Masters Running

Saturday August 18,2009 Runs and Workouts (Read 465 times)

Manchild

Good morning!

A misty 70 degree morning here on the sound.  I ran 4.92 miles easily trying to overcome a calf strain that I seem to get every August!  Off to the beach after the dump to perhaps swim a little!  Good day and runs to all!

Chris

After the Dump?  What's that about Charley?

The morning early I picked up DS who finished his Internship in LA yesterday.  He had a red-eye flight so he's sleeping now.  His GF is flying in later this afternoon.  She is a doll and an absolute joy, and we love having her visit.

3.5 easy miles (though not recovery) at 9:10 pace.  A full minute quicker than the same run yesterday without trying.  This bodes well for tomorrow's double.

I may reach 50 miles this week.  I don't think I've done that since before Eugene 2008.

Couch potato day watching Tiger and his (probably) futile pursuers.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

CharleyGross – nice to see you!

Breger – I’m so glad that your DS survived his internship and is back home again.

Tet – adorable grandson!

WRFB wrote:

I agree jlynne - please don't keep any opinions to yourself.  a) nobody was offended -- they're just pulling your leg, and, 2) this place would be completely boring without opinions

Exactly!  We were just joshing you. Jlynne….btw, when I have a run that I feel is, for me, pathetically slow, I just call it “recovery paced.” 

2.75 recovery-paced miles for me (ave 10:20) , followed by 1.2 miles of run/walking with DD, then lateral raises, military presses, bent rows, glute raises, stability ball crunches and 4 chin-ups, one at a time.

Off to soccer practice, and another (seemingly futile) effort at teaching positions to my little team. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I got out for 3 miles of walking and running at a pace too slow to post, but that is okay, at least I got out for some excercise.  Smile   Very humid out there too and I've got a couple of beautiful bug bites to show off on my shoulders.  (yes, it is okay that I ran today)    Now off to get ready to go to an art show on the waterfront with my seester.

Happy Saturday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Got 4 Easy miles in this morning to keep  legs loose for tommorows 10 mile , race.  Weather was warm but managable (75 and humid), It actually felt a little cool at the beginning as must be getting used to heat, just in time for Fall.

supposed to be high of 88 today and tommorow, so hope its clear tonight to drop temps abit for the7:30AM start.  Shooting for < 1:20:00 for successful race (2009 goal was < 1:28); would be pleased if more like 1:17:30  But heat will probably get me closer to 1:20.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Slo

Hey All !

Camanche Classic 5k RR Report

Friday evening Race........Race temp 86 deg

20:47

20th OA

2nd AG

Goal was to run 20:30 or better. 

This race is in conjuction with this small towns summer celebration. All the usual culprits were there. I did a 2 mile warm up and decided I'd strip off my shirt for the race. I was dripping wet just doing the warm up.

The lead pack went out lightning fast. Once everyone settled into thier pace around 2/3rds of a mile I was completely by myself and outside of catching up to a young 15 yr old shortly after the 2 mile mark that was my race. No one to pace off of or to get pushed by. The young lad I caught up to was severly falling off his pace. I knew there was a pack of young kids behind me and I didn't remember seeing to many young kids ahead of me at the turn around so I was trying to encourage this young runner to dig down and keep his pace.....maybe he had a chance at an AG medal. He paced off me for about 1/2 mile then just completely fell off. I looked for him afterwards but couldn't find him......Turned out that there were a group of HS XC boys that did finish before him.

This morning I was out for a patheically slow 8:23 pace 7.53 miler....... at Jylnne

wildchild

Carolyn

Exactly!  We were just joshing you. Jlynne….btw, when I have a run that I feel is, for me, pathetically slow, I just call it “recovery paced.” 

Nice one, Holly!  When I have a slow run, I just don't mention the pace.  Although it's in my log if anyone wants to look.  And for recovery runs, I don't usually wear my Garmin anyway - I just run with the dogs, which automatically lets me take lots of breaks.  If I post my pace, it usually means I was pleased by it.

Jeanne, I'm sure no one was offended by your comment. I certainly wasn't; we're in the same age group and you would kick my butt in races.   In fact, I think "pathetically slow"  has a nice ring to it and will become a regular run description here on RA.  

Chris, good to see you, and so nice to have you starting the daily!

Where's that little Beer?

SloHand, congrats on 2nd in AG last night!  86°?   I would have melted (like the wicked witch).

We have an 8-hour drive ahead of us today, going back to Wyoming for another short backpacking trip with our Japanese friends.  Have to finish packing, then I'll take the dogs for a short run before we start driving.  Back on Wednesday.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

SLO... nice race dude!!

If anyone is interested, the IAAF World Championship in Berlin starts today.  Here is the schedule (probably Berlin time): (Go Shalene, Kara, Bernard, Ritz, etc..)

http://berlin.iaaf.org/results/racedate=08-15-2009/sex=M/discCode=1500/combCode=hash/roundCode=h/startlist.html#detM_1500_hash_h

2 miles with Tory and Sadie at a blazingly fast (for them) 9:24 pace in the humid 71°.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Where's that little Beer?

No news yet. <tapping foot>

Nice race, Slo!

There is a thing in Maryland to try to attract more women runners, Women's Distance Festival.  Today was a 5K, all women, so PDR and dawndaughter2 ran it, and I volunteered -- since I had my camera they asked me to take pictures, and take pictues I did.  I think I have about 150 I need to wade through.  

After their race, I went for a 5 mile recovery run.  I'm not used to running so late.  I don't know how you afternoon and evening runners do it -- I just lose motivation if I don't run first thing.  For me this was "late" -- after 9:00 Smile

5.3 miles, 49:05, 9:15/mi, AHR 151 (77% MHR)

I'm starving!  Haven't had breakfast yet!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

dg.

After their race, I went for a 5 mile recovery run.  I'm not used to running so late.  I don't know how you afternoon and evening runners do it -- I just lose motivation if I don't run first thing.  For me this was "late" -- after 9:00 Smile

5.3 miles, 49:05, 9:15/mi, AHR 151 (77% MHR)

I'm starving!  Haven't had breakfast yet!

(i'm helping)

that is late!   (your run, this time...)     I'm debating about what to do next weekend, one option is an 8K, but it doesn't start until 9:30.    

Mary, yay.

Nice to see you Chris.  did you answer the dump question yet?

Where's Peter???

45 min. or so of assorted core work this morning.  

happily for you all I'm not especially gabby today.  ;-)

SteveP

Give me momma's phone number, I'll straighten her out.

Cripes Breger, most of the tribe has been away for a week and I'm missing them...I can't imagine how glad you are to see DS.

Last nigh was the first time I've slept in a while and DD#3 came in at 1:00AM. She asked if she could spend the night. A guy she dated briefly in high school called her up....6 times. He never talked to her...just silence or music blasting from the other end. She shares a place with DD#2 who's with DW and DS and the dog.  If she wants me to, I'll get involved. She could have went to her bio dad's house, but she came her. Knuckle Head's truck drove by at least twice once she got here.

DD#2 is getting a new place closer to work...We've talked with DD#3 about moving back in...I think that's prolly gonna happen now.

Any way, the tribe is headed home. Having a dog means you never have to vacuum the sheets again!!!!

SteveP

SteveP

happily for you all I'm not especially gabby today.  ;-)

We still love ya DG

SteveP

I can answer the dump query, I think!

Chris took his garbage to the dump (sanitation landfill for you collegial types) -- and I hope his dog, if he has one, got to make the trip.  Dogs love going to the dump.  It has to be scent heaven for them.  That's a chore.  Once the chore is out of the way, he gets to have fun so he's going to the beach. 

Some dumps (the one in Florence, near where CNY runner lives, is was like this) have areas where you can put stuff  you don't want but you think is perhaps too good to just toss.  Then others can help themselves.

grins,

A

geez, that near-beer has a long fermenting time going on there.  must be a special and rare vintage!

Our local Center for Restorative Justice held a 5K today--of course, being old hippie types from the Woodstock Era, precision processing isn't high on their list of priorities.  So we ran a 4.3 race.   Peace.

Masters 2000 miles

Ribs, <<<   >>>     I hope you are noting how incredibly discrete and kind I am today.

Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

Aamos, I was so tired last night that at the end of 8 innings, knowing Francisco was coming in with a 2 run cushion, I happily went to bed.  Not so happy this morning when I saw the shocking headline!  Some game!  Spareribs