Masters Running

Fri Jan 30 Runs and etc (Read 471 times)

Slo

I have race numbers with my race results scratched on them stapled all over my garage. If I won some hardware then I stable that up with it the number. Thank goodness it's cold otherwise the Turkey for my 2nd place AG finish in this last years Turkey Trot might be a little rancid by now. Big grin
    Mariposai

I love that "tribute to yourself" hall. Great job Mary. Just lovely. 8 easy miles this morning in 20F, just 9 pieces of clothing on me...there is hope for spring to come!!!!!!! Great workout yesterday gang.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

hopeful, that was a nice 5K you won yesterday. Also, I like your "wall". Twocat, good luck in dealing with your frustration (and injury) in what appears to be a medical run around. lame, congrats to your daughter on her ski race. Nice long runs for WRFB (with fall on ice), PBJ, jdmom, enke, Tramps maine, twocat, and diverdoc. This morning, it was about 20°, there was a little wind, and we had gotten a little more snow for the cars to pack down on the packed snow/ice that was already there. I wore my Yaks and got in 8 miles in about 1:18:30 for a 9:48 pace. The run got hard but I was able to do the last 4 miles at less than a 9:30 pace so that was a good thing. Upon arriving home, my wife informed me our treadmill quit working when she tried walking on it. I cringe to think of replacing it as I am real cheap and the one we have is heavy enough that it took three of us to get it into the basement. I don't know if we'll be able to get the old one out. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
          Twocat, interesting information on marital fighting. Like Lame's dh, I don't think my husband got the memo indicating that I should win these fights. I wish I could say we were being adults, but unfortunately we are in "cold shoulder" mode right now. I expect the matter will be tabled until we actually have to make a decision. By then we will be speaking again and hopefully will be able to make an intelligent decision. Anyway, beautiful morning for a run today. Temps in the mid-30s and, shockingly for this area, no wind! I was bound and determined to keep it easy this morning and did a good job. Eight miles at 8:05 avg. pace. My legs are definitely feeling the hard run Wednesday and then the 12 miler yesterday. Echoing everyone else Mary - I love your "tribute" wall. I am terrible about keeping race numbers and the like. I have my finisher certificates from Shamrock, Philly and Cleveland pinned to the bulletin board in my office and of course have kept the trophies, but no other memorabilia. I really like those shadow boxes. You are probably a scrapbooker too! Tim, good to hear that all is well again with your AT. EGH, sorry to hear your shin is giving you trouble. Diverdoc, enjoy your trip to GA and some couch time. It may be a good idea anyway - it'll give you time to recover from the race. Swimming is a great workout. I wish I had more time to incorporate it into my schedule, but it's way more time consuming that running. You have to actually pack up your stuff and get to the rec center/gym and then change, swim, change again and drive home. There's nothing like just putting on your running shoes and heading out the door. Good workout this morning SLO. Maine, nice wave run yesterday! That was one speedy last tempo mile. Mari, great news about the somewhat warmer weather. Funny that we can call 20F a harbinger of Spring. Take care all!

Once a runner . . .

Tim - I suspect that the elliptical really stretched your AT a lot, and that is what the pain was about. It may have been a good thing to get it stretched really well that one time, may actually speed up the recovery. Mary - I also have a little shrine to myself! (but not fancy like yours!) Twocat - well that is the old Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus stuff. So true so true. Usually DH has no clue what he has done to piss me off, but after three days of the silent treatment from me, comes apologizing saying "I'm sorry what ever it was!". Going to a poetry reading for 3rd graders. Then a short 4 mile run.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

There's nothing like just putting on your running shoes and heading out the door.
              Boy, that would be nice! Unfortunately, in my neighborhood, they sort of expect you to wear clothes, too..... Big grin But seriously, I can hardly wait for the day when I don't have to spend 25 minutes putting on multiple layers before I head out, and can just run in a t-shirt and skirt - that really is freedom! Enke - how cute! I hope you're taking your video camera.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

Meg, I'm glad your knee is getting better. How's your patience holding up? . Sorry about the cold shoulders. Sad I hate that. But I've had plenty of practice. Re:
                What are the specifics on your injury? Is it definitely piriformis or more a hamstring thing? What caused it to get better before? I ran through both bouts of piriformis. The first lasted several months and the second only about a month. I found that stretching helped a lot, as did adductor and abductor exercises (that machine at the gym that works both was a life saver to me). I would say that if it is getting better, just keep at the running and whatever else you are doing to help
                It's both. I had a good PT the first time around..(she's also a runner,) who was very patient in sorting this out. You asked great questions... thank you. I won't go into the details (too long) but it was good to go back & looked at my log to see what helped, & esp. what didn't. I can be such an idiot!! I saw another pattern.. each time, after I've started to run again, after about a 3 month build up I've done it again. Like I said... Roll eyes It helps to know you ran through it. Phew. Do you remember how many times a day you stretched? I do those adductor/abductor exercises at the gym. How many X a week do you think? Would you do them after you ran? I do, but am not sure if it's a good idea, though they don't bother me as much as leg presses. Thanks again! Enke,... Going to a poetry reading for 3rd graders Smile. What a hoot. How are you doing? Tom... TM"s make great laundry holders. Haven't read the rest of this yet. I'm having extra fun with COBOL today. & yes, you can laugh. No work out yet, I'm going to the gym after work. I know too many people in the morning & just wasn't up to it today. Curmudgeon mode.
                TammyinGP

