Masters Running

40's + on the Run w/e 5/2 (Read 431 times)

jfa

"Always do what you are afraid to do." Ralph Waldo Emerson Hi Folks ~ Can't wait to hear how Ev made out today ,good thing he trained in the wind....... Instant summer here now with record breaking temps. First 75* of the year on Fri, first 85* on Sat, and over 90* today. Embraced it and purposely ran all three days in the worst of it. Temps for Sunday's race so far are forecast for 50s-60s but hey I'll try to be as prepared as I can be. Hope we all had a good weekend! Cool

Hey All - Ev had a most excellent run!! http://www.onlineraceresults.com/race/view_race.php#racetop Way to go, Ev!! Joe - Can't believe how those temps rose over the 3 days. Hopefully, they abate some before next weekend (all fingers and toes crossed). Did 7.87 miles this a.m. in 1:39:15. Legs were pretty tired after yesterday's run, but worked my way through it. Need to go back and read the end of yesterday's thread to see if I missed anybody. Have a good one!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good morning to all and hope everyone had a great weekend! Thanks for getting us going Joe! Looking forward to hearing how Ev did and read his race report. Congrats young man...... Have a great week! Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Beginner all over again

I'm new to the topic and new to Running (and new to exercise) Wink May I join ya'all? I only go Run (more Walk Than Jog) out 3 times a week, but I'm going try to bicycle 3 times this week too on the in-between days I also think I have overuse shins-and-heels issues from too much too soon. I ran (Walk/Jog) on Sunday about 50 minutes........and have a 5K on Saturday (just more walk than jog, just for a fun workout day) so not sure when or whether I will put in a 3rd Run this week. Nice to meet you all! Smile

Top 'O the World!

Good Morning Everybody! Thanks for starting us out Joe! Cool quote! One group of spectators yesterday were holding up signs ~ one said, "Do one thing that scares you every day" Holy Smokes we're still having some "funky" weather around here! Shocked One week ago, two feet of snow on the ground! Three days ago, 81* F, yesterday woke up to frost on the car, but clear & warmed up to shorts/tank temps by race start @ 9am, rain moved in by 4pm, couple inches of snow on the ground this morning!! Supposed to clear off & make it to the low 50's later & mid 70's in two more days.....my big goofy girl LOVES snow!! Roll eyes IRC to her!! Big grin ...bet it'd be less "sloppy" to go out now? The Cherry Creek Sneak 5K/5M turns out a lotta folks! Definitely a crowded venue ~ for both "races!" (run/walk) several of the vendors appear to be not equipped for such a big turnout - ran out of their giveaways quickly, like before all of the "racers" could get in! ...some were even folded up & outta there by the time we got in from the 5 miler & I was mid-pack!...My chubby butt has slowed down a bit from last year (55:26)... Tongue not putting in nearly as many miles as this time last year, but I did run every day this week...some of it intentionally real slow, w/DS....who incidentally did go for his run without me yesterday! Yay! (& I noticed that he's keeping his running shoes in his car!) ...Doug's forecast of running out of beer came true....they were out of the one type within a few minutes of us hitting the beer corral & we only got two small cups each before they were out altogether! Guess if we do this one again, we should do the earlier 5K so we can get more free beer!! Big grin *****still waiting to hear from Ev! {{foot tapping}} Big grin C mta: Welcome FrancesRe!!! Nice to meet you! Certainly you may join us! We're a small group, but friendly Wink C
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              Ev had an excellent race, indeed! Did not reach the time goals, (10 minutes slower than last year) but still came away with confidence. I'll write up a RR soon, but for now: Started out too fast, faded badly at mile 22. Actually the wheels came off. Had the wind at back for the first 14....30mph headwind for the last 12 miles (actually maybe only 8 or 9 miles direct headwind....other miles at a crosswind.) The wind was actually not that much of a factor (it just sounds good to blame it Smile ) It was somewhat of a struggle, but what really affected me the most was too many fast miles early on. My training did not support the 9:20 and 9:30 minute miles. I don't know what I was thinking Confused. 9:44 pace was all I needed. The lesson here, folks, is to know your goal pace and stick too it. Or, do what I did and learn it first hand Big grin Learning is good! Had a great time with family and friends and the whole experience was incredible. Thanks for your support and inquiries! I do appreciate you guys/gals.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                Hi all. Long time no chat. I go to see the ortho tomorrow for a follow up to see how my "stress reaction" has healed. I feel no pain at all now so hoping I get the green light to start running again. The weather's getting too nice to not run. Hard to believe that my last real run was January 29th and it was 0 degrees. Fingers crossed.

