Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and Beyond On the Run - w/e 10/31/09 (Read 438 times)

Looks like it was pretty quiet around here today.  It's 9:00 pm, and this is the first chance I've had to get on a computer.  My work computer took a poo poo on me the instant I turned it on this morning.  Keeping fingers crossed the computer guy can resurrect my files.  Did I back them up?  I tried before I went on vacation, but was having trouble with the thumb drive my boss gave me.  I'm keeping the panic to a minimum at this point.

Had to break up my workout due to oversleeping this morning:  AM - Strength/core, PM - 30 min biking whilst watching "King of Queens."  Love that show!

Okay - off to a shower then bed.  Nite everyone -

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Helllooooo.....Cindy........you digging out from under that snow dump?  Good base building for the resorts!  Drat, was hoping it would skip Jim & Lynda.  You guys OK?  Leslie, you're a bit hard on the techno gadgets these days, eh???  FWIW, my Garmin doesn't hold a charge for very long either, so I just plug it back into the base after every use.

It's official, my couch has caught up with me.  This cold has been a humdinger.  Did manage a Starbucks "run" this morning, does that count?  Drive thru line was really long, so I went inside.  Ran into our new marketing person from work.  Her: perky, make-up just so, hair done, matching outfit.  Me: groggy, no shower yet, hair a mess, no makeup, frumpy sweatshirt.  Eeeeek!!!!  However, I DID pass the blind taste test -- could tell the difference between their new instant Vio coffee and the real deal.  I know my caffeine, even when my taste buds are a bit off! 

Anyone racing this weekend?

MTA:  Link to race pictures -- my bib # is 874 ......  Monster Triathlon .... OK, so I look more like a sumo wrestler than a triathlete, but who's counting?

Progress Trumps Pefection

Hey - great pics, Carol!!  Very cool, indeed!

Re the Garmin - the sucker should hold a charge for 8-10 hours.

Cindy - Need a snow blower??

Rest day for me.  I have to say, the main thing I hate about not doing any strength training for more than a week - how freaking sore you are the day after you start up!  My . . . butt . . . hurts.  Guess that's a good thing, but dang it when I first got out of bed.

There's an empty field across from my house that some folks spent tons of money over the past few years cleaning up.  They then fenced the whole thing this past year and put a horse and 5 goats out there and one ended up having a baby.  We've loved having the animals across the street.  Well, some stupid %$&*ing moron (yes, you can insert the F-bomb here) dumped their rhododendron clippings into the field either the night before last or early yesterday morning.  Rhoddies - and azaleas - are VERY toxic to goats and other animals in general.  The vet came out and did her best for them, but when I got home last night, it didn't look like Momma Goat was gonna make it, and two others were still iffy.  We have our suspicions about who did it, but like I told the owner, without proof, there's nothing that can be done.  The Hub drove around the neighborhood yesterday looking for a yard with rhoddies, but didn't find one.  My suspicion - our neighbor's SIL and her hub dumped then, since our neighbors have been the main culprits for dumping crap over there anyway, including yard clippings once the goats were put in there.  A number of us are so frigging mad (including the owners, of course), that if we do find out who did it, there's gonna be holy  hell to pay.

And on that note - Have a Great Friday!!

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Woke up to 10+ inches of snow we sure didn't need, actually watched it accumulate through the nite as I was awake with chills and body aches much of the nite. Pretty sure we offcially have H1N1. Thought about going for a ski this morn but still feel like carp and taking mega doses of IBU so not a good idea. I ended up pushing snow with the old tractor in the yard and out at the bins.

Carol cool pics and if Miss Perky woulda saw me this morn she woulda thought I was a homeless person with stubbly whiskers, disheveled hair, eyes that looked like I was on a permanent drunk and the thing is I feel too rotten to even care.

Spose Cindy is on here way to Breck, foothills up to 30 inches of snow and nice snows in the ski areas but mostly the brunt of it in the foothills and front range and plains.

Leslie did anyone turn it over to the law, they routinely prosecute cases like that out here.

Hi to Joe, Ev, Stumpy, Jewels, Kelly and any others lurking out there.

I am calling in sick and heading to the recliner for the rest of the day........Can I do that??

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

. . . if Miss Perky woulda saw me this morn she woulda thought I was a homeless person with stubbly whiskers, disheveled hair, eyes that looked like I was on a permanent drunk

Oh, Jim! I hope you feel better soon!  The two folks at my other job who got this said they couldn't believe how much pain their bodies were in - like someone had run over them over and over and over.  Take real good care of yourself.  The main worry the docs have, since this sits in people's chest, is it moving into pneumonia.

