Masters Running

Cinco de Mayo (hold the mustard), 5.5.16 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

No workout today - I finally got a good night's sleep last night, and even slept in a bit this morning. I have a big blister on my big toe, a mystery ache in my UB (upper butt), and I have a half marathon on Saturday. Life is good!

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I hope your owies resolve quickly.

Busy day at work, so no time to stop.

4 miles for me on the TM this morning watching Gravity.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

So what's the dope for today?

Quick fly by post, an easy auto pilot 7.5 mile run with a light breeze, clear skies and 42 deg temp.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

No workout today - I finally got a good night's sleep last night, and even slept in a bit this morning.

I have a big blister on my big toe, a mystery ache in my UB (upper butt),

and I have a half marathon on Saturday. Life is good!

Almost like jay today with no workout and good sleep straight through for 8 hours as usual but no half-marathon to look forward to and no blisters or any mystery about my aches. <<<(old/old)>>> as getting ready to go up early to GS-land for the weekend and some meetings next week. What's there not to love about flying when it makes it only two hours away instead of the three-days passenger ships took when I was his age.  No wonder I love getting old so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Good morning. I had my doctor's appointment today. In general news, I am getting a new cholesterol medicine since my LDL keeps going up with the current one.

Then we talked about the tingling/numbness I had for a few days. The MRI wasn't approved because the doctor had ordered it without even seeing me. But after talking for a while we are going to take a different path anyway. If the tingling comes back he'll send me to a neurologist. But he is going to have me take a stress test to check on a couple other things. So that's where it all stands.

The doctor doing the stress test is a runner. "Always out running marathons" was what my doctor said about him.  I told him that I ran a couple marathons years ago but I get too bored when I run that long and I told him about the article about marijuana helping that. That made him laugh. He had read the article too.

Since I was going a bit stir crazy I ran 3 after the appointment. No tingling sensations but I did take it very slowly.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good still just barely morning,

Get better Deez.  And good taking it slow Dave.

Jay, DH has had the same issue (not the blister) and has been riding his bike to supplement longer workouts and that's helping, he thinks.

8 for me, just lovely, too.  We did get the rain and cool front, so it stayed below 70 degrees for all my miles this am!  Will probably go run the bridge after work.

Observing all the chaos around me (e.g., the person who does our DNA testing telling the person moving to her cube to expect a number of calls for her from folks requesting results, and giving him the number to forward them to for her), which equates to gross inefficiency, makes me think my agency subscribes to the managerial theory of change for the sake of change.  You know:  just so we know who is (and is not) in charge.

Erika!    Great run!  You're going to fly in Green Bay!!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

It is odd that this SW MN Scandinavian community now has more Latino immigrants than European ones. I am sure that there will be many many Cinco de Mayo parties today.  Interesting reading in Wikipedia that had the French succeeded in their quest in Mexico that they would have then supported the Confederate Army which could have change the outcome of the Civil War.

Whew, finally got yesterday’s daily read. I can relate to those who have had drizzly runs (or non-runs). We had our share lately but the sun has been most welcome this week! On Monday MrStarr and I got in the first bike ride of the year on a rare windless day.

Rosie, I started reading the journal yesterday.  It reminds me of Wild by Cheryl Strayed who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail. The trail she hiked is much more remote than the AT and she was alone for quite a bit of it as I recall.  I’d love to hike part of these trails someday.  Oh, Deeze, sure hope you get better. Henrun,  hope the shot and the ART works for the pain in the knee.  Glad to see Slo getting in some miles.  Green Bay is coming up in 17 days!  I think I will take the afternoon off to bike, run and plant flowers before orchestra practice tonight.  See you and have a great day. MikeE, I somehow survived without trying any of that stuff.

Every morning this week I have spent some time in my sun room before work for devotions/renewal while I wait for that sun to appear. I am sometimes rewarded with a glimpse of the wood ducks down by the lake. Yesterday there were two of them perched on the top rung of the boat canopy and another pair in the water.  I even saw her go into the wood duck house but don’t know if she is laying eggs there. Sadly, the purple martin house has a few occupants but hopefully the females will arrive soon from South America to start nesting.

