Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 10.29.13 (Read 47 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Just a quick walk-by this morning, as I have to get DW on her way on a4-day business trip, and then get myself to an 8am meeting. And I'm still recovering from getting beat up by our town's budget committee last night because of an unorthodox (but entirely legal) way that I gave our conservation commission's one employee a raise this year. However, as the finance director told me, I'll get my hands slapped, but ultimately should still have that raise in place. That's all I really care about.

5.5 racewalkng miles at 4 o'dark this morning. It was 31F, so time to break out some light-weight mittens and a wind breaker. Skies were overcast, and the little bit of moon showed itself as just a lighter shade of pale. All in all, it was a great morning to be out, and a good start to the day.

Have a greta Day! (What day is it...?)

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM #7877

Just read through yesterdays daily, and I want to thank a couple posters who commented on my training plan.  For me, the last 5 months has been about weight loss, and I did lose quite a bit. Of course, I am embarrassed that I allowed myself to get so heavy. Yes, I jogged 300 plus miles in the last 3 consecutive months, and even jogged 75 miles during Columbus marathon week. I'm now down to 148.6 pounds (from 225) and 13.6% body fat.  I also greatly improved my diet in this time. I am running another marathon this Saturday, but I have no intent to run it hard or PR. In fact, I didnt sign up until after I ran Columbus and felt so good afterwards.  I heard about the marathon maniacs group, and that is the only reason I signed up for a marathon this weekend; so I could become a member.  The marathon I run this weekend will be just another long run at a comfortable pace. 

Two things are motivating me to change training program. First of all, Boston. Qualifying for Boston would be the pie in the sky dream for me. I don't know if I have the ability to qualify or not. But if I ever hope to qualify, now is the time to try because I am in the best shape of my life. Somehow, I need to get 20 plus minutes faster in order succeed. Second, my 23 year old son Kory just ran his 1st marathon and he ran it in 3:08 (with 2 restroom breaks). He is fairly confident he can run a BQ time in 2014. So it would be most excellent to qualify and run Boston with him.

I would agree with y'all - its not wise to do any speed work between 2 marathons spaced 14 days apart. I'll pull back the rest of the week. And I would suspect that the 40x40 group wont see too many more 85 or 90 mile weeks from me for awhile. I'm just trying to put together a program that would focus on quality runs, versus LSD. And hopefully I will be in a position to run better than a 3:25 in 2014. Thanks!

Philippians 4:13.

C-R

Mornin Jay ( mta and Blue). Glad the raise approach worked.

I took a page from your book and met a fellow RA and recent master Trent for a run at 530. A very nice 5 miles on a Nashville greenway next to the kinky marathon park. Love the warm temps here. Now off to meetings and a drive back home to the family.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

mrrun

Morning to the early birds and those who follow at a more normal hour.

true confessions - coming out of lurkdom.  one month ago woke up with severe shin splints and could only walk with great pain after a 10 mile run. yes, i am training for nyc marathon on sunday.  after frantic call to PCP, no it's not stress fracture, hie thee to PT as often as 3x/week and yes, you can still run.  so after mega visits to PT, they've also ok'd me to run on approx 20 miles in the last month, with 10 this week.  my only goal now is to finish and if i go under 6 i'll be happy!  so 4 days from now,  i'll be out in staten island with 45,000 friends.  PBJ will have almost finished before i start at 11 am.

congrats to all those wonderful races, to awards for runners and kiddos, and ((tw and pickles))  and ((to all those hurting in lurkdom))

have a glorious day,

marj

Mariposai

Good morning all.

I hope you saw a sunrise as gorgeous as the one I saw today.

7miles total for my wings this early morning. One solo warm up mile (it was 25F todayDead), it was amazing how much less I paid attention to the cold air once my RP joined me for a 4 smile miles, then 2 miles at sub tempo to get back home on time to shower to defrost

Have a terrific day!.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Good you got the PT working on those shins Marj. Good luck.

Sounds like a good plan Blue.  Good luck to you. I believe you will achieve your goal as you seem quite dedicated.

Thank you Procol for starting today's thread.

5 easy miles for me at the park with my RP, whom I haven't seen in over a week. Was good to catch up on recent activities.  Spareribs

lamerunner

Good morning!  jay, I am in awe of your alpine starts. I do it on rare occasions but as a regular schedule, it would kill me.

8 miles for me  this morning, around the city and a lap around Dorrs pond. Chilly with some icy flurries, but not as cold as yesterday's 23.. there is snow on the higher summits and rumors of ski areas opening.

Yesterday was an 8 mile run and 1500 yd swim at lunch.

Go Red Sox!  my interest in baseball is somewhere around Erika's but we are  close enough to Boston that it becomes a big deal.  Maybe I will watch an inning or two...I stil think of them as overpaid boys in  jammies.  We did take an office photo last week with all of us wearing beards. One of our legal assistants got married last weekend and made 90 beards for guests to wear once the game came on, so we borrowed a few for a photo.

Good luck to all the tapering marathon  masters. Moab sounds great! My DD was in that area last weekend; she was climbing at Indian Creek during "block break'" between geology and french.

looking forward to seeing Karin and Deez !  Erika, thanks for the hello.

P.S. Congratulations to Enke! on the publication and a hiking day!

Now that we have Tet and Mo Boy posting regularly, we just need ee cummings and James Joyce...

Dave59

Now that we have Tet and Mo Boy posting regularly, we just need ee cummings and James Joyce...

Double Big grin  - I can't stop laughing over that comment.

My run today consisted of a 10 minute warmup and then 7x2 minutes at 5k pace with 2 minute easy in-between.  I am trying to gradually work my 5k pace back down and the first milestone is getting to an 8:00 pace.  I tried to do the intervals at that pace (mostly by feel and not being anal about it).  5 of them were good.  The 4th one was slow and maybe (hopefully) a GPS issue.  The 7th one was slow and that was from exhaustion.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Double Big grin  - I can't stop laughing over that comment.

Really dave, I didn’t get it that much but imagining you laughing all over the place is worth it.

. . .

And I'm still recovering from getting beat up by our town's budget committee last night because of an unorthodox (but entirely legal) way that I gave our conservation commission's one employee a raise this year. However, as the finance director told me, I'll get my hands slapped, but ultimately should still have that raise in place. That's all I really care about.

Kudos to Jay.
                    It’s not easy to do what’s right when everyone else thinks it is wrong
                    and, to borrow a phrase from Clint Eastwood, they don’t give a crap about why it might be right.

You see, as Clint explained after being called on his empty-chair speech at the Republican Convention, “One of the benefits of the aging process is you don’t give a crap less about what anyone else thinks.”

Ps - ganbare blue. It’s gunna be hugh but greta going if you can BQ with your son. However, take it from MikeE and me, it won’t be that bad trying to keep up to him from the sidelines either.  Good luck.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

will run for popsicles

I consider myself the Joyce DeWitt of the board, thank you very much.

Unionblue, fwiw, I think it's good to experiment. You never know till you try.

and huzzah for Jay! Do the right thing. 

Does this mean you finally slept, dave59?

4 stinkin' miles on the whale loop in the wind, God, I hate the wind. Narrowly avoided death by seagulls. I wish I had never seen that Hitchcock movie.

Dave59

Really dave, I didn’t get it that much but imagining you laughing all over the place is worth it.

Like poetry, sometimes I have to think about your posts to understand them. Cool

I actually associate ee cummings more with tomwhite's postings (lots of lower case letters.)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

whew!. I thought I was the other one.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

I have not been around for a week or maybe a bit more and figured if I do not pop in quick now that would be it for another week!  Last week I was out on a venture that put me on 4 plane flights over 5 days.  Out to Tennessee on Wednesday to cheer my SIL at the US Dog Agility Association nationals.  Then off to Chicago on Thursday for a Friday conference honoring a friend of mine who is retiring.  Then back to Tennessee on Saturday for more cheering.  On Sunday it was a plane home.  Whew!  This week it has been catching up at work.  In work news I am now the President elect of the Society of Financial Studies.  A nice honor, but since I am currently the VP I would have been very disappointed if I did not get the nod for the organization's presidency.  So it was all downside risk and little upside I fear.

About running.  I had hoped to do a long run yesterday since I could not get one in last week.  Well, by the time I could go out I was down to an 8 mile run, which I did with zombie hordes in tow.  None caught me which was nice!  Today it is all work which I better get back to. Sad

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

whew!. I thought I was the other one.

...we can take turns.......

==============

..33mprnb......

actually,

I'd rather be Ogden Nash-

Long ago, it's understood,

an Ancient Termite tasted wood

though we don't know why it should,

he thought it tasted Very Good

and that is why

your GreatAunt May

fell through the parlour floor today

...................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Marj - good luck!

C-R - cool that you got to run with Trent - awesome guy.

Very busy at work trying to get the end of month stuff out.  The two ladies I ran the KY Derby marathon are flying out to Moab with me tomorrow afternoon, and we're staying until Monday, hoping we can get some sightseeing and hiking in Arches and Canyonlands National parks. REALLY looking forward to seeing Wildchild again!  The Girrrls on the loose in Moab - watch out!  Smile

4.1 easy paced miles this morning in an unexpectedly warm and misty 54 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."