Masters Running

Sunday finale, 7.31.16 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Great long runs in the heat yesterday, Robin & Aamos, and good short run (keep it that way for a while), Mike! Good 5er on the TM, Tselbes, 6.3 on Cougar Mtn, Enke. and 3.5 in the rain, Haller (have fun in the woods!).

A great run at Frank Maier's Marathon with the 'Gang of Six', Tet, with negative splits and finishing 17 min ahead of last year!

We got back from Castine, ME yesterday afternoon after a great week's get-away. We had 2 sails out on Penobscot Bay, a hike up Wallamatogus Mtn, lots o' our own-made lobster rolls and other good eats, and plenty of good wine too (including a few bottles from the brand new wine & chocolate store in town). We also caught a Town Band concert on a lawn overlooking the Bay on Friday night, and loved the small-town feel of the event, from the clearly amateur musicians (who played remarkably well), to people on lawn chairs and blankets, little kids running around, a lemonade and cookie stand, and a cute little girl walking around with a basket to take donations for the band. I went for workouts almost every day, averaging about 6 miles, and taking on lots more hills than I can find at home. I was reasonably good, especially after the first couple of days, about staying away from work stuff on my laptop, and spending time relaxing with a book instead.

8.5 RW miles, back on my own turf this morning - 67 muggy degrees, with rain in the forecast. I didn't have much sproink this morning, so I just hung in and got it done. I did some stretching when I got back, and by the time I finished, the rain had started.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Welcome back Jay,

Sailing and lobster rolls sounds like my kind of vacation.

Tet,

you continue to amaze me. Congrats on another milestone in your life.

I needed 7 miles to get 100 for the month so I did my 7.5 mile loop. I haven't done this one for awhile and forgot how rolling it is. Lots of ups and downs so a better work out than I thought.

Steve,

i got pooped on by a bird today and with all your nature knowledge I thought you would know if that's good or bad luck.🤔

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Nice vacation, Jay, sounds like you fit a lot into a few days. We've missed you around here, but managed to get the daily going eventually most days. Smile

Tet, congratulations on a successful negative spit marathon! Nice to run with like-minded friends. And it wasn't last year that we had a lot of rain, it was 2014. Broke the record for the most rain ever recorded in the June through August time frame. August 1967 was probably still the rainiest August ever, but 2014 overall was more. So far, 2016 is shaping up to be the second rainiest June-July 61 day stretch. Sure hope August doesn't push us over the top. I'm so sick of rain.

Good job getting your miles in, Larry. I like monthly goals except when it's obviously hopeless, like my July. Oh well.

And yes... rain, rain, rain, rain. It rained all flippin' night again and is still raining. It's supposed to lighten up a bit this afternoon, so it'll be a later run for me today. Goal is 14 just so I can get to 40 for the week. I'm over 100 for July, but far short of the 200 mile goal. Rats.

Marathon Maniac #957

A great run at Frank Maier's Marathon with the 'Gang of Six', Tet, with negative splits and finishing 17 min ahead of last year!

Indeed!

Jay - that sounds like a lovely time!

Larry - I have no idea if that is lucky or not, but it has happened to me before.

Erika - bummer about the rain.  I hope it dries up for you.  Remember, we still have almost 8 weeks of summer left.

While we had a great vacation, I did manage to get a little intestinal distress on the last day, which has lasted all weekend.  Nothing debilitating, but I am trying to stay in close proximity to restrooms.   I don't know what caused it, exactly, since we all ate the same foods and I was the only one affected, so maybe just something I picked up from playing in the waves.

At any rate, I tried running today on the TM.  It wasn't pretty.  I felt as if I had never run before - a complete and total loss of fitness. Plus, my knee still hurt a little.  But only a little, and it didn't hurt the rest of the day, so we will see.

It was fun to be gone, but nice to be home, although I am not looking forward to the coming work week.

DD has try-outs for the golf team Mon-Wed.  She would much rather play volleyball (with her best friend), but I know the golf team is her best option for a scholarship to college, so of course, I bribed her - told her I would give her $100 if she made and played for the golf team.  (Actually, I know this will be spent on clothes, which I would be having to buy anyway, so I come out even in the end.)

4.6 miles running, sort of, for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  It sure is nice to have you back and starting the dailies, Jay...you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that went on in here.

I went 2 more easy miles, this morning, and....no pain in the hamstring!  I'll go 2 again, tomorrow, and talk to the chiropractor on Tuesday, and see where to go from here.  From all the stuff I've read and heard about hamstring injuries, if I get off with missing only 3 weeks, I should feel pretty lucky.  I realize I will have to lower my expectations for Portland but I'm going to enjoy that trip no matter how slow I have to go.

I just emailed my two bosses--my main job boss and the cross country coach--and asked for 2 days off in a couple of weeks.  Ryan has been living and working in Utah for the past few months but, after a pretty painful breakup with his girlfriend, is coming home.  Debbie and I are going to drive out there and help him haul all of his stuff back.  Except for missing cross country practices, I'm looking forward to the trip.  I sure could use a break from work.

Okay--I guess that's about all I've got--oh--congratulations on another marathon tet!  Yes, you are amazing.  Okay--that's it.  See ya!

evanflein

Holly, we've been loving the pictures from Facebook of your trip! Welcome home, and hope you can start rebuilding soon.

Mike, good news but yes please be careful. And I hope you get the time off, it's certainly not much to ask.

Well, I waited for awhile till it seemed like the rain was getting lighter, and headed off on my run. DH dropped me off at the bike path so I didn't have to deal with the mud. Light drizzle with a headwind for the first 7+ miles, then the rain mostly stopped but it was like running through mist. Actually had some sun break through in the last couple of miles so that was nice. Almost forgot what it looks like. First 10 miles went pretty well but I ran out of gas after that and the last two miles were a struggle. Got it done though, including several stops for wardrobe adjustments (took off my jacket after mile 2 and it didn't want to stay tied), looked for blueberries (found some!!) and checked out some construction projects, including a new bike lane on the road where the Equinox runs miles 24 and 25. Anyhow, I figure I've got a great 10 mile race in my legs, the only problem is next Saturday's race is 13.1 miles. 

14.6 miles in 2:05 (not counting all the stops), so my first 40+ mile week since late June.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

erika - I'm almost afraid to compare rainfalls for the normal desert  conditions

this year up in the Interior to Southeast rain forest country.

.MikeE, jay, everybody - though it was more than twice as long as the seven-dayer in 1985,

just so I could say I did it, with all day fishing wearing me out today almost as much as my

my now-almost-all-day marathons (even though all I did was sit in the boat), my 15-day

running streak has come to an end.  In order to honor the DL's, maybe it can be

joint effort as long as someone volunteers their running for 'the month of August,

maybe a week-by-week, until they get well.  I hope so.

It's given me an immense awe

for perchcreek's 12 years of daily running,

rib's running for almost 60 years. amy and others'

two-and-three hundred mile months, etc.

The regulars of us are in esteemed company.

thank you.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)