Yes, the owners of the goats had a Deputy Sheriff out there and I guess he, too, drove around the neighborhood looking for rhododendrons, freshly cut or otherwise and didn't find any.  It's a long story with our neighbors, but suffice to say, I would not put it past them to have been the culprits one way or another, and they most definitely wouldn't own up to it.  Very strange people, indeed.  (PS - It's their black and white kitty, Mister Mister, that we're claiming is ours now. )

Computer Key put a new hard drive in my computer and it's working like a charm!  MUCH, MUCH better than it has for the past few months.  . . . . but I guess this now means I have to get some work done.

A sort of funny aside to yesterday's happenings -  The Hub is there watching the vet and owner try to get some meds and charcoal down the goats' throats (which in and of itself was quite a sight, I guess) and give them shots.  Along comes a young blond lab.  One of the kids in the neighborhood says, "Hey!  That's Mandy and Brian's dog!" They live 2 doors down from us.  So The Hub catches the dog by the collar and is half bent over and "running" with it back to their yard 'cause the dog is still a puppy and is excited by all that's going on.  (NOTE: The Hub is not in the best shape.  Running?  Not in his vocabulary.)  Just as he gets to the front yard, which slopes up, somehow or another, he loses is balance, does some sort of somersault move (he's a "former athlete") up the yard, landing on his feet - but at the same time jams his right ring finger really bad.  Said he got a laughing ovation from everyone watching him.  Ends up the dog worked a fence board loose, so he patched as best he could.  Mandy met him at the door when he came home last night and gave him a bottle of wine for rescuing the dog.  We're not sure if the finger is broken, but not much you can do besides stabilizing it.

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Wow!!! Look at that snow.  You can keep that stuff up (and over) there for a while.  I see that CO is really socked in also.  Sorry to say....but it's beautiful weather here (it rained over much of the state yesterday).  Cool and sunny today and nice weather predicted for the next several days. 

A nice 6er in this evening. 

Leslie, glad the computer thing worked out for you.  It is so frustrating when those things go south...especially when you've got a bunch of important files etc. 

Hey Carol...nice pics of the tri. 

Later, folks.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Hi Peeps -

My trail run today - ugh!  It was ugly almost from the onset and just went downhill from there.  In trying to get my act together for AR50, my buddy suggested making out baggies of food in which I've calculated the calories and carbs, while also taking into account the fluids.  So I had a baggy with about 240/40 = 1/2 pbj, 2 fig newtons and one with about 290/42 = a Mojo Clif bar and 2 fig newtons.  First of all, I thought I'd only be out there about 3 hours.  In the 2nd hour of running, I atethe two fig bars and all but about a bite of the pbj.  3rd and 4th hours I ate the 2 fig bars and about 3/4 of the Mojo.  Plus, by Mile 13, I'd drained my 2nd 26-oz bottle of fluids.  I totally miscalculated the time and nutrition.   Totally.  I walked a lot of the last few miles, and definitely all the inclines.  Was suppose to do 16, but managed to get through 14.40 before I gave up.  Some days you got it, and some days you don't.

Goat Update - 3 of the adults and the baby seem to be coming around pretty good.  The male is still struggling, and Momma Goat is really struggling.  Helped the owner try to get some Pedialyte down Momma last night (boy howdy did she stink!!  Whew!!!), and I guess they found out that Pepto is a good thing.  The owner talked to a lady who works with  The Hub who has goats, she said she went through the same thing, and said Pepto is the ticket.  Push the Pepto!

It's like the whole neighborhood has come together over these animals.  It's pretty cool.  There's a guy who, almost every single evening, drives by with his little girl so she can see the horses and goats.  Pretty dang sweet.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Jim.....hows it going up there?  Did your boss buy the "I'm sick" routine.....wait....aren't you the boss?!    Somewhere I saw a sign that read "I've used up all my sick days.  I guess I'll call in dead."

fatozzig....how's Hub's finger?  I bet it's sore.  Tough run for you.....you know what I say about tough runs.....

Carol.....how's the cold coming along? 

Got a nice 6er in yesterday in IRC.  Just gorgeous weather here in OK.  More of the same today, perhaps a bit breezier.  Hope to get in 9 before the Cowboys game at noon.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM