Masters Running

40s and Beyond On the Run - Even When You Think You Can't . . . (Wk of 10/12/08) (Read 606 times)

Jewels - You might check into a good sports massage therapist and a foam roller. If she can get someone to dig deep (and it will hurt like an SOB) and loosen that up, it'll help. And she can do quite a bit herself using an foam roller. A round one, not one that's flat on the bottom. Cindy - Have fun this weekend! Like you said, as long as you stay ahead of The Broom . . . Hi-Ya to everyone else as well! Did an hour of core/strength with minimal leg work this a.m. I was doing this exercise where I jump up onto the BOSU, land on one foot, and balance for a few seconds before stepping off. On the 3rd or 4th jump, my foot went sliding right off the front of that thing and I went flying, landing flat on my back. Shocked Scared the pee-waddelin' outta me for a second before I realized I was okay. Yes, I am the definition of grace, in all its splendor! When you look the word up in the dictionary, there's a picture of me flying through the air, appendages flailing all over the place. Well, I have my weekend to myself. The Hub and his bud are going to the Bay Area to a Raider's Game. They get great seats on the end zone, and no, not the Black Hole. That's some scary stuff there, I tell ya.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

.....popped out for a slow-n-easy 3.2 w/Mairead.... 59* F/35% H...didn't sleep real well again last night, however, much easier, steady, slow run w/.2m w/u walk & .1m c/d walk ....felt both easier & faster...had to pay attention to keep my speed down...best run I've had in 2wks! nothing more now till Sunday....(insert "I be skeered smile) Jewels: what Leslie said....also, most PT's require a Dr's note...whereas massage therapists (for now) do not...also, often there are really good therapist/personal trainers @ some workout facilities that can help work w/some good stretches & such...& you can sub. the foam roller (some of it) w/a good ole' fashioned rolling pin! have her sit in a hot bath tub for 10-15 mins. then apply...actually, many ways to handle this...just to figure out what works best for her & avail $$
      Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
      wildchild

Carolyn

Cindy, good luck on Sunday! I hope it's cooler than they're predicting. And I love the picture - that was from the Slacker, wasn't it? Too bad we weren't facing the other way so we could see the view better - but that would have been uphill, so I guess not... Leslie, I liked your rail trail picture too. I don't think that would get boring. And congrats on your award!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Top 'O the World!

Thanks! & Yes Carolyn, that IS from the Slacker...looked just like that past few days..Yes but I haven't have my camera with me (I have a huge photo file...got asked once if I was a "local or a gawker" 'cause I was out shooting.. like you have to be bored w/the scenery if you live here!! Roll eyes - so my car has "Native/Tourist" stickers Big grin) & I hope so on the temps too!! one of the news folks on Chan 4 made the comment (ref Sunday's temps) "Run fast!" Roll eyes there IS a beer tent @ the end, so I'll know where to find DH!!
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Cindy, good luck girl!! Hope you have a blast. Sounds like you're going into it nice and relaxed, and also maybe healed up a bit, so may suprise yourself. We're rooting for you to start, run, walk, finish, guzzle some beer, and whatever else the day brings. Way to go Leslie! Congrats on your award. Even us "no recognition needed" types like to hear job well done. Don't think your upcoming job transition is going to pose much of a problem....that award will look nice on the ol' resume Smile I'm breaking for lunch, so just hitting a couple of highlights. Howdy and good runs to everyone Smile
            Progress Trumps Pefection
              No work today...got an nice 4 miler in with the DW. It is a beautiful day in NW OK. about 70F and no wind. Congratulations Fattozig on the award. It's nice to be recognized. Yes, Carol, our Cowboys have not had a good week. Black eye Good running to all!
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

Yes good luck to Cindy and Doug on Sunday!! oh and if it ain't working sure no harm in bagging it and live to run another day. 3.1 easy in the Elixars (more neutral) and got along well. Sure not dissing the Adrenalines they are great shoes just apparently not great for me as Carol has them and I think Kelly has the trail version. Leslie in your explosive thread, last summer when I went climbing with Colorado Mountain School was asking my guide about food and he said cliff bars always gave him gas, so I dropped them and it seemed to help, when climbing I really suffered with bloating. Dunno if it would help but thought I would mention it. Jewels hope dd gets some relief with the ITBS issue. Kelly that just sucks the no shows I mean. Sorry I missed ya last time around and that truck driver position is still open. Wink Wink hey to everyone else out there

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Leslie in your explosive thread, last summer when I went climbing with Colorado Mountain School was asking my guide about food and he said cliff bars always gave him gas, so I dropped them and it seemed to help, when climbing I really suffered with bloating. Dunno if it would help but thought I would mention it.
                  Definitely something to consider . . . Cindy - Thanks for giving more guided info to Jewels! Smile Just a few more things to do, then I'm outta here for the weekend!