Oh, I had my first run with the Zombies Run app yesterday. I didn’t know what to expect but it was kind of fun!   I ran to the Y and got a new key tag since mine disappeared.  I don’t usually run with my phone since I don’t a huge data plan. Oh, I have new shoes too, Brooks Adrenaline GTS 15, my old standby.  Last time I tried the Brooks Transcend and like them too.  $67 from SierraTradingPost with a coupon and free shipping.  They always get me with add on clearance stuff, so another  running bra came with  the shoes Smile

Wood Ducks with my zoom lens

Purple Martins

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

Starr - I love the pictures!  What a nice idea to take a few minutes in the morning for devotions/renewal while the sun comes up.

Dave - when you said stress test, I thought you meant your job...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Ran 3 miles - chilly, but very nice

Love the bird photos. On my run, I saw a grackle with a blue oval object. The grackle took off, leaving a blue robin's egg in the middle of the very busy bike path - no obvious robins or trees around. I am not the surrogate bird mother - this might get tricky.

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

StarrRuns welcome to the Zombies Run on RA crowd! Another member is Mariposai. You probably already know this, but Zombies Run will work with the songs you have on your phone. Better, in fact, than with a streaming service. For me data is not an issue so I do use Pandora with Zombies Run. But, it does result in glitches. Today, it meant music playing along with the story. Translation, I have no idea what was being said.

I went off for 5 miles, outside(!) this morning. Finally, the rain stopped for a few hours. It is still cloudy. No sun in the forecast until Monday. But, if it can just stop raining for a day!  We are going to drown here in CT! As to the run, all is still not well with my lower leg. I made an appointment to see my orthopedist two weeks from this Friday. I am really hoping I need to cancel before then because all of the pain and stiffness is gone.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Henrun

There's a wonderful article on Ed Whitlock in WSJ. I want to be like him when I grow up.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/time-cant-beat-ed-whitlock-runnings-85-year-old-legend-1462404725

Went out for 3 on this cloudy, windy day. First day after my steroid shot. Best run I've had in months. No pain-should get better according to ortho. The downside is that it's only a temporary fix, but with PT ending tomorrow I should be ok for awhile. Just entered a 5K in 9 days. I'm keeping the ART in reserve.

Henrun on steroids,,, I predict an AG win!

Twocat and Posai, do the Zombies ever really get you?  Mission 2 & 3 done this afternoon. I took off for the day at 1:15 to enjoy the sunshine and no wind. Just before I left work we heard a siren and it stopped right outside our office. The police were there and came inside. It turns out that someone was down on the floor right outside our office door. We had not heard a thing but help was there soon. I sure hope she is OK.

Another terrible thing I saw today was a white bird, some sort of duck walking in the grass with a broken wing. It's mate was just following along behind it, so sad.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

StarrRuns it depends on what you mean by caught. If you turn on the zombie chases they will catch you. Well sort of. You will be forced to drop X items to distract the zombies. So, technically you escape. In the story you never get caught or, well, there would be no more story! 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did my last tough workout before I head east for the NEC.  13 miles with the 10 in the middle at a bit faster pace.  First day running at 770 wiped me out.

That's it--gotta go.  See ya!

Mariposai

StarrRuns welcome to the Zombies Run on RA crowd! Another member is Mariposai. You probably already know this, but Zombies Run will work with the songs you have on your phone. Better, in fact, than with a streaming service. For me data is not an issue so I do use Pandora with Zombies Run. But, it does result in glitches. Today, it meant music playing along with the story. Translation, I have no idea what was being said.

StarrRuns, welcome to the crowd. Zombies run keeps me company everyrun, except when my rocking running partners decides to show up for the run.

Only 3 miles today, then off for 4 days from running since I have a whirldwind trip to Spokane, Tucson, AZ, Portland, OR and back to home in the next 4 days. Long story, but a special one.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard