Masters Running

Race Reports for the March 16 & 17 weekend (Read 16 times)

Mariposai

Here is wishing our intrepid racer good luck! May that dream finish time for this race Smile come true.

From the Intrepid Master racing list:

03/16 spacityrunner - I Love LK 5K, Hot Springs AR

We all know many more will be racing this weekend.

Go Masters racers go and please come back to tell us all about it.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

spinach

I ran a Pot O' Gold 5k race this morning. It was a little chilly and there were several large patches of ice that caused us to be real careful. My time was 22:52 and I finished about 10th out of about 2000. However  this was a race that was intended to get the population to do a little exercise put on by the YMCA here in St Cloud so most of the people there were walking most of the way. It is a great idea of the YMCA here to get people doing some exercise and they do this race as very cheap, $10 per family, and the had a lot of fruit and drinks after the race. I really applaud them for doing this.

This is my 204th consecutive month with a race, now this is 17 years. I have more races this month

coastwalker

Thanks for setting this up, Mariposai.

Nice finish placement in a crowded field, Spinach! And 204 consecutive months of racing is amazing - Congrats!

I also entered a Pot O' Gold race this morning, but this was a 4-miler, and it was a 1st-year race with a small field of only about 250 or so. I only decided to do the race this morning, so I got up, fed the cat, showered, deliberated about a wardrobe, packed up and got out of town. It was 30° and bluster when I arrived, and the only thing that changed was that the sun was up by the 8:00 start time. The goal I chose was to beat an 11:00/mile pace. Fashion report: a tech shirt under a royal blue half-zip tech shirt, black mid-weight tights, knit cap, gloves, and my Topo ST-2s. During the race, I was a little warm with the wind at my back, and a little cool when it was in my face, so I guess I dressed right. Mile 1 was mostly a long, but not too steep uphill. There was a shorter, steeper uphill in mile 2. The rest of the course was downhill or flat and the last mile was flat. I did better on the uphills than quite a few runners, and managed to hold my own on the downhills. I passed a few tiring runners in the last mile, only one of whom regrouped enough to catch me back just before the finish. According to my Garmin, my miles were all 10:35-10:33, and I finished in 42:23 for a 10:34 pace - nicely under my goal. I don't know how many people were in my AG, but my time was good enough for 3rd, and I got a nice Pot O' Gold medal for my efforts. Fun stuff, and a good morning.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

spacityrunner

I Love LK 5K

This race is only about 4 or 5 years in the running and was started as a way to raise awareness of children with special needs.  It’s namesake (lila) was a young girl with Downs Syndrome who passed at a very young age, but in her short life she demonstrated an abundance of love and happiness.

The inaugural I Love LK 5k was timed by our running club and I worked the timing for it.  I recall it was well attended then, with over 100 runners/walkers and our little manual timing process could not handle it.  We generally time races of 100 or under.  So now they have chip timing.

This is the first year I have run this race.  I don’t usually do 5K’s and am partial to trail races but I chose to support this race, along with 80 +/- of our race club members.  It is held at Lake Catherine State Park, about an hours drive.   349 people finished this race, over 600 registered.  Funds were raised!!!    All funds go back into the Special Needs community.

With a 9 a.m. start and an hours drive to the race I set the alarm for 6 a.m. Up, breakfast, kitty care and its time to get dressed.  Gray dry fit leggings, white long sleeve shirt (Spa Pacers Winter Series 2014) and my new Brooks glycerin 16’s.  Blue Balega socks, a purple headband, garmin 230 and black gloves completed my attractive ensemble.  It was in the low 30’s to start, sunny with no wind.  IRC.  I had no expectations of finishing time, but was hoping I could catch that elusive 12 m/m.  

This is a low key race, more walkers and casual runners than racers.  I started near the front, having to go around several walkers already.  I kept my pace easy and just followed the crowd.  Some pretty lakefront and stream scenes helped to keep my mind off the hills…not big, just always there…at one point as I was running along I was thankful for my village running which is nothing but hills.  Sure did prepare me for this race.

Mile one was a screaming 11:06 m/m.  I saw that and was like…wow.  Mile two was a lot slower at 11:55 m/m.  One of those hills slowed me down!  Mile three was an 11:14 m/m.  I knew that I had a really good chance of not only meeting but exceeding my goal.  As I neared the finish there was a guy I passed that was lamenting about how slow he was.  I struck up a conversation with him and we were pretty much running side by side.  As the finish line came into sight he began to slow down so I told him Come on…we are so close, don’t slow down now and we ran to the finish together (he thanked me later for sticking with him).  I enjoyed that so much I didn’t really care about my pace!!  But I knew we were slightly short of a 3.1 (3.05) so I ducked under the finish rope and continued on and got my 3.1.  Managed to finish with an 11:31 m/m.  This gave me a 4th place in my age group, just out of the awards. I really enjoyed this race  Maybe I should do more 5k”s??

Trails Rock!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

excellent racings.

Now back to your regular announcer, if that.

Before running became so year round, except in those years of winter rain, sleet and occasional snow, with bulbs usually bursting forth their flowers and cherry blossoms starting to peek out by mid-March, the St. Patrick’s Day Dash's supposed to be the unofficial start of the PNW’s running season.  Fortunately, after a snowy February, this year it was.

Running around the Seattle Center and under the Space needle to midtown and back on well-worn (or on newly-paved surfaces when the too well-worn had to be replaced) makes the St. Pat’s a favorite for barefoot runners, . . . though, for some reason, I’ve never seen anyone else except me.

However, doesn’t stop me from painting my feet so green, it’s almost like I’m one of the many with green shoes.  Getting out the green Cougar Mountain Race Series hat and St. Pat’s tee’s or green ones from distant years helps justify some of my hoarding habit too.
            Father Time’s made me too slow to appreciate 5K’s anymore but, even though more than 10-12 minutes slower than in those days, it’s still just as much fun, especially when it’s sometimes occasionally possible to be faster than the previous year’s times.  Yahoo! 

2018 - 37:23 (12:04)
            2019 - 36:36 (11:49)
            Number finishers: 2,741
            Average time: 33:51
            OA: 1933 out of 2741
            SX:  1051 out of 1350
            AG: 13 out of 28

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)