Masters Running

DST Monday, 1.14.16 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Well, I failed miserably in my plan for the half yesterday, At the start, I lined up about 4-5 rows behind the guy who won the walking div last year, figuring I'd maybe see if I could stay within eyesight of him for the race. However, near the end of the first mile, we started up a long, steep hill. Just by maintaining my cadence, I started catching up to the guy. I even slowed down a scootch to stay behind him. But I was on his shoulder, and didn't like going that slow, so I caught up to him. We said 'hi' and he asked if I was "the guy from New Hampshire?" Uh oh. So I said I was, but don't expect much. But the race was on. He (Bob) and I stayed pretty much together for most of the rest of the race. I was setting the pace most of the way, but Bob was close enough that I could hear his breathing and footsteps. We learned that I was faster going uphill and he was faster on the downslopes. And there were plenty of both on this course. We both knew that the course had a long downhill finish, so in the later miles, I tried to pull ahead enough to offset his speed on that last downhill. But I just couldn't do it - I did pull ahead on the uphills, but Bob hung tough. I was off my target pace because those later hills were killing this flat-lander. And the last short but steep uphill at mile 12 was just cruel. Also, at the start of that hill, Dave Talcott, a nationally-ranked racewalker, blew by both of us. Dave had started half an hour after us, with the runners, so we knew it was just a matter of time till he caught us. Dave won the walking division in 1:56, Bob finished next in 2:24, and I was a minute behind him in 2:25 (my best RW half was 2:22). However, at the award ceremony, they had a woman (who Dave and I never saw - I didn't get a chance to ask Bob about her) in 2nd place, so I was listed in 4th and out of the awards. I suspect the woman was a runner who had mistakenly registered as a walker. So it goes. Last year, Bob won in 2:30, so I'd like to think that I at least pushed him to a faster race. Because of the constant hills, this was the toughest course I had ever raced, and I was completely spent at the finish. I was cramping, and in desperate need of nourishment. Dave (the winner), and a friend of DW who was there both somehow found bananas for me whereas the race had already run out of them. It was a tough post-race, but I'm feeling better (if still achy) today. That'll teach me not to stick to my game plan of just enjoying the race and the course and not worrying about my time.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

I love that story, Jay!  Except for them messing up your standings.  But you are a competitor!  You just can't ignore it--it's a fact.  And how cool is it that guys in other states are very much aware of you?  That is awesome!  My own teammates barely know me.  Congratulations!

mrrun

Jay - impressive time for someone who doesn't train on hills.  I'm not sure if it's in your genes to "enjoy" a race and not be competitive!

From FB, it appears aamos and her DH both did awesome in races yesterday.

Not sure who else raced this w/e.  I'm just about over the iggy stomach bug going around.  We were supposed to go out for elegant dinner at new restaurant near us and cancelled because it seemed like a waste of money.

Shout-outs and hope the healing continues - it's no fun being a runner with hurts or living with a runner with hurts.

marj

mta:hi Mike!!!

''ps - if Daylight Savings Time is “DST,” what is standard time?''

tet//...I'm guessing ''STD''........

......jay//..........you Walked a tough race,

and some days you just Work With What You Got

================

sorry for all the Knee Icing, just go easy and switch to soccer fields which should help

working on some

curious Back Pains,

am going to hit the Park later today and see What I Got

.................good running guys

............ps..............it's early in the year, don't Tear Up this early in it.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Thoroughly enjoyed that race report, Jay.  What Mike said--you have a reputation in RW circles, so cool.  And you most definitely pushed Bob to a 6 minute time difference.  That's really interesting.  Hope your aches are minor and clear up quickly.   I imagine since there are fewer RW competitive divisions in half marathons that when there IS one, it draws more attention nationally among RWers, yes?

So so glad you got away for a relaxing weekend, Holly.  (And that you paced yourself!)

Look out Green Bay, Erika is gearing up!  Nice LR!  Can't wait to see you.   My friend and speedy 50+ year old runner Melissa is going to be there too--she's the lady behind My Soxy Feet and is doing the expo in GB.  Really hope everyone gets to meet her.

She and I didn't run together yesterday at the Sarasota Half--she is faster, but had some GI issues--but we finished with the exact same time-1:40:15.  What are the odds?  And DH got in just over 2:45.  (He may have jogged a bit at the beginning.)  Also ran a 5K Saturday--my friends Dr. Janet (she's a poop doctor, as she puts it) and Vera, a colon cancer survivor, started the 5K after Vera's bout in 2009.  It's the Scope for Hope and the Twins kindly give us the use of Hammond Stadium, their spring training home.

Loved that story Rosie--and TFA "grads" all learn about and use Donors Choose from day one!  Super great group.  (And it's not just pencils--I bought three industrial strength pencil sharpeners with my own funds in just one year in Mississippi!)

LOL Jlynne--DH and faded away from HOC because the Underwoods got so evil we just couldn't stomach them anymore.

And what tet said about MikeE  and being glad...

--too bad about the missed meal, marj.  Hope you get to try it soon.  (Am trying to get DH to come to the 5K April 17th Sunday in Watertown but he's contemplating a whale watch.  Whales over us???)

Ailing folks, you need to go run with Mari.  In NOLA, it appears.  Then you get better.   And maybe if you do that, you find your missing items, like locks (they have locks in NOLA, no?  or only levees??)

Adjusting to the time change....really slept last night as we had to get up way early to get to Sarasota Sunday am. AND we got some last minute free tickets to the Saturday afternoon Sox game, so it was a busy weekend of fun and games.  And I could've used that hour.