Welcome, FrancesRe. Glad to have you! I am pretty new too, and working to do more running and less walking, with success over a period of about 6 months. I would suggest that you try the C25K system of doing just that. I am an 'ol wannabee, but am making success at a slow rate. You are "a kid" next to me, Smile and will probably proceed with speed on the C25K system. Welcome to this group. Woods Lady
                    Mornin' Kids - Ev - You did a mighty fine job there! 30 mph winds suck no matter what . . . unless they're pushing you from behind. Hope you're feeling good today. Woods Lady - Mighty glad to see you over here. Welcome. Frances - Welcome to you, too. I agree with Woods Lady. Check out the C25k program. It's a really good program, and quite a number of people on this site have started their running careers with it. If you''re having shin problems, I highly recommend that you tackle that ASAP, which would mean cut way back on running or no running, and ice, ice, ice, and ibu until they are 100% healed up. Shin problems have a nasty way of getting worse real fast, and you can end up with stress fractures, which will derail your running program. Make sure you are wearing good running shoes. They can be expensive, but are well worth it. Go to a reputable sports shoe store, hopefully one that specializes on running. Any running store with its salt with let you run around the block a couple of times to see how the shoes feel. And don't be surprised if they recommend a 1/2 size larger than you normally wear. If this is a repeat of stuff you've heard before, then by all means ignore me. Wink And a shin strengthening program will go a long way toward keeping those puppies healthy. A really good one is called "the duck walk." You walk around on your heels, toes pointed up, and your knees slightly bent, and your butt sticking out behind you. Start with 30 seconds and work your way up to 1-2 min. Do this 3-4 times a week, and you will almost assuredly alleviate any shin problems. Boy, I've thrown all kinds of stuff at you! Hopefully, your head's not spinning too much. EGH - Welcome back! I've been wondering where you were. Glad to hear you're healing up. Hi-dee Ho to Jewels, Joe, and everyone else! Rest day for me, and it felt so good to sleep in 'til 7:00. Yes The Hub was wide awake at 4:30, so he got up and dealt with the cats and even made me breakfast! Have decided to wear my HR monitor for the next 3 nights to see if my resting HR has changed. This a.m. when I woke up, it was 50. Very curious since the first time I did this (not quite a year ago??), my resting HR was 42. My buddy, Karen, and I have both been dealing with terrible night sweats for the past week or so, and her sister (a doctor and ultra runner) told her that can be a sign of over training (besides what we women go through anyway). She suggested checking our resting HR again to see if there's been any significant changes. We'll see . . .

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Ev - WTG! Wow! I can't believe you only dropped 10 min considering those headwinds. Ugh - I hate strong headwinds. Looking forward to the full report. So...when's your next race? Evil grin Joe - how did it go in the sudden heat? I got thrown for a loop last year when it heated up all of a sudden around here, took me a couple/few weeks to get used to it. Enjoying taper? Leslie - my understanding is that one HR reading might be nothing. Still, I'm envious of that low HR of yours! FrancesRe - take it easy! Listen to Leslie's wise words! A lot of us had to learn the hard way, by getting injured - then you run *really* slow (like zero mph on the couch) - no fun! Welcome to Woods Lady - you a trail runner, I'm assuming? Cindy - wierd weather, must be spring! So Sunday it's my turn to take on 26.2. Last go-round I averaged 36 miles per week with a peak of 46 miles during the 12 weeks leading up to the marathon. This time I've averaged 45 miles per week with a peak of 53.5 miles over the last 12, and I feel great! Still...I'm getting really nervous now. That first marathon was too easy, something's bound to go wrong eventually...right? Fortunately, I'm again running with someone who's a little slower than I am. Should keep things in check... Arla

Ex runner

You're gonna do great, Arla. It'll probably help that someone a bit slower is running with you so that you don't get caught up in the excitement at the beginning. You have an awesome base, though, and you are no longer a virgin marathoner. Big grin Re the one HR reading, that's why I'm going to do it for 3 nights in a row and then get an average. The first time, I did it two nights in a row and came up with the same 42 both nights. And re the low reading - when I was going in for all my gall bladder stuff, it was funny to watch the face of each nurse who took my BP for whatever procedure. Each one would get this quizzical look, take the reading again, then ask, "Are you a long distance runner?" Always made me feel good. Smile Okay - Off to do my nightly round of transcription. I keep wondering if I'm ever gonna get caught up. But at least I finished the first batch from the PD's office. That was a total yuck case. Bleh! Nitey nite, folks ~ Sleepy

