Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and Beyond On the Run - w/e 10/31/09 (Read 438 times)

I found out last night that the ff's are not so good around here when summer's over. Acorns hurt like hell and when it's only 48*, me toes get cooold. Ouch!

Carol - Love your comment re the first transition.

Arla - Congrats on the 5k PR.  It IS nice to look at those things and realize just how far you've come.

Cindy - I'll echo Joe's questions re the snow.

Hey Ev and Jewels!

Came back to work with people dropping like flies.  Ugh!  Two are out with what the local med authorities are calling the swine flu (it's all upper respiratory, comes on "all of a sudden," fever over 102, and you feel like you've been run over multiple times by a steam roller), 2 or 3 with bad colds, and the fever and puking are running rampant at my boss' house.  She just came in and said she's starting to feel crappy.  I gave her the X sign and told her to get out.   I'm keeping my head down, washing my hands like crazy, and refraining from all nose picking.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

and refraining from all nose picking.

**snort**

& yes to both snow questions - couple mtns are open & I think all of them are running the guns (snow makers) with the intent that they should mostly all be open within the month...

Carol! I had pit crew visuals with that T1 description!!

I have that heavy head feeling of impending big storm coming in   NWS concurs....forecasters are cautiously predicting, if it hits, it could be huge!  wonder if a short run would help the fuzzy headedness? while its still warmish & only mildly windy....

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
        I finally got to look at the pics of Joe at his run - hubba hubba!! 

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Ha! Thanks! Not bad for a 50 year old ,eh?

50 going on 29!!  (or thereabouts - give or take a year)

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Thanks Leslie,that's flattering, especially  coming from a young chick

All I can do is to quote a famous American Philosopher who said:  I yam what I yam.

Nice speed run tonight. 6.5 miles slow into the wind at easy pace, 6.5 tempo's with a nice tailwind coming back.Mileage will drop about 10 mpw coming up but still keep with the speed stuff.

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol - wow you placed pretty well there for a tri newbie, especially considering your - ahem - less-than-silky-smooth first transition.  I hear you on the MTB with skinny tires to start, have you looked at the price of bicycles lately? YEOW! Might want to look for a used one...

Leslie - hope you're feeling rested, and hope you don't get the crud! My office happens to be in the child development center on our campus (day school + training ground for child development majors), and last week they hung up signs telling people that H1N1 had definitely been in the building (don't know what proof they had...). Dang. If this messes up my 2000 mi quest this year, I'm gonna be one ticked off chickie.

Joe - -  ff + cold + acorns = OWIE! I've discovered here that the lovely smooth sidewalk concrete is some hella slippery when it's wet! Gonna be a whole new learning experience this winter.

Cindy - it's been blowing like crazy here for over 12 hours, definitely a big weather event is coming your way. Not a lot of moisture coming with it, at least not enough to give us any rain around here. 

Rest day today, just how it worked out, but hadn't had one in awhile so it's a good thing. Cool weather means beer brewing time, so my new batch of cherry stout is bubbling away in the fermenter...

Arla

Ex runner

and refraining from all nose picking.

I've been trying to refrain from picking evryones noses, as well. 

Arla...brewing up a cherry stout....you're awesome!  How 'bout sending me a growler?

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

You can pick your nose, and you can pick your friends, but....

Ex runner

Okay, I don't know how to do multiple quotes so:

From Joe:Thanks Leslie,that's flattering, especially  coming from a young chick   Oh yeah!  Keep those compliments comin' there, Big Guy.

From Arla:  Cool weather means beer brewing time, so my new batch . . . is bubbling away in the fermenter...  My DH loves you and doesn't even know you.

From Ev: I've been trying to refrain from picking evryones noses, as well.  One would certainly hope so.

Well, my Garmin died on me about 5 minutes into my run, so I'm guesstimating I did 5 miles in about 50 min - maybe less time because I did some striders.  Not sure why it died.  I charged it about halfway thru our vacation and only did about 3 hours of running after that.  Hmmmm.  Hope it's not permanently dying on me.

Have a great Hump Day, folks.  It's all downhill from here ~

Leslie
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - My Garmin's battery life seemed to shorten over time. However, I've had it since the fall of '06 so it's been through a lot of charging cycles.

OK a growler for Ev, a mystery admirer - this beer-making thing sure draws a crowd!   We'll see how it goes. Planning to start a batch of strawberry wine on Friday, too, with strawberries from the farm across the street from campus - how's that for local?

Fall has finally come to Fresneck. 46* this am -  which for us heat-lovers means bundle up in two layers and grab the gloves. Brr!

Happy hump day!

Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Hey everybody!

In the midst of a sizeable Fall snowstorm here....6 1/2 inches (+whatever rain fell 1st) on the patio table so far, 24-30 ish hrs left of snowfall...NWS is predicting up to 3' in parts of the foothills...then back to 60* by Saturday!  So, making cookies & playing on the computer today - well, some of it is work related....

here's some pics area folks have sent into the local news station so far:  http://www.9news.com/9slideshows/gallery.aspx?slideshowname=October-28-Weather

So, its 29* & snowing steadily....wonder if I should dig out my dreadmill for a couple? it's still buried behind a pile of the kids' boxes that I still need to shove into the crawl space....hmmmm

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

flatland mountaineer

5 in the rain and drizzle, handed off Dessie midway to Lynda on her way back.

LOL at the nose picking exchange, what a hoot.

Winter Storm warning for the next two days here, hope it misses.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Looks like a heck of a storm over Cindy's and heading east. Hope it misses you Jim.

Homemade beer and wine eh, Arla? Sounds nice.

Leslie-there's Garmin reset tools around if you need them.

Trying to get psyched for my track workout tonight. The best thing about those is when I'm on my long run I can say to myself  "it's easier than the track workouts" Sheesh

Top 'O the World!

Yep, heckuva pile of snow here! 20+" in our yard...lots more nearby..some of the foothills have about 40"  & Nope, not gonna miss Jim...although, maybe he won't get quite as much snow, it is becoming a blizzard warning as it moves East!  

Hmmm, brewing sounds like an excellent Winter/indoor activity.....