So just 5.2 this am.  Sleepy head for sure!

yawns,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Slo

Excellent report Jay. Thanks for sharing!

Looking forward to meeting you friend Amy.

And I am jealous of Erica's long run. I got 14 in on Sunday...an ugly 14. I am so out of marathon fitness.

I agreed to a workweek fitbit challenge. I was getting nearly 30,000 steps a day and topping out at 36,500 on Friday. My first "long" run in over 3 years and then went to my God Daughters confirmation Mass on Sunday. Standing room only. 2 hours on my feet...left me a little sore today. 2.5 miles.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - Great Report and Well Done!  Those hills can really be killers, especially when they sneak a mean one in right at the end.

Slo - too right that standing can be quite exhausting, too.

4 easy-paced miles for me today in 54 misty degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

...Now we just need Erika, Enke, wildchild and Henrun to get off the injured list.  

Was I on the injured list? I don't recall that... I ran 53 miles last week so if I'm supposed to be injured I should maybe not do that? 

But hey, I hear injured knees are all the rage, even Richard Simmons had to back off because of his knees!

Nice race, Jay! I agree that was a great race on hills for a flatlander. And hey, you've got a reputation that crosses state lines! I'd ask about that placing though...

Slo, I have a standing desk at work, and if I've been standing more than usual I really feel it on my runs. Yes, you can get sore just "standing around"!

Sounds like a fun weekend, Holly. The pictures on FB looked like you had a good group and a lot of fun.

So that long run on Saturday was good, and I was a little sore yesterday but not bad. Stuck to the treadmill though, since we got some snow (just a dusting) and I didn't want to find the hidden ice on a recovery run, so 5.2 easy peasy miles yesterday. This week is colder than we've had in several weeks... highs just barely in the low 20's. It's actually about where we should be, but we've had such a warm winter it feels cold. I'll get out this afternoon for a few miles but a little more bundled up than I've been lately.

TammyinGP

oh please don't tell me it's Jan 14th. I can't handle going back in time. . . well, maybe back in time when I used to run stronger and longer. 

Despite the absolute torrential rains this weekend, I managed 5 miles on the treadmill on Saturday and there was a brief pause in the rain yesterday afternoon (or at least it was just a light sprinkle) so took each of the dogs out for a 2 mile run. 9 miles for the weekend. Not alot, but more than I've been doing lately, so I'll take it.  5 mile race this weekend, then a 10 mile race 3 wks after that, and then 18 trail race 2 wks after that. Oy. this is gonna hurt!

Tammy

wildchild

Carolyn

Heh, I didn't even notice that Jay posted January in the thread title!  Happy pi day!

Nice racing, Jay!  I love hills - because in ultras that means you get to take a walk break.  But I guess you walk the whole race, so that's no help to you!

We were all set to head out on a road trip,  but my knee still hurts, so I decided I should make a doctor appt to get it checked out.  I can't walk without knee pain, and I won't be able to climb either, since most climbs involve hiking with a heavy pack to get to the rocks, so it doesn't make much sense for me to go right now.  My DH is going on a solo climbing trip, and he'll come back for me after my knee gets better. 

Happy trails, everyone!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

...wild//.........in a Country

where most of the population DRIVE to the mailbox>>>>>>>take some of tet's Stiffle Pills til you are PainFree<<<<<<

=========

........raining a bit here but not like further South

40-min HH at park, hills on purpose, and 2-lb trekking poles

remind me

to bring water next time

(I still have to get

used to Breaking a Sweat......I Love It)

..........good running to ya

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Fantastic race and rr jay.
                          However, that’s too long to race
                          without midcourse nutrition. 
                          Shame on you.
                          What did you eat/drink beforehand?
                          Windy, but dry, first DST cyclemute over all the broken branches from yesterday’s 50-mph winds that also broke a section of the fence when a neighbor’s tree fell into our yard.  At least it missed the house this time.  whew.  Unfortunately, another one hit and killed a young father in his car with his unharmed infant son over at Seward Park.
                          KNEES - after I finally caught up to a running guy on a half-mile+ uphill stretch this morning, he said he runs the same five miles to work three times a week but will be quitting in five years when he’s sixty because of his knees.  I guess he could use some of Tom’s Stifle pills that helped me so much in those days as I wanted to suggest that he slow down too, . . . but he was too fast and already out-of-range.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

Knees and norovirus- must be part of the epidemic that's going around. I' m recovering from the virus but my R knee continues to give me much pain. I've been running 2-3 miles slowly 2 days in a row and then taking 1-2 days off and just walking but pain persists. PT starts Wed. I'm sure my therapist will tell me not to run- but not sure if I'll obey.

Renewed my driver's license today. If you're over 75 you have to take an eye test. So I waited over2 hours to take the 30 second test. I commiserated with another 80 year old in line how hard they make it for they make it for us old folks. But there are too many old drivers on the road who shouldn't be.

BTW- congrats Jay.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Shout-outs and hope the healing continues - it's no fun being a runner with hurts or living with a runner with hurts.

marj

mta:hi Mike!!!

Refering to any runner in particular, Marj?

I don't think I missed a previous mention, but Happy Pi Day to all.

Spent yesterday afternoon at the NE aquarium and then walked to the North End for a scrumptious Italian dinner (and a cannoli from Modern Pastery).  According to my phone, I added another 2.4 miles to my total for the day.  I've been trying to find out how the iPhone does that--is it gps or step counting and calculating?  Anyone know?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

........1-what's an iPhone??

and

2-you'll probably want someone else to answer this question.