I love your tribute Mary I'm a scrapbooker, so once I ever finally run a marathon, I'll be doing something similar for my book. JDmom - sounds like how DH and I argue Roll eyes silent treatment for a couple days until he can cool down enough to have an adult conversation about it. I've tried in the past to just deal with whatever the issue is at the moment because I hate dragging things out for days. But he is emotionally driven and lets his emotions dictate the way he approaches 'arguments/discussions' so when he's still hot about something, I have learned to let him have his time to get rational in his head before trying to discuss whatever it is. Actually, my 'inner dialogue' is more like "screw it, I'm not dealing with you until you can act and talk like a grown up instead of an emotional teenager" . The silent treatment days suck though. I can empathize. rest day for me. Charging up my new Garmin now and plan on a longer run tomorrow with it. Ahh, the freedom of going whereever and not mapping my route when I get home!

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Holly--I don't know, if I lived in your neighborhood, it wouldn't bother me at all Evil grin I thought the "Wife is always right " memo was stapled to the marriage certificate. Wink Sure was on mine.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Well, when it comes to Long-Suffering Mrs. PBJ, it's not that the wife is always right; it's that the husband is always wrong. I've learned to accept that... Spin cycle and fizzy lifting this morning. The usual.
                        It helps to know you ran through it. Phew. Do you remember how many times a day you stretched? I do those adductor/abductor exercises at the gym. How many X a week do you think? Would you do them after you ran? I do, but am not sure if it's a good idea, though they don't bother me as much as leg presses. Thanks again!
                        dg, sounds like you are doing the right things to help. I stretched twice a day - once in the morning after running and once in the evening before bed. I liked hip flexor stretches and the one that is designed for piriformis where you sort of lie on top of your folded leg - hard to describe but I am sure you know it if you've had piriformis syndrome before. I think I did the adductor/abductor exercises three times a week and usually after a short easy treadmill run. I'm sure it's fine after an easy run because you have warmed up the muscles. I did not do leg presses, though. If those bother you, maybe stop them? As for preventing it, I think one has to keep up the exercises and the stretching. If not, it will come back. Best of luck!

Once a runner . . .

evanflein

My parents have been married over 50 years and are still madly in love. My dad says the secret is that he learned long ago the 2 most important words he needed to say... "yes, dear." Roll eyes Dad's very old school, but a smart guy. Tammy, I'm with you... have those same thoughts. I've also taken to thinking "he'll either get over it, or he won't. What I do or say in the next few minutes (or hours) really won't matter." So far, he's gotten over whatever the "it" of the day was. Mary, I've thought of doing something like that for my medals. Organizing them by year maybe? Funny though, some of the biggest and most important races have the ugliest medals. My least favorite is NYC. Then I think it's Seattle. Can't imagine why they have to be so plain. My favorite is still Napa... it's gorgeous! Did anyone notice Gordon stopping in to say hi? Hi Gordon! I hope things are going well for you and you can stop in a little more... We got more snow... more than I wanted, that's for sure. And we just got plowed so nicely, too! With this being the weekend, we may not see plows till next week. Drives me nuts how that works, but I guess it's a money-saving scheme from the state DOT to take advantage of reduced traffic. Funny... Saturday afternoons are pretty busy. Temps are more moderate (yes, Twocat, -5° for the high today is moderate!) but will be cooling off for the weekend. Oh joy, more miles than degrees running on tap... or in lieu of plows, I'll be on the Treadmill! This is supposed to be a rest day, but I feel like doing something. Might head over to the gym to see what Rachel Ray is doing for supper...

Marathon Maniac #3309

Tim - I suspect that the elliptical really stretched your AT a lot, and that is what the pain was about. It may have been a good thing to get it stretched really well that one time, may actually speed up the recovery.
                            Enke, I like the way you think Cool....and actually does make some sense, as to how my AT feels now....but don't want to do that again Angry Erika, how did the Beans and the Running go Smile Tammy, the Garmin really does make running even more enjoyable, for the reason you mentioned. I used to map out my runs afterwords too, and that was a pain just to find out how far I ran....especailly if I ran through neighborhoods and or made a lot of turns. TBo GGTK

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

I am running later. So, just wasting a few seconds right now! Big grin Will report back and respond to a few more people. Well maybe not evanflein since I feel a bad case of frost bite coming on every time I see one of her posts! Big grin lamerunner not sure I meant to imply that having the DH walk out on the DW during a fight was a good thing in and of itself. Just better than what the study indicated the alternative pattern was. Hard to imagine a "good" fight pattern. Sort of what a fight means, something has happened and neither side can agree on what to do. So ultimately somebody has to give in. I really have to find that study showing long term marriages are those where the husband ultimately yields most of the time it was really interesting. Maybe if I have more time to look later. P.S. I have been married to my first and only wife since 1982 so I know from giving in! If you only had any idea . . . Dead

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Aww Twocat, I feel so bad for you... Roll eyes TimBo... I'm happy to report no BRIs from my run the other night. Big grin