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Leslie and Cindy--I'm so jealous of the trails and roads you get to run on out west. If I win the big lottery, I'm just going to travel around the country running cool trails. Big grin Keep the pics coming for us flatlanders! Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

I second what Tim just said.......keep the pics comin'! MTA: 7 mile run this morning! Woohoo! About half way thru the run a guy was standing along the road and as I jogged by he asked if I had come down this way earlier, I said "no". He points down next to his foot and there is a hand gun laying there. He said he had already called the cops. Yikes....at my turn around point came back that way and the cops were there. How random is that? Sorta creepy.... Good Luck weekend racers, Cindy, Doug, Carol and her mom! Jewels
                      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Top 'O the World!

not such a good thing Jewels...a "misplaced" handgun??!! not good! However, Great Job on the 7 miler!! Wink How cool is this - running a marathon just a few miles from my house...I'm sitting here relaxing - drinking coffee...starting to pull my "race stuff" into one location in the house...popped into the expo yesterday so I could get Doug's registration upgraded to the full (they suggested that we do that 1st thing as they expect a sell out)....resisted most urges to buy stuff....there was a vendor that had "Superman" tech shirts - with a 26.2 squished into the diamond instead of an "S" ....I'm really thinking that I need to go back & get that for Doug! & another one w/puppy footprints that says something like "Training Partner"....whattado, whattado? I already have lots of tech shirts...Doug, not so much (being a newbie! Big grin) I have a question for you guys...I should've asked sooner, but anyway....I am putting names of cancer heros - those that are still in the fight, in remission, or that we've lost - on my race singlet....Is there anyone that you would like me to put on my singlet??
                          My friend Sandy, who lost the battle 2 years ago. My 2 Mother-In-Laws, (one was my husbands step-mom), Mary and Marion, both lost the battle a few years ago. My step-dad, who just passed away earlier this year, Jim. O.K., now I'm friggin' crying...... Jewels

Top 'O the World!

Sorry!! but thanks.
                              Nice 7 Jewels! And WHAAATTT??? A "misplaced" handgun. Gotta be a story behind that one. I'm sorry to hear that cancer has touched your family so much. Nasty friggin' disease! Cindy, oh, oh, oh...you're getting close! Big grin Watch that coffee intake, could be dangerous mixed w/ those endorphins Wink I hear if you fly, you get disqualified. BTW, I think you need BOTH of those shirts Evil grin. Race Report - Komen Dallas Race for the Cure 5K We're back from the Dallas Komen Race for the Cure. It was a spectacular day....maybe not quite cerulean blue skies, but clear, cool and crisp (for here) nonetheless. Got there plenty early for hubby to get in the Amer. Airlines group picture, and as it turns out, I wound up being their photographer. People started handing me cameras, and I thought it was just for a few extra shots. Turns out those were the only pics to be taken for the group. Wound up standing on a chair inside a mall restaurant to try and capture the rather large group (guessing around 150). Hope I did OK Confused We were supposed to meet mom at the finish line before the start so I could help her attach her timing chip, but she couldn't wait so found someone else to help her and headed to the starting line before we were done with the pics inside the mall. Turns out she had left me 5 VM messages. Thinking she was a little keyed up! I had met another AA employee who had also entered the timed event, and she didn't know where to line up, etc., so we went to the porta potties and then headed to the start. She's just getting back into running, and was really nice. Found mom at the start, and visited a bit with her. Tried to start my Ipod, but it locked up between screens (that's a new one), so was DOA. Maybe a sign I should bag it for a while. Soon we were off. Mom got out in front and seemed to be cruising along well for as long as I could see her. I was feeling pretty good, so just decided to keep it nice and steady. Looked at Garmin during first mile to avoid going too fast for my own good, and then didn't look after that. Nice course through neighborhoods of N. Dallas...a little up and down, but no major hills...so much better than the last race where the hills ate my lunch. Mom's time was 26:49, and she got 2nd in her age group Big grin. We couldn't find her main competition prior to the race, in spite of my new found AA friend trying to read likely ladies' bibs for their ages. She even struck up a conversation w/ one of them to take a peek. So the day was complete with spying, but no Tanya Harding scenarios played out Evil grin. She had a blast and enjoyed it immensely. My time was 28:06 for 15th out of 54 in my age group. Was most happy w/ my splits though...learned lessons from going out too fast last time, and kept it real for where I am right now...Mile 1 - 8:58, Mile 2 - 9:23 (included a walk thru the water stop), Mile 3 - 8:52, last 10th at 6:46 pace. We hung around afterwards to see the survivor parade Cool, grab some coffee and snacks, and wait to see about mom's AG award. All in all a good day! We got a nice pick of me and mom with the Target Dog, so if I can re-remember how to upload pics, I'll have to post that one later. Wish my hubby could have run or at least walk it, but he decided he likes being pain free, so decided to pass. Geesh, that's a long report for such a short race, but I was reporting for 2, so maybe get some slack Wink OK, Cindy....we're waiting....
                              Progress Trumps Pefection
                                Nice race Carol! Your splits were right on.....15 outta 54 is super! Your mom's time was a stellar one as well. She's quite a runner. Give her a big shout out congrats from the 40's and beyond group. Your hubby played it smart, being injured is the pits and if he wasn't feeling up to it then so be it. Hope the "big" pic you took turned out well! I finally finished my speech this morning.......now practice, practice, practice and more practice reading it so I don't look like a fool in front of all those young folks in my class! Jewels