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

WTG Ev!! nice job with the wind and all, and a learning experience also. A huge accomplishment!! I got a few runs in this week amid spraying and corn planting. We got a rain shower saturday night so no planting for Sunday so planned on doing 8 and wound up doing 13.1 just to see if I could. Ya I could, just not very fast. Welcome Frances and Woods Lady

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Another good morning to everyone out there.... Woohoo Ev.....a great marathon you had despite the headwinds and running your pace slightly faster than you were accustomed to for that amount of distance. You still kicked butt and had a great run. How are you feeling? Rest day for Leslie, you deserve it. Your having some great runs and getting in some nice solid weeks. Hello Ms. Arla.....a super base you've got. Your going to do great. We will all be looking forward to your report next week. School must be just about done for you. No summer school teaching for you, right? Cindy, your still getting in the miles. Maybe not as many this time around but at least your staying afloat. Nice 5 mile Cherry Creek Sneak you had there. Your "chubby butt".......I had to laugh when you said that. EGH3, what sort of stress fracture did you have? Glad to hear your getting the green light to get back at it. FrancesRE, welcome! Glad to have you here. Your doing more than I'm doing right now so keep up the good work. It all counts.....walking or running. Woods Lady........"making success at a slow rate", hey....I like that. Great job to you as well and welcome! How is Ms. Carol doing? Jim, I agree, 13.1 is just a number but that is quite the distance. Way to go on a nice unplanned long run. Those are the best....when you just run with no particular distance in mind. Off to Vero Beach today to play around......hitting up the botanical gardens and then lunch at the ocean grill. The Spring semester is over next week.....yeehaw! Later.......Jewels
                            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
                              Way to go to Ev!! Very nice f inish Cool Cool, and I'm betting the wind WAS a factor even though you are minimizing it. Maybe also a reason to start off faster??? I would have been thinking...hmmm..."better make up a little time early on while the wind is at my back." Joe, loved the quote. Gotta lean into the fear somtimes to make life worth living. Jewels, congrats on school being DONE for the semester. Glad you are celebrating a bit. FrancesRe, welcome! You will find all ability/experience levels here and will fit right in. Sounds like you have a good plan, but aren't afraid to listen to you body when it says to rest. Cindy, you guys do the most fun runs! But your beer strategy definitely needs some work. Hmmmm...has DS maybe caught the bug? Hi EGH, hope you get a good word from the doctor and can dip your toes back into a little running. Woods Lady, nice to see you Smile. Good advice re: Couch to 5K. I looked at your profile and absolutely love the quote you have there: " A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame and money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well." G.K. Chesterton Good reminer to run/walk/move, just for the sheer joy of it. Jim, just an impromptu 13.1, huh? NICE! Arla, cool!! It's your turn. If you don't know you're ready, we do! Leslie, I have the HR of a bird. Never has improved much either. Don't know my true resting, but the lowest I see on my Garmin is upper 70's, and I peak out in 5K's in the mid 190's. My husband, who is heavier and exercises less than me has a very low heart rate. I think there are just more individual differences than we know. Either that, or I'll be running on streets of gold sooner than I think Smile. No run since Saturday...gotta get back to more consistency. Thunderstorms, training a new hire, taking a dog to the vet, and trying to get in some of the 53 hrs of continuing ed I need by the end of May are some of my current reasons excuses. Real struggle right now is shifting back to early morning runs...with it getting hotter, that is the best option. My overnight blood sugar has left me waking up not at a good number for a run, so will have to get up extra early to have time to correct that. Also getting a little spousal "will you still be here to make breakfast?" feedback, but know he can rise to the challenge of operating the toaster or microwave should I be delayed Roll eyes. So have been using all of that as my reason excuse to sleep 'till 6:30, ditch the run, and fix/eat a nice relaxed breakfast. BlushBut we all know if we really want to get a run in, we will do it. Excuses be gone!
                              Progress Trumps Pefection
                                Hey EGH3....good to see you again. Glad to hear the pain is gone. Good luck at the ortho....hope things continue to go your way. Frances....welcome.....post often, it's funner that way. Smile mtnchk.....nice 5er. Too bad about the beer. Sounds as though DS is getting the running bug....good for him. Hello Woods Hey Leslie....the duck walk got me to the starting line with no shin pain....thanks again. Arla and Joe.....both of you have great training under your belt. That will translate to a great race. We're all rooting for you. Now DO US PROUD! The both of you. Jim.....nice long run....13.1...yeh, it's just a number....but it's a pretty big number. Jewels.....a day at the beach....bring me back some sea shells. Have a good one! Hey Carol..... Lean into the fear.....I like that. Hey Salty Hey srlopez Hey Ultra Hey evrybody else
                                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM