend that she has a problem and is a slob. Getting her apartment clean was no easy task for her but I guess she has that done, for now, and is on track. She asked for help from my SIL to find a job, yeah! New year and New beginnings for her.

Mariposai – Sorry about the stress from your job. I know what you mean about life and work interfering with your running plans.  I was planning to tri a Triathlon on May 7th but now I am scheduled for surgery on Tuesday and will be off work for three weeks.  Nevertheless, tonight will be my second time trial at the YMCA for Swim-Bike-Run and I will fuel better this time.  Probably a sweet potato and banana would be best of the foods allowed on Whole30.

So we have at least two streakers here! I don't usually run even two days in a row. Good job!

What is everyone up to for the long weekend (assuming you get MLKJr day off)? I am making soup for the freezer, then we are going to Sioux Falls shopping on Monday, maybe even see Manchester By the Sea.  Organizing my sewing room is an ongoing task but hope to spend quality time in there over the next three weeks.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Tramps

Just a quick post.  Given the nasty weather elsewhere, I promise not to mention the 72F weather yesterday or the still-warm 59F for this morning's run.  (Oops.)

After not running for two days (long story), I got in a 10-miler yesterday and 11-miler today.  Interestingly, they were both all on pavement--which I rarely do--and my knee seemed much happier at the end.  I don't know if it's a coincidence, the two-day rest, or something to do with the even surface of pavement but it was nice to finish without major discomfort.  I may have to make the effort to find more pavement to run on.

Lots of folks with the long weekend off, have a good one.  TriBee's workplace follows the DC federal government schedule, so it's Monday off for MLK, Friday off for Trump.  Weird bookends to the week.

Be safe. Be kind.

..and

just to prove Cold Snaps are Relative,

70s to 40s feel like one

=========

40s and drizzle today

40-min  HH on  GreenWay,

quite a lot of people out today

PoolRun 40-min, nb, cf, ris, paw

after

the AquaRobics Group quietly went off to Denny's

.............good running guys.........Happy B'Day to Mrs Jay......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

I always read Jay's summaries so I know what I did the day before.

I'm also a Brussels sprouts fan and yesterday's posts reminded me that I should make another batch of red cabbage in the slow cooker. Maybe it also reminds me of my German-Swiss grandmother whose house always smelled like cooked cabbage, even though as a kid I didn't know that's what it was.

Last night our trail group went to a session where we helped paint panels for a building-wall-sized mural that will be on the side of a building that faces the trail. It's on the campus of Rochester College (a small local school), and they've invited the public to come in the evenings and pitch in on the work. We also made a pizza party out of it, so it was a lot of fun in addition to being productive. I'll try to remember to post a picture here of the finished product.

No workout yesterday, mainly due to my annual physical in the morning. My doctor says I'm boring because there is never any good new advice he can give me. Since I  haven't done much all week, I went to the gym this morning and mainly did my round of weights, which I'm hoping will pay off.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

What is everyone up to for the long weekend (assuming you get MLKJr day off)?

What?  People actually get that day off?  I don't have a paid holiday until Memorial Day.....(although I plan to take a few vacation days before then).

28 breezy degrees this morning put us back to normal winter weather here, but with freezing rain/ice storm in the forecast for tonight, and also tomorrow night, I figured it would be best to get up extra early and get my LR in today while the pavement was dry (from the warm temps of the last couple of days).  I took a flashlight, but almost didn't need it with the full moon out.  The river is very high right now, almost overtaking the bike path I run on in several spots.  The weekend's additional (freezing) rain will likely have it rising enough to make the path impassable in places, so I am glad I was able to get it done today.

16 miles total.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

Hi All,

yep, MLK day off. but we operate off the court calendar, so if court closed, we are closed. Although since I missed an entire week of work due to our weather, I'm not all that anxious for yet another day off. I've hardly worked in the last 3 weeks!   I finally came back home last night though. enough snow has melted that DH can get truck in and out easily. Neither David nor I can get our cars out yet so DH is our taxi service today. We probably still have 10 inches or so of snow, but over the next 3 days we should have enough rain and mid 40's that by Tuesday when we head back to work/school, we can all get to where we need to be easily.

I will also resume running this weekend! I feel like I'm going to need a C25K program after so much time off!

Tammy

Henrun

Still mild today before we drop back to the 20's tomorrow. Did another 2 mile jog/walk with more jogging than walking and my "speed" is picking up. Only one woman with a walker passed me. It's a long slow recovery but I'm getting there.

GKs here tomorrow for a family gathering. They were supposed to be here last week but a snowstorm got in the way.

evanflein

TriBee's workplace follows the DC federal government schedule, so it's Monday off for MLK, Friday off for Trump.  Weird bookends to the week.

Wow, no doubt. Good to hear your knee didn't mind the two days of 10+ on pavement.

Steve, would love to have heard that conversation. Great picture. Some people just have no sense of humor.

We're supposed to get snow tonight, like up to 7" with maybe 4" more before Sunday, but so far it looks like it's clearing out. Still expecting -20's to -30's all week, starting Saturday night, so that won't be so much fun. But yes, we have Monday off (although that's a relatively new holiday for us, maybe only the last 10 or so years) but it looks like we might be spending it clearing snow.

Nice job getting that long run done, Holly. I put 14 miles on my schedule for this weekend, and given the temps and conditions that seems like a good place to leave it. I might try to get it done tomorrow depending on conditions, but no matter what I just want off the treadmill this weekend.

Mariposai, nobody says you have to run marathons. And I fully understand stress from work, and work itself, limiting your running options. I do think you and EP should work out a schedule for the treadmill though. Even an every-other-day thing would be better.

Starr, is this another foot surgery? I hope nothing major. That's a lot of birthdays to keep all on one day. I'm sure the parents like getting it all done at about the same time, but I bet the kids don't think much of having to share their day with siblings.

Happy birthday to Jay's DW and Jlynne's DS and DIL. Today seems to be a popular day!

Today is a "nothin' special" run day, and I could even skip it if I so choose. It's been several days in a row of running for me with far too much time on the TM, so the thought of a day off is tempting. But, I'd also like to have some decent mileage for this week, especially with a somewhat shorter long run this weekend. Bleh. When is spring?

Posie - Don't let running be an added stress.  Sometimes you just gotta let it go and go with the flow.  That's what I had to do when my pop got sick and passed in 2015.  Trying to maintain a running/workout schedule was just too much.

Find more pavement to run on?? Horrors!!

Love the photo, Steve.

About 45 min of core/ST this a.m., then PT appt. at 8:00.  Hopefully the exercises he gave me to do over the weekend will continue to get things to feeling better.

AND - I got into Mt. Hood 50!  Woot woot!  I'm excited because it's half of the course for Mt. Lakes 100 which, if I get in, will be my first attempt at a 10-miler.  Yay!  . . . . am seriously considering signing up for the 50k on the same course held the day after the 50-miler . . . .

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

AND - I got into Mt. Hood 50!  Woot woot!  I'm excited because it's half of the course for Mt. Lakes 100 which, if I get in, will be my first attempt at a 10-miler.

Great!  But I'm pretty sure you have run 10-milers before......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

So far the 2017 ice storm is a bust, but the TV weather people keep saying it'll be here soon. Nevertheless, I still did my 6 mile run inside on the treadmill and if the meteorologists are correct I'll be doing tomorrow & Sunday on the treadmill, too (we have a generator, so power outage won't be an excuse).

Paul.

catwhoorg

Labrat

First run since Monday thanks to training and a workshop session

7.7 on the treadmill. it was much needed.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18